A float in tonight’s Nyx parade has struck and killed a woman (Paradegoer also killed by float at Endymion) (1 Viewer)

Im not that guy to believe in the voodoo,juju,hex,bad karma etc,but it is pretty weird that 2 folks are dead,2 folks fell from floats,2 folks fell from the balcony,all while 2 bodies sit in the Hard Rock.

In second month of 2020

So no one will be run over by a single float? By breaking up the tandem floats you are essentially creating more opportunities for people to get run over, or hit. To be perfectly honest, it is reasonably safe to say, most natives are well aware of the large tandem floats as they are used over and over and over, in their given parade. As an example with last night. It was the S.S. Captain Eddie. A traditional yearly float, everyone is familiar with. Just as the Smokey Mary in Orpheus and the Bacchasourus in Bacchus. These are all known as multi-segmented floats.
So lets take down all bridges next, because it will stop people from jumping. I am not a believer in your philosophy, where government intervenes by implementing regulations in a way, that are perceived to help stupid people, from doing stupid things. Just me. We’ll agree to disagree. Hsppy Mardi Gras!

Possibly what they are trying to do is limit the risk of a person run over by more than 1 float. If each float is pulled by its own tractor, it also provides another set of eyes on every float who could see a person in the road or people acknowledging that a person is in the road instead of the person pulling 3-4 floats and someone falling under float 1 and that driver not knowing.

As for working toward a solution. I know krews used to have people walking along side the floats with a pole to prevent people from getting too close. I don't know if that's a good solution either because those people are pretty exposed to the crowds. What I'm thinking is, for the longer connected floats, something that would cover that span and prevent people from being able to cross between the floats. Maybe like an accordion material similar to what is used between passenger train cars.
This is my thought as well. This should not be a very difficult problem to solve at all. Simplest would be some type of barrier between the two floats. In addition to that they could have a person on watch between the floats with radio communication to the driver.

My other thought is that people have taken safety at Mardi Gras for granted and all involved from the crews, the city, the police, and the float builders should promote an etiquette and safety campaign. They could make a caricature mardi gras jerk being stupid on the parade route ruining the fun for everyone else and it would probably catch on just as much as Mardi Gras Mambo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom