A Look at the Game through the Other Side (1 Viewer)

Reaction score

A fairly balanced take on what happened Sunday. I'd like to call attention to the last takeaway, "Jerick McKinnon's rough day."
Dennis Allen takes a lot of criticism from Saints fans but he deserves a lot of praise for building a defense that has dominated against the run this season. The breakdowns in the defensive backfield are what they are and are certainly frustrating, but the play against the run is encouraging. The 49ers are exactly the type of team that has given the Saints trouble in the past--tough, physical, ground-oriented--but the defense as it stands today is more than able to be as physical as the opposing offense. This has not always been the case and is great to see.

the KS game plan was to minimize our front 4 by having Mullens get rid of ball under 2 seconds. They threw every ball underneath coverage in the first half yesterday. It was clear they were content with 5-7 yard passes vs zone and their run game.
Jumping out to a 10 pt lead just exacerbated that play.

We adjusted after half, and you saw what Mullens did. ( well, didnt do lol )

Hats off to KS for developing a plan.

Bigger hats off to DA for adjusting to that plan and making SF life miserable for 45 min after the adjustments

In a lot of ways SF outplayed us.

But giving us two bungled punts and an easy 14 points was too costly. And add on a kick return coverage mistake allowing us to get into FG range. That's 17 of our 27 points.

And on a day where we were clearly struggling offensively, the game was decided on that ill fated 4th and 1 attempt near midfield. With the score tied at 10, you just punt and pin us back at the 2 minute warning. Go into halftime likely with a tie ball game.

Also not being able to go up 14-0 with a first and goal at the 4 was the other big momentum shift.

If I'm a 49ers fan, I'm agonizing over what should have been.

Ill tell you what really blew my mind - after the VERY FIRST PLAY from SF - Ceedy TFL....they NEVER EVER accounted for him off the slot until the final drive in the 4th.

I know as a Saints fan, if we kept running plays leaving a DB free off corner time after time, we woulda been calling for SPs head.

Ill tell you what really blew my mind - after the VERY FIRST PLAY from SF - Ceedy TFL....they NEVER EVER accounted for him off the slot until the final drive in the 4th.

I know as a Saints fan, if we kept running plays leaving a DB free off corner time after time, we woulda been calling for SPs head.

On Rev. Deuce's podcast after the game, they were discussing CJGJ's big day and one of the three offered that it was the play of Kwon Alexander which allowed him to be used that way. I don't know if that's the case, but if it is, that's quite the shrewd move by the Front Office.

Last edited:
On Rev. Deuce's podcast after the game, they were discussing CJGJ's big day and one fo the three offered that it was the play of Kwon Alexander which allowed him to be used that way. I don't know if that's the case, but if it is., that's quite the shrewd move by the Front Office.
I'm excited about Kwon, I just think it totally changes what we can do on defense, especially with our safeties. You have an LB who can run and cover like that, you get to really get creative on defense.

On Rev. Deuce's podcast after the game, they were discussing CJGJ's big day and one fo the three offered that it was the play of Kwon Alexander which allowed him to be used that way. I don't know if that's the case, but if it is., that's quite the shrewd move by the Front Office.

So basically putting Kwon on any TE/WR that Ceedy would cover, freed him up?

Interesting because i think 2 games ago, we did same with MJ. Ceedy would pick up his responsiblity. Turned out not so well.

Difference? Ceedy is 13 years younger and much faster to QB and Kwon is good in coverage consistently.

Amazing what ONE acquisition will do for a scheme.

I hate to give the 49ers credit for anything but I have to give them credit for an excellent gameplan. Yesterday reminded me how frustrating it can be going up against a ball control team. If it was that frustrating for me I can't imagine how it was for the players.

All we had to do was make it a two possession game. Get a lead and they can't stand around milking the clock. Make them pay for all that time they wasted controlling the ball but not scoring a lot of points.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom