A look at Simoneau compared to all other NFL starting inside linebackers {merged} (1 Viewer)

can Melvin mitchell be our young thumper? what about Fincher? is out future MLB on out team?

i hope not to be truthful

Fincher was cut earlier this past season.

If the MLBs currently on our roster could not supplant Mark Simoneau at any point this past season, than they are not even NFL caliber... let alone starting caliber!

142 to 123 ..from 06 to 07...he said himself he had a bad year... i guess by Urlacher's standards..but you cant compare 06 bears D to 07 bears can you?...in 06 they lost harris and Tank for much timeso injuries to DTs are a non issue..his production went down a bit!!!!..just saying..stunk was a bit harsh but i hate the bears and am happy when they go down in any way at all

DT and MLB need to be addressed this offseason, I think we go into next season with a new MLB and new 3tech DT, but its more so the type of player we get that i'm concerned about, are we getting a guy from another team, who isnt known for doing much (ala Simoneau) or are we gonna bring in a guy who has a "knack" for "something" whether that be tackles for loss, or sacks, or int's...same goes for the DT position, are we bringing in a guy who had a career year of 50 tackles and 3sacks and were hoping he can reach his peak with us, or are we bringing in a DT with a "knack" for coming up with 50tkl 7sack seasons?

Simoneua was not a good MLB, plan and simple, this post is accurate, the MLB works off the DT, but our DT's are Thomas, Young and our MLB is Simoneau......thats nothing to brag about....Thomas does his job but, the rest.....leaves alot to be desired.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Poz somewhat prone to injury in college? It's the only thing that makes me hesitate on Erin Henderson at Maryland.

We do not need antoher player to perform well in 4-8 games per year just prior to going on IR e.g. Ernie Conwell, Cam Cleeland.

Agreed, but as evidenced by Meachem and Bush...any player can be injured. I just think Poz was a Franchise type of Player the Defense could have built around unlike a healthy Simoneau.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Poz somewhat prone to injury in college? It's the only thing that makes me hesitate on Erin Henderson at Maryland.

We do not need antoher player to perform well in 4-8 games per year just prior to going on IR e.g. Ernie Conwell, Cam Cleeland.

He got his knee injured in the bowl game of his Jr. season. He was back for his Sr. year and played all year with no trouble.

eh....we had the 13th best run defense and 30th best pass defense. I don't think the mlb was our blinding weakness. I think our cb play and our safety play is the primary reason we were not in the playoffs. sure simoneau can be upgraded...but that does nothing unless our secondary (and pass rush) improves drastically...

Really? How "obvious" was it?

The only obvious switch I noticed was when KK stepped in for Bullocks and he made plays on the ball, instead of trailing behind.

I think KK's weakness is footspeed, which may explain the coaching staff's reluctance to make him a full time starter...

But I don't understand this obsession on message boards to think that this coaching staff is so incompetent that they would consistently put someone on the field that they know will make them lose games.

Some examples of poor coaching staff decisions:
1) PT showed that he should've gotten more playing time, and it took injuries to get him on the field.
2) KK showed that he was a much more competent safety than Bullocks. He was seemingly everywhere, as a good safety should be.
3) Simmons did see to play better than Simoneau, but it wasn't as glaring.
4) Gramatica outkicked Mare, yet they didn't sign him when he came in for a tryout, despite Mare being injured for a few more weeks.
5) Goodwin played great against the Jaguars, which was possibly the best DL we faced all year, yet Faine went right back in.
6) Everybody outplayed Jason David. Despite Craft not being great, he was playing a little better. Same can be said for Usama Young. Cutting David Jones was probably a mistake, even though he hasn't done much during his rookie year for the Bengals.

Needs:
1) A good MLB
2) A good CB
3) Another good DT.
4) Start KK over Bullocks.
5) Use PT more.
6) Start Goodwin over Faine.
7) Get a decent backup QB.
8) Move Jason David to backup.
9) Have a real open competition for kicker.

Agreed, but as evidenced by Meachem and Bush...any player can be injured. I just think Poz was a Franchise type of Player the Defense could have built around unlike a healthy Simoneau.
Agreed. Pozlusny does have potential. Simoneau is a good backup.

eh....we had the 13th best run defense and 30th best pass defense. I don't think the mlb was our blinding weakness. I think our cb play and our safety play is the primary reason we were not in the playoffs. sure simoneau can be upgraded...but that does nothing unless our secondary (and pass rush) improves drastically...
Improved play at the linebacker/secondary positions will lead to improved ability to blitz, which in turn will lead to more sacks/turnovers. All that will lead to:ezbill:

He got his knee injured in the bowl game of his Jr. season. He was back for his Sr. year and played all year with no trouble.
Even dinged up, he'd still be an upgrade over Simoneau.

Some examples of poor coaching staff decisions:
1) PT showed that he should've gotten more playing time, and it took injuries to get him on the field.
2) KK showed that he was a much more competent safety than Bullocks. He was seemingly everywhere, as a good safety should be.
3) Simmons did see to play better than Simoneau, but it wasn't as glaring.
4) Gramatica outkicked Mare, yet they didn't sign him when he came in for a tryout, despite Mare being injured for a few more weeks.
5) Goodwin played great against the Jaguars, which was possibly the best DL we faced all year, yet Faine went right back in.
6) Everybody outplayed Jason David. Despite Craft not being great, he was playing a little better. Same can be said for Usama Young. Cutting David Jones was probably a mistake, even though he hasn't done much during his rookie year for the Bengals.

Needs:
1) A good MLB
2) A good CB
3) Another good DT.
4) Start KK over Bullocks.
5) Use PT more.
6) Start Goodwin over Faine.
7) Get a decent backup QB.
8) Move Jason David to backup.
9) Have a real open competition for kicker.

These are opinions, not "facts".

1) Yes, PT had a "lights out" game against Chicago... but Aaron Stecker had good games when he got a chance to be the full-time starter. Reggie Bush blew up against Seattle -a playoff team -but like the rest of the offense, the running game was plagued by inconsistency.

I've already been fooled by the "legend of John Fourcade" when he looked like the second coming of (insert your favorite quarterback here) for those last three games in 1989, only to see why he was an undrafted free agent when he was anointed the starter in 1990.

2) KK did show he was a better player than Bullocks, but it appears he lacked footspeed to be the full time starter at free safety. He saw plenty of time in nickel and dime packages.

3) Simmons saw playing time at all three linebacker positions, but couldn't beat out anyone.

4) Grammatica did play better than Mare, but Mare was injured with a torn groin muscle when he had his worst game against Carolina. After he was fully healthy, he did kick better, but the Saints were trying fewer FGs. Mare did get consistent touchbacks, however.

5) Goodwin vs. Faine is a silly fan-based criticism. Goodwin had a good game against the Jags because of the spread offense the Saints were running. Even, Jack Del Rio stated that Payton out-coached him. Goodwin is not a long term starter, and you are fooling yourself if you think he is.

6) Jason Craft was not a better cornerback than Jason David. Craft got burned on a simple fly pattern by Devin Hester (although Bullocks didn't do anything to help). Usama Young had a terrible game against the Eagles, when he came in to replace Mike McKenzie. Quite honestly, swapping David out for any of the other corners on our roster would have been the same as swapping jerseys... the play would have been the same.

David Jones was cut because the coaching staff felt it would have been better to keep the vet Fred Thomas in case of injuries and leave Jones on the practice squad. The Bengals picked him up, but he is far from the solution.

I agree with most of your needs, except for Goodwin over Faine.

I was hoping the Jets were going to cut Chad Pennington loose, because he would have been a nice upgrade over Jamie Martin.

I also would like to see an upgrade at safety over both KK and Bullocks

I thought that either Poz or Greg Olsen would have been a better choice than Meachem at that point of the draft. But I understood the reasoning...drafting a replacement for Joe Horn... but a redshirt rookie year was far from my mind.

I really liked Jacoby Jones and the VT receiver who ended up on the Packers practice squad later on in the draft.

You're comparing apples and oranges. In our scheme, the defensive line slows them down so our linebackers can redirect them so our secondary can make the tackle. This also explains our perceived flaw in coverage.

I hope you are joking by calling it our scheme, but the truth is that is how it mostly works... I don't think it's intentional, but it's how it happens.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom