A Honest Look At Haslett/Brooks (‘00-‘04) (1 Viewer)

When you win a franchise's first playoff victory, you're never going to be underrated by those fans.

He turned the tide when that SF lineman bounced off of him and he hit Jackson to complete the comeback victory over SF. Old Saints before, New Saints (forever?) after.
I consider two eras of Saints football. The first was Meacom when the team was ran by a trust fund kid and the Benson era. And they are totally different. Like night and day.

I thought after the Brooks playoff win the braintrust tried too hard to make him think on the field instead of letting him play loose.
Exactly. Another good example of just messing with his head.

When you win a franchise's first playoff victory, you're never going to be underrated by those fans.

He turned the tide when that SF lineman bounced off of him and he hit Jackson to complete the comeback victory over SF. Old Saints before, New Saints (forever?) after.
That was a delightful "wow" moment that doesn't get discussed enough in the annals of Saints history.

I sadly think he is underrated by some fans b/c as i mentioned, I went to a game in 15 or 16 where some people (not everyone, but definitely a sizable and vocal group) were booing him even though he got us our 1st playoff victory.

Yeah, I'll defend Brooks to a degree (see my above reply) but Brooks did absolutely nothing after he left NOLA (he looked absolutely awful in his brief stint with the Raiders), so I think he was done.
If you've already had a team mess with your head (or were kind of a head case to begin with *cough*JamarcusRussell*cough*), you don't go to the Raiders to screw your head on straight.

I thought Haslett was incompetent as a coach. I thought Brooks had major talent that was squandered by an incompetent coaching staff. I believe that SP with a young AB would have been very interesting....

I thought the TV broadcast Sunday was very disrespectful when they brought up the best Saints Qbs. They showed Archie, Hebert, then Brees. No mention of Brooks at all.

And I really wish people stop saying Archie played on crap teams. From '78 - '79 he did NOT. Those teams were all better than anything Brooks ever had to play with.

Last edited:
I thought Haslett was incompetent as a coach. I thought Brooks had major talent that was squandered by an incompetent coaching staff. I believe that SP with a young AB would have been very interesting....
He IS the Quarterback Whisperer. You know, as much as we know SP can get "cute" and maybe let a guy spread his wings to see what happens (luv ya, Taysom), I don't see him trying to fit the square peg into the round hole.

Brooks was part of out first playoff win and for that I will always be grateful. But that is pretty much where my adoration for him ends.

Brooks was a horror show. He had one good year, 1. Outside of that all I remember were backwards passes against the Chargers, overhyped and overrated teams, and disappointments every single year. Haslett was a terrible coach because he would lose the locker room. He was like a child in his attitude. He hated taking responsibility and spent more time complaining about the rules than getting the job done. He played favorites with players and the year that Brooks was CLEARLY injured he played him the last 4 games when he had Jake Delhomme in the room and sat him on the bench. We lost all 4.
Brooks isn't even in the discussion of good Saints QBs in my opinion, perhaps he could join Steve Walsh as quarterbacks who could have been good but never were. Brees is the gold standard obviously. Archie was the super talented QB, likely the most talented of any we have ever had, who unfortunately was stuck on an awful team that did not care about winning in the least and in a time period in history where players had zero power. Hebert was a terrific quarterback hamstrung by a head coach who was defensive minded and an offensive coordinator better suited to played Krusty the Clown on Halloween than calling an NFL game. Hebert's skills were finally shown off when he went to Atlanta and played in a wide open offense with solid NFL receivers (even if the offensive line was suspect). Jameis has played one game but if he take Drew's lessons to heart and stays more Bruce Wayne than Batman then he could potentially be right up there in the top. He has all the physical tools in the world, the best head coach, an incredible line and RB, and potentially some solid receivers. I'm excited for the future... but Brooks and Haslett... NO. That was a terrible experience, better than Ditka and the Billy Joes but really is that something we should compare anything professional to?

I think he was a good position coach but didn’t have it all together to be a head coach. He didn’t have a very disciplined team. He and Mueller did give us an exciting turn from the iron era though and they brought in gold with Joe Horn. Like somebody already said, I felt terrible for Jeff Blake. He was playing very well when he went down and man what a pretty deep ball.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom