A look at this weeks matchup with the 49ers... (1 Viewer)

Frank The Rat

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This week we get to play the team we all used to love to hate, almost as much as the Falcons, if not the same. Personally I still think we owe them for years of tormant during the Montana/Young years. I took a closer look at the matchup.

Saints Offense(1st in Total Offense) vs. 49ers Defense(20th in Total Defense)

the key to this game again like many this season is the Saints offense and its ability to hold onto the ball. No turnovers should equal a win for the Saints. The 49ers have the 20th ranked defense in the league. They are ranked 25th in the league in pass defense allowing 221.5 yards per game, 19 touchdowns allowed and 10 interceptions. They are ranked 17th in the league in rush defense allowing 116 yards per game and 12 rushing touchdowns. If the Saints offense plays like they played against the Falcons and doesnot turn the ball over this is very good match up for them. With the expected return of Colston based on the fact Payton said that he could have played against the falcons, but wanted to give him an extra week the Saints offense will be at full strength. The leading candidate for offensive ROY should be able to match up well as both starting corners. Even if they choose to double Colston Horn and Devery will have one on one coverage and can do some damage. Lets also not forget about the Reggie factor and both him and deuce running the ball. We need to get the running game going as well. Time of possesion is key.

Saints Defense(17th ranked in total Defense) vs. 49ers Offense(23rd ranked in Total offense)

The Saints defense has played well in the majority of their wins this season. In 4 of those wins they allowed 14 points or less. The job for the saints defense is to stop Frank Gore and force the 49ers to pass the ball. The 49ers offense is ranked 4th in the league rushing the ball averaging 136.6 yards per game and 8 rushing touchdowns. Passing the ball the 49ers are ranked 27th in the league averaging only 167.5 yards per game with 11 touchdowns and 9 interceptions. If we can stop Frank Gore, or at least eliminate the big plays and force the 49ers to pass the ball we may finally be able to force some turnovers via interception. The other thing that would help the Saints is if their offense can get another big league like they did against the Falcons. This would force the 49ers to start passing more and could lead to more opportunities for turnovers. We must be able to get pressure on alex smith and force him into some bad decisions. The Saints defense is ranked 6th in the league in pass defense only allowing 183.5 yards per game, but they have allowed 20 passing touchdowns which is 2nd most in the league. The saints defense is ranked 29th againts the run allowing an average of 140 yards per game and has giving up 8 rushing touchdowns. Force the 49ers in to 2nd and long, 3rd and long and keep them to field goals will be the goal at hand.

Bottom line we have to play smart football. If we do that, with what our offense is capable of we can win this game. My prediction is Saints 34, 49ers 17.

Go Saints!!!

Good write up and I agree totally (although we might score more than 34 pts). This is one of the better match ups for us. I think we try and force A Smith to beat us through the air. He does not have what it takes. I just hope our defense start making turnovers of their own.

Look for Bush to have a field day. He will be pumped up for this one.

Time to show we deserve the "play off team" label

Great analysis, Frank.

You can bet Coach Nolan is telling his players the way to beat us is to keep our offense off the field. In order for the Niners to do that, expect a very heavy dose of Frank Gore.

To counter that, expect a few 8 men in the box fronts from the Saints early on to force Alex Smith to beat us with his arm, which he shouldn't be able to do...

We don't need turnovers to beat SF (although a couple would be nice.)

What we need is to play error free ball on O, and to have our D produce 3 and outs... In order to do the latter, we must stop Gore... If we can't, this game will be a lot closer than it should be.

Last edited:
We MUST stop Gore. Simple as that. Make Alex throw the ball. I just wish we had better hands at the DB position. If that were the case, I'd say we'd have a field day.

Nice analysis. I totally agree that the key to winning this one is stopping Gore. We can do that in two ways: defense, of course, and by keeping our own offense on the field. Once Gore is held in check, the rest should fall into place, barring a lot of silly turnovers.

I just hope the team isn't taking this game too lightly....but I have faith that Payton and his staff won't let that happen.

Very good analysis, Frank the Rat. Having paid almost no attention to SF this year and being surprised at how well they are doing, let's hope the Saints can keep the Niners flying under the radar.

Was anyone else surprised to see that the Saints have the #1 offense? Most of that is due to Brees and the receivers, but if teams decide to focus on the passing attack, they can run the ball just fine with McAllister and Bush.

I just hope the team isn't taking this game too lightly....but I have faith that Payton and his staff won't let that happen.

They won't take this game lightly, primadox. You can take that to the bank.

One Saints player, to his teammates, in the locker room, after Sunday's win:

"Stay focussed... Stay focussed. Everybody knows what the goal is."

Unfortunately, given the way the turnovers have gone this year, it may remain "just a thought." Maybe the law of averages will come into play. ;)

Good point, heh.

Roethlisberger was very interception prone:

17/28 264 yards 3 TD 0 INT

:freak7:

Good point, heh.

Roethlisberger was very interception prone:

17/28 264 yards 3 TD 0 INT

:freak7:

But how many of those touchdowns came after we turned the ball over. You have to limit the other teams opportunity on offense. Don't give them extra chances.

I for one would love to see more stripping the ball.

I go back and forth on this one. We have had some very poor tackling skills on this D for quite awile and it's very refreshing to see good open field tackling and gang tackling that we haven't seen in some time. After a very nice tackle, I am happy that the tackle was made, then I say, "Dang, maybe we could have forced a fumble too".

I guess I should just be happy that we are TACKLING. The forced fumbles will come in due time. Gotta learn to walk before you can run.

We MUST stop Gore. Simple as that. Make Alex throw the ball. I just wish we had better hands at the DB position. If that were the case, I'd say we'd have a field day.

There's the key stop Gore. I bet Gibbs loads the box up along with a healthy dose of Danny Clark.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom