A Honest Look At Haslett/Brooks (‘00-‘04) (1 Viewer)

I remember. I was at the Baltimore Ravens game that Delhomme won.

Look maybe Brooks was better than I give him credit for. It's just that Haslett was SO BAD that he could have made Tom Brady look like Ryan Lief.
Haslett and that entire coaching staff were a dumpster fire. Honestly, it looked like any success the team had was in spite of the coaches and not because of them.

Really gonna bring up W-L records when one had the Dome Patrol and the other had Sammy Knight, Fred Thomas, and a good D-line but linebackers who couldn't find their arse with both hands and a map? But hey, at least Hebert was the king of the regular season and then fell apart in the playoffs, right?
From the perspective of someone that as a kid that started watching in the 1977 season and witnessed ten years of habitually losing seasons yep I sure am going to bring up regular seasons. Never a winning season until Hebert shows up. Three playoff appearances with him at the helm. I guess it’s all in perspective.

Hebert took us from laughing stock to a viable contender during his tenure. Four plus years this vs more years of being a laughing stock.

Don’t know if you were around in the 1990 season when we made a desperation first round trade for Steve Walsh when we backed into the playoffs against the Bears And that was with the hall of fame linebackers that you brought up. 8-8.

Hebert always has us in contention. Look what happened beyond the 1992 season where they went 12-4.

Sorry but I’ll take the king of W-L with no playoff wins versus king of 500 qbs with one playoff win with nothing else to show for it.

Brooks came in like a ball of fire and tore defenses apart with his legs and big arm. The next year, it seemed he was coached to never run and defenses bottled him up without the fear of him scrambling. He was special, for a moment in time.

You're gonna look at these stats and tell me with a straight face that he was the engine for the team's success and not the Dome Patrol? Really? https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HebeBo00.htm
Are you going to look at these stats and tell me with a straight face that Brooks was such a tremendous talent????? He couldn’t field one repeat one team from the beginning of the season to the post season. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrooAa00.htm

Take away Jeff Blake and Brooks never even sniffs the playoffs.

You keep bringing up the hall of fame defense yet Saints with the same defense are 8-8 in 1990 then went 8-8 in 1993. Really?

Last edited:
It's not that I dislike Aaron, he had some great games for us (including the first playoff win, a game that will never be forgotten), I was excited for him getting into the Saints HOF, and I honestly feel that a segment of the fan base was too hard on him.

But I don't put him in the same class as Manning. Manning was a franchise quarterback without a franchise. Brooks was a talented but ultimately inconsistent player who probably began fading after the 2003 season.

Who do you think Payton would take if the choice was Brooks or Manning? He didn't even want Brooks when he had him--

Jim Mora went 13-3 with Peyton Manning in Indi and lost in the first round. The next season he went 10-6 with Peyton, lost in the first round. I love Jim Mora but at some point you have to look at the coach and say there's a problem in the playoffs. You can't just look at the QB and say oh no he didn't win in the playoffs like Brooks did one time (and would have lost if Hakim doesn't drop the ball) so Brooks > Hebert. Consistency at QB counts for something.
Mora was too conservative, and became even more so in the playoffs. Would Mora call Ambush in the superbowl? Would he instruct his players to "put the pedal down?" His style gets you at, or slightly above, .500 not much more.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom