A little worried (Scum in the neighborhood) (1 Viewer)

bleedblk&gld

Choppin broccoli
Reaction score
So yesterday my friend calls me to tell me that his wife was robbed at gunpoint off of Elise and Morton St. around 8am while taking their baby out from the car. They are both fine btw. If you're not familiar it's the neighborhood behind Lafreiniere Park. I grew up there and currently live right down the street.

So I check the local reports to see if anything else pops up and this is what I get.

"6100 block of York Street - May 13, 12:17 p.m., rape.
6100 block of York Street - May 13, 6:41 p.m., residence burglary.
York Street and South Interstate 10 Service Road West - May 13, 10:20 a.m., suspicious person.
York Street and Transcontinental Drive - May 13, 8:59 a.m., suspicious person."

York and Morton are one block from each other and run parallel. The 6100 block is about 10 houses from Elise.

To say the least I'm a little worried as I have a few female family members including my wife and daughter who frequent in and out of my house and I'm not too far from where these were reported. On top of that my mom and younger sister live about a block from the rape and burglary.

I won't lie, I feel like going on a manhunt but I know it won't do any good. I'm just a little livid at the moment and really don't like this being in my neighborhood.

My friend's wife said it was two younger white males around 18 yrs of age. She said they both looked tweeked out and that the one with the gun was figgity. The other was kind of out of it she said.

I work 70 hr weeks and am rarely home. And as the title says, I'm just a little worried.

Have you considered/thought of a dog?

I know you said you have a child, but a dog like a boxer is very family oriented and protective.

Just a thought!

Or even a big 'beware of dog sign'. Seriously, it could be a deterrent. Maybe?

Dog is a good option. Always a fan.

Doesn't help all situations, but at home or when taking it somewhere with them if can. Doesn't even have to be a "tough" breed. I have black lab mutts that intimidate folks up to no good.

Add a few other self defense items and situational awareness and hopefully that's enough to not be the easiest target

Sucks.

I recommend formal training and/or get your conceal carry permit.
You don't need that to protect yourself in your home or car btw.

Just get trained.

A dog is a good idea. Alarm your home and put up signs that you're protected.

If you see anything suspicious then call the police. You don't want to be a vigilante. Let the police do their job.

Have you considered/thought of a dog?

I know you said you have a child, but a dog like a boxer is very family oriented and protective.

Just a thought!

Unfortunately my dog passed away before I had my little girl about 4 years ago. I don't know if I can raise a 4 year old and a puppy at the same time while working so much. But a dog has been discussed.

As for the gun suggestion. I have a .38 Special revolver that was my great grandpas but no bullets. It's more there for show and/or clubbing. Thing is heavy. I'm not anti gun just not trained to operate and really never thought I'd need one.

I guess my very rare occasion of walking down the street with my daughter will be with a little more "head on a swivel".

Make sure the outside of your house is well lit at night. Remove shrubs and stuff that a person could lurk behind waiting for you to pull up. Have a can or pepper spray handy. Teach your wife to keep her finger on the alarm button on the car remote when she gets out of the car. If something happens, just press the button and set the car alarm off.

Unfortunately my dog passed away before I had my little girl about 4 years ago. I don't know if I can raise a 4 year old and a puppy at the same time while working so much. But a dog has been discussed.

As for the gun suggestion. I have a .38 Special revolver that was my great grandpas but no bullets. It's more there for show and/or clubbing. Thing is heavy. I'm not anti gun just not trained to operate and really never thought I'd need one.

I guess my very rare occasion of walking down the street with my daughter will be with a little more "head on a swivel".

Skip the puppy and get an semi-trained one. I've done several rescues between 8months to a year that come house broken, crate trained, pretty easy to learn basic personality of with a short interaction and still young enough to pick up your training refinement quickly/easily. Could go a little older and they have that puppy energy slowing down too

Make sure the outside of your house is well lit at night. Remove shrubs and stuff that a person could lurk behind waiting for you to pull up. Have a can or pepper spray handy. Teach your wife to keep her finger on the alarm button on the car remote when she gets out of the car. If something happens, just press the button and set the car alarm off.

This and/or a little .22 springfield will do the trick.

Set up cameras and post a sign that says. " this area highly monitored by camera". Even a wildlife camera is better then nothing. Anything you can do to find these folks and get them off the streets. God Bless your loved ones. I know they have to be shaken up. You might consider getting her counseling. It's very traumatic having your life threatened.

Thank y'all for the advise.

I put up some beware of dogs signs. House is pretty well lit already. Thanks to social media a good bit of the neighborhood has been given the heads up. My neighbor is a retired vet who basically just works on his yard 24/7 said "ain't nobody messing with people on my block" ...lol he has a monster sized Rottweiler who is sweet as can be but def flips out whenever a stranger gets close to his, or my, house. And neighbor across the street is a avid hunter who loves his crossbow. He has two daughters in high school. So he's on extra high alert.

You just don't want to be looking over your shoulder every two seconds in your own neighborhood.

i live right by there on Elizabeth St and i honestly feel pretty safe...i hardly ever see anyone around who doesn't look familiar

i live right by there on Elizabeth St and i honestly feel pretty safe...i hardly ever see anyone around who doesn't look familiar

It's a very safe neighborhood. But I'm assuming some of the Park Manor riff raff has made its way back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom