A good persepctive of our universe... (1 Viewer)

I don't think it went if the earth was a CD. It was something like our entire solar system being a CD then the galaxy would be the size of earth. I don't even know if that would be accurate either though.

Oh, but don;t forget that we are expanding into something that didn;t exist before that.

Joe

Last edited:
yeh, if only religion understood just how insignificant we really are.

Religion does the opposite, make us more significant than we seem to be.

It's pretty ridiculous to assume that anything with the size and the wonder of the universe and the things in it just happened by chance and that there is no higher power at work.

I'm not talking about religion -- I'm talking about the things that science can't explain away.

I don't even know if there really is chance or true randomness. Why can't we generate a truly random number in programming?

It's always existed, it just changes forms. We already know that matter can neither be created or destroyed. You can change the form of matter, but you can't get rid of it. So, it has to have always existed in one form or another.

It's all energy. Matter is just a more condensed form of energy and radiation is a less condensed form of energy.

Depends on how you interpret the Bible, translation inconsistencies and metaphoric language...

For example, can a man be swallowed by a whale and come out three days later? Of course not. But if one were to take it as an analogy to the resurrection of the Messiah, then it begins to make sense to those who have faith.

The Bible -despite the fundamentalists insistence- shouldn't be taken literally... it was written by flawed human beings, with many of the stories being passed down from oral traditions.

Likewise, logical conclusions can be refuted if the basic premise of the argument is disputed.

The problem is the definition of God keeps changing. How can you prove or disprove a moving target? And the problem with analogies is that everybody can make up their own and each can be just as valid. Are we looking for absolutism in a relative universe?

I used to be an atheist and used logic as a hammer but now I'm an agnostic. I understand that we don't know everything (yet) so what we don't know can be true no matter how unlikely. And yes, atheism and logic is a belief system. Just because one system can explain more things than another doesn't make it the absolute truth, it's just more truthful than the system it was being compared against.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom