A float in tonight’s Nyx parade has struck and killed a woman (Paradegoer also killed by float at Endymion) (1 Viewer)

This is so sad and unnecessary. To think that someone who started the day with every intention of having a good time and then they are gone in a flash just makes my heart hurt for them and the ones they leave behind. Never take today for granted because tomorrow is not promised.

So it was another tandem float where someone tried to cross over??

That info isn't really known or released as of yet. There's video showing the float pass and the immediate reaction to the accident. The crowd doesn't look very thick or aggressive so I'm not sure how this happened other than someone being unnecessarily close or trying to get a bead between floats? The story being floated was that he jumped for a lighted bead and either slipped when coming down or was accidentally pushed by someone else. I don't think he died immediately as I heard they got to the point of taking him to surgery at the hospital at which point he died.

I'll say this. It's more crowded where we catch the parades and I won't be going as close to the floats anymore, especially with my kid in my arms.

A ridiculous knee-jerk reaction.
Exactly! So we should ban automobiles when someone is accidentally killed in an automobile wreck? Ridiculous. Instead of urging continued caution and before next carnival season coming up with a way to help solve the problem, let’s show how mindless we can be. Dumb!
Add in now, finding all the added tractors it will take and costs and logistics of getting the tractors hooked up to the tandem sections. A bunch of moronic leaders.

So it was another tandem float where someone tried to cross over??
A lady witness said on the late local news, he was pushed under the float. She said nothing about if he was scrambling for something. We shall see soon enough. If indeed he was pushed, the pushee needs to be brought to justice!

Exactly! So we should ban automobiles when someone is accidentally killed in an automobile wreck? Ridiculous. Instead of urging continued caution and before next carnival season coming up with a way to help solve the problem, let’s show how mindless we can be. Dumb!
Add in now, finding all the added tractors it will take and costs and logistics of getting the tractors hooked up to the tandem sections. A bunch of moronic leaders.
Sure, it's a knee jerk reaction but Americans are stupider today than they were years ago. We do dumb things because we believe we are entitled to do so. We rope off public land and claim it as our own, and while we should know that crossing through floats is wrong, we know we can do what we want and ain't nobody gone stop us.

I saw video and my first thought was how fast the float was moving...
Was not moving that fast. Less than 10mph. How fast should they go?? The fact is, regardless of the speed, someone goes under the wheel of a float, they are not going to survive. And the drivers cannot be warned in time to stop. Nothing to do with the speed.

Sure, it's a knee jerk reaction but Americans are stupider today than they were years ago. We do dumb things because we believe we are entitled to do so. We rope off public land and claim it as our own, and while we should know that crossing through floats is wrong, we know we can do what we want and ain't nobody gone stop us.
Cannot protect stupid.

I saw video and my first thought was how fast the float was moving...

thats another problem with the tandem and super floats. They have problems making turns. So they fall way behind and then speed to catch the rest of the parade. Its going to be very interesting how this plays out. Those big floats are a huge part of what the biggest parades do. And those parades are also the one where the money and power ride on. There is going to be a lot of movement of the invisible strings behind our political system on this.

Was not moving that fast. Less than 10mph. How fast should they go?? The fact is, regardless of the speed, someone goes under the wheel of a float, they are not going to survive. And the drivers cannot be warned in time to stop. Nothing to do with the speed.
I obviously cannot give you a number, but I felt that it was moving faster than most parades I have seen. It was faster than walking speed, which is too fast IMO. A float moving that fast certainly decreased the margin of error for drunk idiots chasing lighted beads.

thats another problem with the tandem and super floats. They have problems making turns. So they fall way behind and then speed to catch the rest of the parade. Its going to be very interesting how this plays out. Those big floats are a huge part of what the biggest parades do. And those parades are also the one where the money and power ride on. There is going to be a lot of movement of the invisible strings behind our political system on this.
Well blame previous leaders for capping the number of floats an organization can have. The organizations that already exceeded the limit, were grandfathered in. So they, along with the super krewes, went to the tandem design that allowed for more members to join and essentially circumventing the newly imposed regulation. So now what? These leaders are breaking the law by allowing more individual (non-segmented) floats! Again; mindless wonders!

I obviously cannot give you a number, but I felt that it was moving faster than most parades I have seen. It was faster than walking speed, which is too fast IMO. A float moving that fast certainly decreased the margin of error for drunk idiots chasing lighted beads.
It was less than 10! It is a standard. And if you are rolled over at 5 mph, or 10 mph, or 100 mph (never would happen) by a float; you die!
I will repeat myself. CANNOT PROTECT STUPID!

Cannot protect stupid.
Can't ignore it either when stupid is surrounded by more stupid. I don't know if busting up tandem floats is the right call, but when it comes to public safety you have to make decisions based off of the variables you can control to mitigate these accidents.

It was less than 10! It is a standard. And if you are rolled over at 5 mph, or 10 mph, or 100 mph (never would happen) by a float; you die!
I will repeat myself. CANNOT PROTECT STUPID!
Stupid gets people killed I won’t deny that. But that isn’t the only issue. Overall safety has to be addressed. Personally I would not stand at the very front of any crowd 20-30 people deep because of the chance of cumulative stupid behind you pushing you under. You could say anyone standing in the front is stupid I suppose. But is it the kind of stupid that should get you killed? That would be harsh.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom