A look at the top 10...and the potential trading that could take place (1 Viewer)

If this scenario plays out, I would rather stay at 10, draft dorsey, and keep my picks and starting right tackle.

If this scenario played out this way up until pick 5, there would still be no way for the Saints to gaurantee that Dorsey would be there at #10. Thus, making a move would make sense for the Saints even if the move proves to be a show of impatience in hindsight for the team.

CitySaint, you are probably right in your suggestion that the offer to the Chiefs on the part of the Saints might not be enough.

crogers, it's hard for me to see that many trades happening as well. Again, it's just conjecture for the mere purpose of discussing what we might at draft time and also what players each team might be leaning toward taking. I try to prevent different scenarios to show the different things that could happen. Now, this is not the same as Mel Kiper, Jr. having 50 drafts with different top ten results. The players in my scenario usually remain the same but I try to show how a player might slide or go higher than expected based upon one or two moves or surprise picks.

longtime lurker, you're right. Lofton is a beast and a guy who plays snap-to-whistle. He's a tremendous prospect and a guy to consider should we trade down to the late first or in the early second.

Scott B, it may not be crack but concern over his injuries that could cause him to fall. Nothing is etched in stone either way.

I am beginning to think that the only trading that the Saints will do might be to get back into the late 1st.

A team like the Chargers who only have a 1, 5, 6, 7 round picks might want to move down and if the Saints go

1[10] LB Keith Rivers

It might be worth while trading up and drafting a guy like

1[27] CB Dominique Cromartie or CB/S Reggie Smith

Dorsey would have to have injuries questions around him still, somewhat, for him to fall all the way to 10 IMHO.

Alot of people are forgetting (especially since the Senior Bowl) just how freakin' AWESOME a 100% Glenn Dorsey is. The guy is a T-total BEAST... Yes, even better than Ellis.

Scott B, it may not be crack but concern over his injuries that could cause him to fall. Nothing is etched in stone either way.

certainly anything is possible. Ted Ginn wasn't supposed to be top 10 last year and he was. Brady Quinn was supposed to be top 10 and wasn't. Had Dorsey's injury occurred in the Nat. Championship game, I could buy into that scenario more, however, unless information comes out that there is some compromise with his stability in his leg, there are no other chinks in his armor, he is as much of a lock to go top 5 as Calvin Johnson was last year.

No way we will see three trades in the top five picks of the draft. I also have to agree with the fact that Dorsey will not fall that far unless he dies.

I totally agree with regard to the trade. Again, as I said, this is not as much a mock. My mock will include all 31 teams. This is more about exploring the different scenarios that could occur come draft day and how it might move players up and down the draft board.

I won't agree that the only way that Dorsey falls is if he dies. We all like Dorsey, he's a tremendous prospect. But listen, each year there are players that fall. Even without the trades, Dorsey could fall further than expected. For instance, Miami could take Chris Long or Vernon Gholston who each fit better in the 3-4 defense they run. At #2, Rams could take Jake Long. The Raiders could opt for McFadden or the closer-to-home prospect in Ellis. The Falcons could take Matt Ryan. At #5, the Chiefs could go with Clady if they want to fill their needs on the o-line or Ellis if he is still on the board. The Jets could go with McFadden if he is still on the board or whoever falls out of Chris Long and Vernon Gholston. At this point, Dorsey would be available to the Pats and Ravens, two teams that run a 3-4 and are not likely to take him. They could trade down or they could just go with the players that do fit their scheme. So that would mean that Dorsey could fall anyway from 7 to 9 or 10. It can happen with or without the trades and with or without him dying or doing crack. Now the likelihood is that some team will either take him high or allow another team to trade up and grab him. But it's not a stretch of the imagination to believe that Dorsey could fall.

Dorsey would have to have injuries questions around him still, somewhat, for him to fall all the way to 10 IMHO.

Alot of people are forgetting (especially since the Senior Bowl) just how freakin' AWESOME a 100% Glenn Dorsey is. The guy is a T-total BEAST... Yes, even better than Ellis.

I think it's a bit amusing as well that Ellis is ahead of Dorsey. I would be willing to bet that Dorsey will be ahead of Ellis on 90% of the NFL team's draft boards. I'm not saying Ellis didn't help his stock last week, but Dorsey would have been a first rounder last year, when no one on this board had even heard of Ellis.

I think it's a bit amusing as well that Ellis is ahead of Dorsey. I would be willing to bet that Dorsey will be ahead of Ellis on 90% of the NFL team's draft boards. I'm not saying Ellis didn't help his stock last week, but Dorsey would have been a first rounder last year, when no one on this board had even heard of Ellis.

I agree. Dorsey's probably the best DT prospect since Warren Sapp and I think, in the end, Ellis' size will scare some teams away from him. Dorsey has it all.

I realize i'm in the minority on this but I really think Ellis would be best served as a future 2-gap DT.

I agree. Dorsey's probably the best DT prospect since Warren Sapp and I think, in the end, Ellis' size will scare some teams away from him. Dorsey has it all.

I realize i'm in the minority on this but I really think Ellis would be best served as a future 2-gap DT.

I don't think you're in the minority totally on the opinion of Ellis being a future 2-gap DT. He has a build that is somewhat similar to Hollis Thomas, although he is not nearly as heavy as Thomas is. So I could definitely see Ellis as a 2-gap DT.

I also think that Dorsey is an awesome prospect and could be the best 3-tech DT to come out since Sapp, sans maybe Tommie Harris although I think Dorsey's a better prospect. But I do not think that Ellis can be just dismissed as a prospect in terms of being on equal footing as Dorsey. Dorsey plays seems to possess more power and play with better leverage at the initial point of attack. But Ellis has a quicker first step and uses his hands better. They both have things they are very good at and things that they can improve on. In the end, it will really come down to who each team prefers. Of course, that's pretty obvious. I think there will be lingering questions about Dorsey's health although we must remember that Ellis has been injured before as well. Injuries are a part of the game. Again, it will just come down to who teams feel more comfortable drafting. Either way, you really can't go wrong.

I don't think it matters whether or not people on this board knew about Ellis. Scouts knew about him even before the week of the senior bowl. I think Dorsey has been the #1 prospect for so long in scout's minds that the idea that there may be another guy nearly as good or equal to him was never given any deference. Then, with the talent at USC, that can hurt a prospect in that you begin to believe that part of a player's success may be the team around him and not just that player. I think the senior bowl proved to people that Ellis could be a dominant force. Also, I think that Dorsey defends against the run and pass very well and probably better than any DT that you can remember in recent years. But I think Ellis is more adept at rushing the QB from the DT spot than Dorsey is and is almost as good in terms of being a force against the run. So, again, Dorsey's a superior talent and prospect and a great fit as a 3-tech. But Ellis is a very solid prospect and not so far off in talent from Dorsey that it would be ludicrous to compare the two or even suggest, as some analysts/scouts have, that Ellis is ahead of Dorsey.

***Saints trade Jon Stinchcomb, OT, and their 4th round draft choice to the Chiefs in exchange for the 5th pick overall from the Chiefs.***

The Chiefts #5 pick is valued at 1700 points. The Saints 4th round pick is valued at 84 points. I do not think Stinchcomb carries a difference of 1616 points. No way the Chiefts make this trade.

The Saints can only wish!

Last edited:
***Saints trade Jon Stinchcomb, OT, and their 4th round draft choice to the Chiefs in exchange for the 5th pick overall from the Chiefs.***

The Chiefts #5 pick is valued at 1700 points. The Saints 4th round pick is valued at 84 points. I do not think Stinchcomb carries a difference of 1616 points. No way the Chiefts make this trade.

The Saints can only wish!

I agree with you in principal, but teams do not always trade according to the trade value chart. There are trades where teams give up way more than what the trade chart says and sometimes when teams give up way less. Teams control trades, not the trade value chart. Otherwise, teams would never have to negotiate a trade from the standpoint of exchanging value.

Of course their is also the 1300 points for our number 10 pick to figure in.

The Chiefs aren't going to give a #5 for Stinchcomb.

I dont' like this trade deal either, I'd sooner keep Stinch, and take Dorsey with my own #5....however the Saints are throwing in Stinch AND their #10 pick in this prospective trade...as well as their 4th rounder. It could make sense.

That being said, again I'm not a fan of it personally.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom