A Final, Pre-Draft, Look at the Depth-Chart.... (1 Viewer)

DownWithDisease

Very Banned
Reaction score
I wanted to get a look at the depth chart going into the draft and get an idea of eveyone's ideas about the major need areas of this team...
Offense
QB - Drew Brees, Jaime Martin, Jason Fife
RB - Deuce McCallister, Reggie Bush, Aaron Stecker
FB - Mike Karney, Keith Joseph
WR - Marques Colston, Devery Henderson, Terrance Copper, David Patten, Jamal Jones
TE - Eric Johnson, Mark Campbell, Billy Miller
LT - Jamaal Brown, Zach Streif
LG - Jamar Nesbit, Jonathon Goodwin
C - Jeff Faine, Goodwin
RG - Jahri Evans, Goodwin
RT - Jon Stinchcomb, Rob Petitti

Defense
DE - Will Smith, Willie Whitehead, Josh Cooper
DT - Hollis Thomas, Rodney Leisle
DT - Brian Young, Antwan Lake
DE - Charles Grant, Rob Ninkovich, Josh Cooper
SLB - Scott Fujita, Alfred Fincher, Troy Evans
MLB - Brian Simmons, Mark Simoneau
WLB - Scott Shanle, Mark Simoneau
CB - Mike McKenzie, Fred Thomas, Jason Craft, Groce, Phillips
CB - Jason David, Fred Thomas, Jason Craft, Groce, Phillips
SS - Roman Harper, Kevin Kaesviharn, Jay Bellamy, Gleason
FS - Josh Bullock, Kaesviharn

K - Olindo Mare
P - Steve Weatherford

I may have left some names of guys down the depth chart off, but I don't think I missed anyone of consequence. From the looks of that right there, I'd have to say WR is our biggest need going into next year. We don't really have a # 2 WR, and Colston hasn't really proven himself as a # 1 yet. I'm still holding out hope we pull a trade this weekend for Darrell Jackson...WR is a big need. We also need depth along the interior of our O-line, and Nesbit is only a marginal starter. The DT rotation is nothing special, but I don't think it's that bad... Actually, same for the CBs. We could use another FS, but that's not a major need IMO. LB depth is also a area of need and concern for me. There's no depth behind Fujita or Shanle... Simoneau is a quality depth guy, but he couldn't play SLB. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Great post/topic

The 1st rounder should be made on a starter for the year. If they don't see someone who could be a solid starter week one I'd say they trade down to the 2nd. Perhaps DJax and SEA 2nd for our 1st. This gives us a great vet WR and another 2nd round pick for sold depth BPA on defense.

When looking over the depth chart, I was kind of surprised how I came away from it feeling... CB really isn't that big of a need after the David signing. We've actually got quality depth there in Thomas and Craft, and Phillips still has some potential.

WR is a spot that we need a starter for next year. It's the only spot on the team that really needs a starter right now. Copper or Henderson... or even Patten, could be the guy, but that's a pretty big gamble to take with a team that is pretty darn close to being championship caliber.

When looking over the depth chart, I was kind of surprised how I came away from it feeling... CB really isn't that big of a need after the David signing. We've actually got quality depth there in Thomas and Craft, and Phillips still has some potential.

WR is a spot that we need a starter for next year. It's the only spot on the team that really needs a starter right now. Copper or Henderson... or even Patten, could be the guy, but that's a pretty big gamble to take with a team that is pretty darn close to being championship caliber.

I think Copper is perfect for the job. He blocks well and he is an ok receiver. In this offense the 2 is not going to catch alot of balls anyway.
I wouldn't be surprised if our third receiver or TE had more receptions than our 2.

That's a pretty good lucking depth chart.....the Saints still have the draft to go too.

We could strenghten the interior of the offensive line (nesbit, solid starter..not dominate) we could get more athletic in the interrior of the defensive line (young scares nobody) we could get even YOUNGER in the widereceiver spot (Colston, Cooper, Henderson, are solid to me) and we can stand to get some youth at corner.

1st rd; Corner
2nd rd: Reciever
3rd rd: OG
4th rd: DT & LB

Either way, we have enough picks to address all the areas that need a shot of youth, so guys dont get caught up in what should be addressed first, its not when there selected its who we select!

I don't know if this is the biggest one, but I will be more comfortable with another backup quaterback.

To me, John Beck can be a perfect back-up for years to come, and a good investment in case that we decide to take the same route the falcons took with Schaub.

Beck is not the youngest, the better athlete, or even the best prospect on this draft. But at the end, I think he is the rookie quaterback most ready to start a game this september, even more ready than Russell or Quinn. We are not looking to develop a quaterback for the future, we need a reliable backup for years to come.

I have heard a lot of talk about him recently, and I think I am prepared even to take him in the third round.

I think Copper is perfect for the job. He blocks well and he is an ok receiver. In this offense the 2 is not going to catch alot of balls anyway.
I wouldn't be surprised if our third receiver or TE had more receptions than our 2.

That's a good argument... I could honestly see Copper filling that role nicely too, but there is a definite risk in making that decision.

The lack of depth at LB is kind of scary too... especially at SLB. I'd hate to see Fincher in there having to attempt to fill Fujita's shoes. Does anyone know if Simmons has any experience at SLB? He could slide over and Simoneau could move back into MLB.

I don't know if this is the biggest one, but I will be more comfortable with another backup quaterback.

To me, John Beck can be a perfect back-up for years to come, and a good investment in case that we decide to take the same route the falcons took with Schaub.

Beck is not the youngest, the better athlete, or even the best prospect on this draft. But at the end, I think he is the rookie quaterback most ready to start a game this september, even more ready than Russell or Quinn. We are not looking to develop a quaterback for the future, we need a reliable backup for years to come.

I have heard a lot of talk about him recently, and I think I am prepared even to take him in the third round.

Why not take someone Payton can coach up. I rather a guy like Troy Smith with athletic ability that can take a few years to learn. We could sign or trade for a back up QB if we want to.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom