A longer school day and year? (1 Viewer)

In Brazil kids go for 4 hours, either before or after lunch 8 to 12 or 1 to 5.

Aside from areasons already brought up, ll the good I imagine the cost to school systems will be huge, to implement full school years. In many districts, it would break the canal's back.

I know though, that this has been a topic of discussion back to the 80s.

Lets just through a lot of money at education and put a federal government agency in charge of everything.

problem solved.

No, no, no. No added school days, no longer hours. Kids are in school long enough. With the amount of homework, studying, and extra projects they have to do, they do not need more.
In my child's school, they already have Summer Reading AND Summer packets to complete. It's ridiculous, as the packets are very time consuming with alot of work, lots of writing.
They barely get to enjoy the Summer as it is with that hanging over our heads.
PLease, no extension to their workload.

Agree 100%. I NEVER remember spending this much time on homework when I was a kid...

Where ya been, Saintlady? I've missed seeing you around here! :)

Aside from areasons already brought up, ll the good I imagine the cost to school systems will be huge, to implement full school years. In many districts, it would break the canal's back.

I know though, that this has been a topic of discussion back to the 80s.

Especially in a district like mine, where grouchy geriatrics won't approve a levy for the kids. Then complain when there are teenagers out on a Friday night instead of at a football game, or rehearsing a play or whatever. :idunno:

If we want to "fix" our educational system, we need to deal with children at their developmental level. No more standardized tests, more playing, put music and art back into the curriculum.

It astounds me that people who know nothing about child development or education think they should make policy decisions about what's best for "our kids."

The whole point of education is to individualize it to each learner- so what we need is LESS standardization, not more.

Increasing the number of hours per day, days per year of school will do nothing to improve the quality of education children are getting.

I think we should exist in a school choice type of enviroment. I don't know how to do it properly, but assigning the budget dollars to each student instead of each school, and allowing parents to choose what school their kids attend would provide better motivation for schools to develop programs attractive to parents. Rather than determining what school is best due to test scores, giving teachers a choice of how they want to teach, and parents a choice in what type of school and teaching enviroment they prefer seems like it would benefit the entire system.

Lets just through a lot of money at education and put a federal government agency in charge of everything.

problem solved.

I'm trying to see where this post contributes anything to the discussion... and I'm coming up empty

I think this has been a really strong discussion thus far - lots of people from all sides of the aisle agreeing on basic educational tenets who otherwise disagree on a lot of things. As an educator, that's an encouraging thing to see - most people united against what's a terrible idea by Obama

sustained, articulate posts

only to have it all interrupted by this garbage post meant to do nothing to the discussion except to selfishly make some :freak7: comment about anti-big government and expenses

You know, I don't even know that I'd disagree with your opinion on reduction of federal influence on education or the point regarding controlling spending and more financial oversight to see a greater return on our educational investment

But when you say it like this - you manage to come across as a partisan hack in a thread amidst bi/multi-partisan agreement

quite the accomplishment :9:

I don’t know if a longer school year and longer days are the answer. My stepmother was a fourth grade teacher and for two years, they implemented a year round school schedule. The kids went to school for three months and then were off for a month, back for three months and so on. They found that the kids held the material taught to them much better than the current system we’re in. It was just enough for them to take in, process and use. Plus, they weren’t busting at the seams to get out of the classroom come June.

In addition, it was also noted that the teachers liked the schedule not only for the above reasons but it gave them a break in the routine as well. Unfortunately, the idea was scrapped because some parents complained that the year round schedule didn’t mesh with their after school care schedules (I get that), sports schedules (that can easily be remedied) and the personal vacations.

To the teachers out there, would you be open to a year round schedule?

Especially in a district like mine, where grouchy geriatrics won't approve a levy for the kids. Then complain when there are teenagers out on a Friday night instead of at a football game, or rehearsing a play or whatever. :idunno:

Let me guess, are you referring to the district south of Columbus? I thought that was a real shame, and its happening with far too much frequency.

I'm trying to see where this post contributes anything to the discussion... and I'm coming up empty

I think this has been a really strong discussion thus far - lots of people from all sides of the aisle agreeing on basic educational tenets who otherwise disagree on a lot of things. As an educator, that's an encouraging thing to see - most people united against what's a terrible idea by Obama

sustained, articulate posts

only to have it all interrupted by this garbage post meant to do nothing to the discussion except to selfishly make some :freak7: comment about anti-big government and expenses

You know, I don't even know that I'd disagree with your opinion on reduction of federal influence on education or the point regarding controlling spending and more financial oversight to see a greater return on our educational investment

But when you say it like this - you manage to come across as a partisan hack in a thread amidst bi/multi-partisan agreement

quite the accomplishment :9:

I concur :17:

Exactly. Half days, teacher days, extended school years and the like all stink. Labor Day to Memorial Day is the way I want it. No half days, no planning days. Teach the kids while they're there and quit expanding and manipulating the school year. It's gotten to where summer is only 7 weeks and that really stinks for vacations, summer jobs, etc.

Amen, man.

If schools want involved parents, why make it such a pain for us? These random half-days, short vacations, in-service days, etc make childcare scheduling a nightmare.

What's so wrong with having national holidays off, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break and then a nice, long summer for camps, vacations, etc? That's a lot easier to schedule, especially if a lot of the days your kids are home from school are holidays that you get off from work, as well.

I don't know how effective it would be in the real world but my gut tells me that, instead of a nine month on and three month off schedule, a year round schedule with several three to four week breaks would help with retention.

I don't know how effective it would be in the real world but my gut tells me that, instead of a nine month on and three month off schedule, a year round schedule with several three to four week breaks would help with retention.

I can tell you from those who did it, it works.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom