A look at Simoneau compared to all other NFL starting inside linebackers {merged} (1 Viewer)

Simoneau was a backup at Philly for a good reason when we traded for him. Keep in mind that the trade was done during Payton's first draft at a time when it was obvious that we could use almost ANY help at LB. The problem is that during last year's offseason we did not find an adequate replacement for Simoneau. Simmons, who was already at the end of his career when we picked him up, apparently did not pan out, as he couldn't get on the field. We need someone with some youth left who can play the position aggressively and generate turnovers, which leaves Z Thomas out of the equation. I'm hoping we can get Briggs. We simply must get at least two new bonafide starters on D in free agency (at LB, CB, DT, and perhaps S), b/c there's no way we're going to be able to generate all the players we need to retool the D in this year's draft, even if we go D in every round.

Mlb Play

Middle linebacker play is a direct result of the inside tackle play. The lack of tackles that Simoneau gets are a direct link to how our DT's play. The play of the DT's on the Ravens for example, led to Ray Lewis having a down year. Everyone raves how good he is but if DT'S don't draw double teams then the big lineman have a easy block on your MLB. Yes Simoneau is not very fast, strong or in part not that great. Our play at DT needs to be a whole lot better. I hope the Saints coaches see's this and addresses the defensive tackle position and a young instinctive MLB this off season..

The fact that he wasn't replaced says a lot about the coaching staff. Simmons obviously played better than him when he got in the game.

The fact that he wasn't replaced says a lot about the coaching staff. Simmons obviously played better than him when he got in the game.

Really? How "obvious" was it?

The only obvious switch I noticed was when KK stepped in for Bullocks and he made plays on the ball, instead of trailing behind.

I think KK's weakness is footspeed, which may explain the coaching staff's reluctance to make him a full time starter...

But I don't understand this obsession on message boards to think that this coaching staff is so incompetent that they would consistently put someone on the field that they know will make them lose games.

>>Originally Posted by whiteshadowen
>>You're comparing apples and oranges. In our scheme, the defensive line slows them down so our linebackers can redirect them so our secondary can make the tackle. This also explains our perceived flaw in coverage.

Maybe, but it seems like in our scheme, the defensive line slows them down so our linebackers can get pancaked so our secondary can redirect them into the endzone.

I agree with this entirely (hence my endorsement of Ellis as our pick, I'm sure Payton will be pleased...)

but I still think Simoneau is a substandard talent...good line play may hide his weakness (if we get good line play), but he's not going to dominate regardless of the line

Worth investing in the Mike spot...D's QB in many ways...

You have to wonder if drafting Poz (yeah, I thought the kid was the real deal) instead of Meachem would have made a bigger difference for this team (not only for one season but for the long term).

From Wiki:
On September 23, 2007 against the New England Patriots in week 3, Posluszny suffered a broken left forearm. He was put on injured reserve, ending his inaugural season. At the time of his injury, he was third in the league with 26 tackles, leading all rookies.

While i do want Ellis in the first i do not think that it would matter with Sim. he is just not a thumper.

All parts of a defense are connected and have a knock-on effect. Obviously a MLB is going to make more plays behind excellent DTs. But can you honestly see Simoneau being a playmaker behind Pat and Kevin Williams? or behind a fully fit John Henderson and Marcus Stroud? I can't. Also, Urlacher had a great year with his DTs decimated. It's not as simple as an MLB's performance is a direct correlation to who they have in front of them

In three starts, Simmons had 16 tackles (8 solo) over 16 games. Over 16 games, that would be 85.3 tackles, but he didn't play MLB. In the game that he started at SLB, he had only 3 tackles, but he had 13 in the two games that he replaced Shanle at WLB. That would average out to 104 tackles at WLB. For reference, Shanle finished with 68 tackles over 14 starts (77.7 projected over 16 games). That seems to give a lot of support to the idea that he should have replaced Shanle permanently. Who knows what he would have done at MLB, but I suspect that he couldn't have been any less productive than Simoneau.

You have to wonder if drafting Poz (yeah, I thought the kid was the real deal) instead of Meachem would have made a bigger difference for this team (not only for one season but for the long term).

From Wiki:
On September 23, 2007 against the New England Patriots in week 3, Posluszny suffered a broken left forearm. He was put on injured reserve, ending his inaugural season. At the time of his injury, he was third in the league with 26 tackles, leading all rookies.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Poz somewhat prone to injury in college? It's the only thing that makes me hesitate on Erin Henderson at Maryland.

We do not need antoher player to perform well in 4-8 games per year just prior to going on IR e.g. Ernie Conwell, Cam Cleeland.

can Melvin mitchell be our young thumper? what about Fincher? is out future MLB on out team?

i hope not to be truthful

first 14 games - 107 tackles, 5 sacks, 3 interceptions

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2140

You have very high expectations my friend

I was about to post the same thing...........so, if that stinks then what is Simoneaux?

Well, our run defense was pretty good this season minus a couple of games with poor LB'er play......so who do you credit with that? I actually like our DT's with Hollis being the bigger, hold the point of attack DT and Young being the non-stop motor penetrating style. Just age is getting the better of Hollis and Young seems to get dinged to much.

I think the #1 priority for this team is to draft a stud MLB.......I think first and foremost you need a leader in the middle......a captain for the defense to be around for many years. But, I've been waiting for that for a while and many have gone by........

Vilma, Barnett, E.J. Henderson, Willis, D.J. Williams, Morrison, etc.....maybe this is our year.

Laurinaitis please. :mwink:

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom