A look at the top 10...and the potential trading that could take place (1 Viewer)

It was a misprint (I forgot to put the first rounder even though I included it in the actual draft). If you look at the draft, I have the Chiefs picking at #10, which means that they would be receiving the Saints' first rounder, Stinchcomb and a fourth rounder. I do not see how anyone can say that this is not enough.

Trading up from #9 to #1 is naturally going to require more. If you really examine that Bengals/Dolphins trade I proposed, the Bengals are giving up a first, a second, a third (since many believe that is the value that Stinchcomb would draw up in a trade) and a fourth. And they are receiving the #1 overall and a third in return. That's not the Bengals giving up way much while the Saints are not giving up little. First, they are trying to ascertain different picks that are four picks apart from each otehr. The value won't be nearly the same. Secondly, the Saints are giving up a starting RT and a fourth rounder plus their first and are receiving only one pick in return. It's no different than the Saints trading their first, a second and a fourth. While Stinchcomb would not draw a second rounder in a straight up trade, the fact that the Chiefs are getting a starting RT and two other picks by moving down only 5 spots and only surrendering one pick is not as unrealistic as some try to paint it.

Finally, I have said that this is not my actual mock, but conjecture meant to give us a way of looking at the top 10 picks and some of the things we might see in some manner or degree on draft day.

What you have the Saints giving up is plenty, but to be honest I'm not sure if I like it or not.:dunno: The Saints DL wasn't the problem at any point last year and I'm not sure giving up a starting RT and a pick is the right thing t do when we aren't improving either of our two biggest weaknesses, CB or LBer. I think we are in perfect position to stay put or move back and improve our team far more than moving up and doing so.

Nice work on the mock though.....especially like the twist with Gholston.

What you have the Saints giving up is plenty, but to be honest I'm not sure if I like it or not.:dunno: The Saints DL wasn't the problem at any point last year and I'm not sure giving up a starting RT and a pick is the right thing t do when we aren't improving either of our two biggest weaknesses, CB or LBer. I think we are in perfect position to stay put or move back and improve our team far more than moving up and doing so.

I'll disagree with the Saints DL not being a problem. It was a huge problem. Last year we rarely got pressure with just our front 4. Even more specific, we got very little push from our interior DL. Often times Grant or Smith got a decent push to the outside and the opposing QB simply stepped up into a beautiful pocket and completed the pass. Now some of that could have been the injury to B.Young and the fact that H.Thomas didn't appear to hit his stride until late in the season. But, IMO, this team is in desperate need of a DT that can get quick penetration into the backfield.
I do agree that LB and CB are a concern. But, I wouldn't say either are bigger than a DT. Especially a special type DT like Dorsey or Ellis.

I'll disagree with the Saints DL not being a problem. It was a huge problem. Last year we rarely got pressure with just our front 4. Even more specific, we got very little push from our interior DL. Often times Grant or Smith got a decent push to the outside and the opposing QB simply stepped up into a beautiful pocket and completed the pass. Now some of that could have been the injury to B.Young and the fact that H.Thomas didn't appear to hit his stride until late in the season. But, IMO, this team is in desperate need of a DT that can get quick penetration into the backfield.
I do agree that LB and CB are a concern. But, I wouldn't say either are bigger than a DT. Especially a special type DT like Dorsey or Ellis.

I'll pose the question this way.....would you rather:

-Stinchcomb, Bushrod and best available LB or CB

or

-Ellis minus our 4th round pick and a hole at RT

Not sure why this speculation is even happening. We didn't even see Bushrod in a game last year. Was he active/play in any games? When Brown went down, Strief came in, not Bushrod. I seriously doubt that we would put a 'rookie' in at LT that could not even perform over a 7th rounder and add depth.
I am not saying, I am just saying......

or

First, I'd take Ellis with Strief or Bushrod at RT. Not impressed with Stinchcomb. He's alright but interchangeable, IMO.
I feel that Ellis could make more of an impact than any LB or CB that we would get at #10.
Plus, I think we could address either LB or CB in the 2nd round (possibly getting a guy like J.Mayo in the 2nd).
Also, we could upgrade our LB or CB position in FA.

It just depends on how the coaches see it. I just think it starts up front and if you have the chance to get a difference maker at DT, then you'll see an improvement with your CB's.

Ideally for me, I'd love to see us get Briggs and maybe a D.Florence type in FA. Then have exactly what Chris spelled out and we get Ellis at DT. Then in the 2nd, get a guy like Rucker(Mizzou, although I'm not sure where he's expected to be picked).

or

It is too early to say. We haven't got into free agency and time will tell, not only what our needs are, but most important, which player would be available at either 5 or 10.

I feel this draft is deep in linebackers, not as much in corners or defensive tackles.

Since I don't think that both Ellis and Dorsey will be gone for us to pick, I think linebacker may be the best bet in the first two rounds. I am not convinced that there will value to pick a corner with the 10th pick, and I think there will be a run at cornerbacks in the second half of the first round of the draft.

Finally, after reviewing tape I think there is a strong chance of Stinchcomb to lose his starting position next year. They guy was bulled-rushed many times and I think we need a stronger tackle to play next to Evans.

Finally, after reviewing tape I think there is a strong chance of Stinchcomb to lose his starting position next year. They guy was bulled-rushed many times and I think we need a stronger tackle to play next to Evans.

If Stinch isn't good then why would the Chiefs deal for him in a trade? :dunno:

I would put Stinchcomb as our 3rd best OL behind Brown and Evans. IMO, Nesbit and Faine were worse. That's not to say that one of the newcomers won't take Stinch's spot next year.

I disagree the Saints DL was a major problem last year.

-They only played well against the run because no one bothered to run against us.

-They never got any pressure on the QB specifically from the DT spot.

If Stinch isn't good then why would the Chiefs deal for him in a trade? :dunno:

I would put Stinchcomb as our 3rd best OL behind Brown and Evans. IMO, Nesbit and Faine were worse. That's not to say that one of the newcomers won't take Stinch's spot next year.

It is time for Strief to get his shot at RT.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom