A Great What If Question... (1 Viewer)

abnrgr

Rangers Lead the Way!
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The Butterfly effect proposed by this USA Today article is outstanding.

So what if we had stayed put and not moved up for Davenport? Potentially landing a TE (which was a need) in Mark Andrews. We don’t sign Cook and he doesn’t fumble the ball against the Bucs. Imagine what Brees could have done with that guy as a TE.

Makes me dislike trading up more than ever. Great what if question...

SweetT

Old alias known as FLASH
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We might make a mistake from time to time but I will always be in favor of 1 stud rather than 2 good players. This however might be the 1 year I’d be ok trading back. With the salary cap purge I’d be ok with 2 good rather than 1 stud. Maybe
I’m actually against trading down this year. The only trade partner I can see tangling with is Mia for their late 2nd rd pick, but this year we need to replenish the roster. However, let’s say a team is willing to give up a 1st next year like we did in the Ingram trade. Then, we could have a puncher’s chance at DJ next year. Ironically, NE was originally slated to pick 28th that year.

jasonsw

Long live Duke and Goose
Reaction score
Sometimes your past shapes your future.
Yeah it does. What i was trying get at is that analyzing players Saints should have drafted in the past instead of whomever, is at best a nauseating excercise

Trey W.

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I’m actually against trading down this year. The only trade partner I can see tangling with is Mia for their late 2nd rd pick, but this year we need to replenish the roster. However, let’s say a team is willing to give up a 1st next year like we did in the Ingram trade. Then, we could have a puncher’s chance at DJ next year. Ironically, NE was originally slated to pick 28th that year.
Who is DJ? If we have a 1-5 1st round pick next year we need to get Stingley CB LSU. Him either paired with Lattimore or taking over should we let him go will improve this secondary

SweetT

Old alias known as FLASH
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Who is DJ? If we have a 1-5 1st round pick next year we need to get Stingley CB LSU. Him either paired with Lattimore or taking over should we let him go will improve this secondary
DJ Uiagalelei the QB out of Clemson

NeverGiveUP2

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Yea as stated in my original post I normally, and probably would still be happy, pro-trade-up.. Sean has trouble staying put and I love it. If a mistake is made from time to time so be it.... I think he has more wins than losses

mtq79

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
But Andrews was a 3rd round pick. Saints would not have taken him in the first, we didn't have a second and then he was selected a few picks before we took TQS. I guess I don't see the correlation except, man I wish we didn't draft that guy and had found a way to pick this guy ...

The what if scenario is that if the Saints don't trade up, would they have been interested in linebacker Darius Leonard who went 36th.

Last edited:

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
What if we didn't make the Ricky Williams trade?
Ditka might have lasted longer which means we probably don't get Haslett. Without Haslett we probably don't get Payton. No Payton, no Super Bowl. That's why I would never change a thing except for maybe kidnapping Carl Smith. Without him, maybe we get a halfway competent OC and win 2-5 Super Bowls with the Dome Patrol. But that scenario also probably means no Brees. So what would you choose, 2-5 Super Bowls with the Dome Patrol or Brees? Honestly, I'd probably take the Super Bowls but I LOVE that we had maybe the greatest QB that ever lived to play for us.

Saint Lattimore

Out on bond... Best Lawyer $$ can buy though..
Reaction score
What if “ifs” and “buts” were candy and nuts?

Would every day be Christmas?

baarbogast

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
If we take Mahommes, no Lattimore. Also does he sit on the benchor do we trade Brees?

SweetT

Old alias known as FLASH
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If we take Mahommes, no Lattimore. Also does he sit on the benchor do we trade Brees?
See, this is an interesting question. I don’t think Drew would have been traded, but does he retire earlier?🤔

DaSaints1967

Ringo Hambone
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What if the Cowboys had agreed to trade Tony Romo to the Saints when Payton was hired?

Under Parcells from 2003-05, Sean Payton was the Cowboys’ quarterbacks coach and then their passing game coordinator. Like Payton, Romo had played quarterback at Eastern Illinois, and Payton helped persuade Romo to sign with the Cowboys after he went undrafted in 2003, despite some heavy competition.

Payton was hired as the head coach of the New Orleans Saints in 2006. During the offseason, Payton offered a third-round draft pick for Romo, which would have been a pretty good return for Dallas then. At that point, Romo was still Drew Bledsoe’s backup and had yet to throw a pass in the NFL.
SBNation

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom