A Honest Look At Haslett/Brooks (‘00-‘04) (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
When you win a franchise's first playoff victory, you're never going to be underrated by those fans.

He turned the tide when that SF lineman bounced off of him and he hit Jackson to complete the comeback victory over SF. Old Saints before, New Saints (forever?) after.
That was a delightful "wow" moment that doesn't get discussed enough in the annals of Saints history.

Reaction score
When you win a franchise's first playoff victory, you're never going to be underrated by those fans.

He turned the tide when that SF lineman bounced off of him and he hit Jackson to complete the comeback victory over SF. Old Saints before, New Saints (forever?) after.
I sadly think he is underrated by some fans b/c as i mentioned, I went to a game in 15 or 16 where some people (not everyone, but definitely a sizable and vocal group) were booing him even though he got us our 1st playoff victory.

Madmarsha

I default to sarcasm
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll defend Brooks to a degree (see my above reply) but Brooks did absolutely nothing after he left NOLA (he looked absolutely awful in his brief stint with the Raiders), so I think he was done.
If you've already had a team mess with your head (or were kind of a head case to begin with *cough*JamarcusRussell*cough*), you don't go to the Raiders to screw your head on straight.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I thought Haslett was incompetent as a coach. I thought Brooks had major talent that was squandered by an incompetent coaching staff. I believe that SP with a young AB would have been very interesting....

LAhotsauce

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I thought the TV broadcast Sunday was very disrespectful when they brought up the best Saints Qbs. They showed Archie, Hebert, then Brees. No mention of Brooks at all.

And I really wish people stop saying Archie played on crap teams. From '78 - '79 he did NOT. Those teams were all better than anything Brooks ever had to play with.

Last edited:

Madmarsha

I default to sarcasm
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I thought Haslett was incompetent as a coach. I thought Brooks had major talent that was squandered by an incompetent coaching staff. I believe that SP with a young AB would have been very interesting....
He IS the Quarterback Whisperer. You know, as much as we know SP can get "cute" and maybe let a guy spread his wings to see what happens (luv ya, Taysom), I don't see him trying to fit the square peg into the round hole.

UFCSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Brooks was part of out first playoff win and for that I will always be grateful. But that is pretty much where my adoration for him ends.

Dean in L.A.

Subscribing Member
Administrator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Brooks was a horror show. He had one good year, 1. Outside of that all I remember were backwards passes against the Chargers, overhyped and overrated teams, and disappointments every single year. Haslett was a terrible coach because he would lose the locker room. He was like a child in his attitude. He hated taking responsibility and spent more time complaining about the rules than getting the job done. He played favorites with players and the year that Brooks was CLEARLY injured he played him the last 4 games when he had Jake Delhomme in the room and sat him on the bench. We lost all 4.
Brooks isn't even in the discussion of good Saints QBs in my opinion, perhaps he could join Steve Walsh as quarterbacks who could have been good but never were. Brees is the gold standard obviously. Archie was the super talented QB, likely the most talented of any we have ever had, who unfortunately was stuck on an awful team that did not care about winning in the least and in a time period in history where players had zero power. Hebert was a terrific quarterback hamstrung by a head coach who was defensive minded and an offensive coordinator better suited to played Krusty the Clown on Halloween than calling an NFL game. Hebert's skills were finally shown off when he went to Atlanta and played in a wide open offense with solid NFL receivers (even if the offensive line was suspect). Jameis has played one game but if he take Drew's lessons to heart and stays more Bruce Wayne than Batman then he could potentially be right up there in the top. He has all the physical tools in the world, the best head coach, an incredible line and RB, and potentially some solid receivers. I'm excited for the future... but Brooks and Haslett... NO. That was a terrible experience, better than Ditka and the Billy Joes but really is that something we should compare anything professional to?

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think he was a good position coach but didn’t have it all together to be a head coach. He didn’t have a very disciplined team. He and Mueller did give us an exciting turn from the iron era though and they brought in gold with Joe Horn. Like somebody already said, I felt terrible for Jeff Blake. He was playing very well when he went down and man what a pretty deep ball.

Guido Merkins

VP of Janitorial Affairs
Reaction score
It's absolute hyperbole when people claim that Haslett/Brooks was the "worst". The best era in Saints football is the current one. 2nd best is Mora and clearly 3rd best is Haslett with everything else being distantly behind those 3. Other than the Katrina year, yeah, they disappointed, but it was because they clearly had talent and were right on the cusp, but could never quite get over that hump, other than year 1. And if you are a Delhomme guy, that's cool, but go look up Delhomme and Brooks stats...they are virtually identical. No way in hell Jake takes the Saints to the Super Bowl with Jim Haslett as his coach.

We weren't great under Haslett/Brooks, but compared to Ditka, the pre Mora 80's and the entirety of the 70's, no contest.

kewee

I exist as I am, that is enough
Reaction score
They were awful. Just awful. They had one good year.

2002 was a year where they had to win just 1 game out of I believe 4 all against last place teams. They lost all of them including the Culpepper fumble/conversion on the 2 pointer to lose the game. No playoffs.

Haslett's press conferences were unbearable to watch. I wanted to punch the screen. It was always excuse after excuse why we lost. "Well, if it wasn't for those 4 interceptions in the red zone, we would have won." Made my eyes and ears bleed.
There is no number 3.

It's number 1, then Archie gets honorable mention, and the rest are just forgettable.
Brooks was not awful. Haslett, maybe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom