A momumental foreign policy victory for Obama? (2 Viewers)

Does the Russian decision to not deploy it's Iskander in response to the US decision to scrap it's missile defense deployment to Poland represent a major victory for the Obama administration? It certainly appears to be.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090919/ap_on_re_eu/eu_russia_missile_defense
I'm not sure how this is spun as a "victory".

Russia's decision in the first place to deploy the system within range of Poland was a response to the Bush administration's move to put US missile defense facilities in Poland in the first place.

Without the first aggressive move from Bush, likely no deployment by Russia.

So its all the usual crock of dung...

Last edited:
Agree with Blackadder (and the Russian defense minister, I guess).

It's not really a foreign policy "victory" since they are just withdrawing their plans they made in response to plans we made that we are now withdrawing.

I do have to agree with the Russkie that it is "victory of reason over ambitions", though.

I think it is what it is. Just a presidential decision

If it results in Russia taking a more hard line approach toward Iran's nuclear arsenal ambitions, would it then be considered a major victory?

I'm not sure how this is spun as a "victory".

Russia's decision in the first place to deploy the system within range of Poland was a response to the Bush administration's move to put US missile defense facilities in Poland in the first place.

Without the first aggressive move from Bush, likely no deployment by Russia.

So its all the usual crock of dung...

Exactly..

I'm sure the Russians would rather not spend the money the deployment..

If it results in Russia taking a more hard line approach toward Iran's nuclear arsenal ambitions, would it then be considered a major victory?

Yes, assuming the Poles sense of abandonment was eliminated by Russia's first move.

This may actually turn out to be a huge foreign policy win for Obama.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090924/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_us_iran

Right now it's just talk but if Russia really joins everyone else in sanctioning and putting pressure on Iran even Obama's harshest partisan critics will have a tough time painting the entire scenario as anything less than a foreign policy jackpot.

Of all my criticisms of Obama I'm harshest on his often idealistic view of foreign relations. I will be happy to take my crow with a a side of greens if Russian actually agrees to sanctions on Iran. Everyone knows Russia holds the Iranian leash.

This may actually turn out to be a huge foreign policy win for Obama.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090924/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_us_iran

Right now it's just talk but if Russia really joins everyone else in sanctioning and putting pressure on Iran even Obama's harshest partisan critics will have a tough time painting the entire scenario as anything less than a foreign policy jackpot.

Of all my criticisms of Obama I'm harshest on his often idealistic view of foreign relations. I will be happy to take my crow with a a side of greens if Russian actually agrees to sanctions on Iran. Everyone knows Russia holds the Iranian leash.
The bargaining is not done. Just beginning.

This will also be tied up with NATO/US activities in Georgia.

As for the Iran sanctions, the main problem is that sanctions are desired to punish Iran for exercising its NPT rights? The ultimate path the "stability" will be the point where there is no nuclear standard, which will involve getting all countries signed to the NPT and under IAEA surveillance.

As long as some are allowed to have a free ride on their nuclear programs, other countries will be galled.

Looks like Russia is coming around to our position on Iran:

Russia said on Friday that Iran's construction of a second uranium enrichment plant violated U.N. Security Council decisions and, in a sign of impatience, called on Tehran to quickly prove its nuclear program was purely peaceful.

The U.N. nuclear watchdog said on Friday that Iran had just told it about the plant. U.S. President Barack Obama and other Western leaders accused Iran of building a secret nuclear facility and urged Tehran to comply with international rules.

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said the plant was "a source of serious concern" and violated several demands by the Security Council for Iran to halt all enrichment activities.

The International Atomic Energy Authority, the U.N. watchdog, should launch an immediate investigation, he said in a statement.

Western countries fear Iran is working to make nuclear weapons, while Tehran insists its program is designed solely to generate electricity.

Iran is due to meet six world powers on October 1 to discuss the international community's increasing concerns about the uranium plants and Tehran's intentions.

"This meeting gives Iran a chance to demonstrate that it is also committed to talks to solve this issue," said Medvedev.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE58O45720090925

The bargaining is not done. Just beginning.

This will also be tied up with NATO/US activities in Georgia.

And quite frankly, I don't trust Putin that much. Look what our so called "friends"(including Russia) did to us with the embargo on Iraq. Cheat, cheat, cheat.

I'm beginning to think that with some countries, embargoes are a routine. Makes them look tough, and it creates a black market for embargoed goods that they are more than happy to dive into and make the big bucks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom