A new an improved Reggie? (1 Viewer)

Guitarzan

Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think most players are always trying to improve. I also feel that sometimes, through a variety of situations, players have a slumps. Whether it be they got paid or complacent or simply the "sophomore" slump, some players regress when all indications prior were suggesting impending greatness. Kinda like what I got with Reggie last season.

Naturally I was very pleased to read where Reggie is dedicating himself to be better than ever. He's gonna spend more time in NOLA and focus more on winning one game at a time. He also metioned the sense of urgency to remain focused on football.

Reggie had a good enough season, I think, but he definitely left much to be desired, all things considered. I hope that he really does become the next M. Faulk. I think his heart and mind have everything to do with that. His interview give's me hope that this is HIS year.

I just don't see how people can say its a "sophmore slump"....more like an injury plagued season slump while having to step into a role he wasn't supposed to carry. In the first 4 games he was the feature back until the injury he did very well.

But I agree, he seems focused this year. I think he'll be fine.

But Bush said he plans on spending a lot more time in the Crescent City this offseason than he did a year ago, when he trained primarily back home in Southern California.

Heading into his third NFL season, Bush is eager to bounce back from a disappointing sophomore campaign, which ended four weeks early because of a knee injury.
I plan to take on a whole new approach as far as our road to the Super Bowl. Hopefully, that's where our destiny ends up," said Bush, who experienced the first losing season he can remember in 2007 and faced more criticism and skepticism than ever before about his ability to succeed at the NFL level.

"I feel like I have a lot to prove, a lot to try to make up for, what we lost last year. I feel like we all have a sense of urgency, and we have a lot to make up," said Bush, who did not require surgery to repair the torn posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. "It wasn't just tough for me, it was tough for everybody. It was such an up-and-down season. It was a very energy-draining season mentally. Hopefully, this season we can get off to a good start and just concentrate on one win at a time.

"I'm very eager to get back on the field, just to get back into working out, get around my teammates again and get started back on this thing again,"
http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-4/120314287964270.xml&coll=1

I just don't see how people can say its a "sophmore slump"....more like an injury plagued season slump while having to step into a role he wasn't supposed to carry. In the first 4 games he was the feature back until the injury he did very well.

But I agree, he seems focused this year. I think he'll be fine.

sometimes, through a variety of situations, players have a slumps

He has seemed to be more humbled in his position now. I am glad he is staying in NOLA this time around and I think that could prove beneficial for the entire team. I think the coaches and Reggie learned some valuable lessons about his strengths and weaknesses. I don't mind that sweep pass, but let's send the dude downfield more often, PLEASE.

IMO, Reggie does not trust his OL. That is the main key to every problem he has running the ball. If he trusted his OL he would follow the play as long as the linemen were in place to give him daylight...if one was out of place then he would have every right to cut it back or bounce it. The problem so far has been the linemen have been in their correct positions but the holes have been very small and not open long so that's when Reggie prematurely bounces plays to the outside and almost instantaniously when he does that you see the hole open to where he could have had a nice gain.

Until Reggie trusts his OL, you will continue to see what happened last year. For Reggie it is way more mental than it is physical.

Also, I think it is the FO responcibility to put some quality OL in front of him and Brees. those are the two superstar athletes we have and we really only have 2 linemen I would consider above average talent and those two players are on opposite sides of the line which means we do not have two linemen that are strong enough to be consistently good in opening holes and protecting Drew. This is why I would not be mad at all if a stud RT is picked in round 1 this year. Jahri Evans teamed with a mauling RT would be a great tandem for our running game.

IMO, Reggie does not trust his OL. That is the main key to every problem he has running the ball. If he trusted his OL he would follow the play as long as the linemen were in place to give him daylight...if one was out of place then he would have every right to cut it back or bounce it. The problem so far has been the linemen have been in their correct positions but the holes have been very small and not open long so that's when Reggie prematurely bounces plays to the outside and almost instantaniously when he does that you see the hole open to where he could have had a nice gain.

Until Reggie trusts his OL, you will continue to see what happened last year. For Reggie it is way more mental than it is physical.

Also, I think it is the FO responcibility to put some quality OL in front of him and Brees. those are the two superstar athletes we have and we really only have 2 linemen I would consider above average talent and those two players are on opposite sides of the line which means we do not have two linemen that are strong enough to be consistently good in opening holes and protecting Drew. This is why I would not be mad at all if a stud RT is picked in round 1 this year. Jahri Evans teamed with a mauling RT would be a great tandem for our running game.

Clady

I don't really get it...Reggie has speed, moves, and he's not afraid to take the odd hit, he's bright, he knows where the first down marker is...and yet he just doesn't seem to detonate when it comes to the ground game.

Ok so we didn't expect him to be an everydown George Rogers style masher, but I think everyone has to be at least a little disappointed with his rushing. Does Reggie ever talk about what the problem is? I haven't seen many sensible theories (beyond he's too weak/he's a bust/or this season's his breakout year style guff)

Ideas anyone?

I think Reggie can be a perfect guy for moving the chains. He excelled at that in year 1. Deuce got injured, Reggie lost a ball thanks to crappy calls and then the next thing you know Reggie gets beat down. All things considered, I think that there were too many things that were out of his control for him to continue to improve. Thats why I'm pleased with what I read: the things he can control seem to be top priority now.

I don't really get it...Reggie has speed, moves, and he's not afraid to take the odd hit, he's bright, he knows where the first down marker is...and yet he just doesn't seem to detonate when it comes to the ground game.

Ok so we didn't expect him to be an everydown George Rogers style masher, but I think everyone has to be at least a little disappointed with his rushing. Does Reggie ever talk about what the problem is? I haven't seen many sensible theories (beyond he's too weak/he's a bust/or this season's his breakout year style guff)

Ideas anyone?

Just curious.....did you read my post? BTW, this is not a theory, it's what the Saints brass believe and have talked with Reggie about. I was told the staff hasn't been too hard on him yet though because of the inconsistent play of the OL in our running game.

I think CHITOWN SAINT hit it on the head. Maybe it isn't a trust thing so much as it's that he aborts the play too fast. The holes may be too small initially, but it does eventually open up. DOOOCE had the same problems though. Too many times he ran up the back of the OL cause he hadn't cleared the lane fast enough. The difference is that DOOOCE stays with it a bit longer and hits the hole (when/if it actually opens up).

I think Reggie just comes out of his stance so fast that it's just not enough time for the blocks to develope.I don't want him to continue to compensate that with tap dancing though. I want him to just slow it down until his gifted speed is really needed.

Just curious.....did you read my post? BTW, this is not a theory, it's what the Saints brass believe and have talked with Reggie about. I was told the staff hasn't been too hard on him yet though because of the inconsistent play of the OL in our running game.

Our posts crossed my friend - and yes I read it and thought you made an excellent point.

Yeah, really working hard. Pounding away with Kim K every day. will probably run a 5.6 by the time training camp starts/.

Our posts crossed my friend - and yes I read it and thought you made an excellent point.

Re-read my post concerning yours and it came across worse than intended.......:9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom