A NFC team with record of 11-5 could miss the playoffs (1 Viewer)

We've missed the playoffs with 10 wins and made the playoffs with 8 wins. Just the way the divisions and conferences cycle.

I think it's time to expand the playoffs to a 7th seed. You really didn't have this problem when there were only 3 divisional winners and 3 wild cards in each conference from 1990-2001.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e-is-talking-about-expanding-the-nfl-playoffs

Yeah, that would be fine, but you still have the same problem. There's always a significant chance that a "good" team would be eliminated. You're just moving the line slightly with allowing another team in - but after we get used to that, we'll be thinking maybe it's time to add another team, and at that point you're basically the NBA. Do we really need half of the league's teams in the playoffs?

Also, in years with greater parity, you'll end up with several 9-7 teams vying for the last spot, and the spot going to a team based on some lame tiebreaker.

Interesting - but I like it with 6. You really have to have played a very solid season to get in.

We've missed the playoffs with 10 wins and made the playoffs with 8 wins. Just the way the divisions and conferences cycle.

You have to remember that the 10-6 season in 1988 only had 5 playoff spots (3 division, 2 wild cards) and the 8-8 season in 1990 was the first season with the 6th seed (3 division, 3 wild cards). Also, there were only 14 teams in each conference.

I went back and looked at the 1988 standings and if the Saints could have managed to have gotten just one more win, they would have been the 2nd seed instead of missing the playoffs. Who knew how deep into the playoffs our boys would have gotten. I'm beginning to really appreciate Payton rolling the dice instead of Mora's conservative, playing not to lose philosophy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_nfl_season

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_New_Orleans_Saints_season

top record NFC teams are
10-2
ATL

9-3
Saints
Bears

8-4
Philly
NYG
GB

7-5
TB

Thats 7 teams fighting for 5 spots (since STL or Sea will get the 4 seed)

TB is done. they won't 4-0 in the final month

NO has a 1 game lead on the 5 seed plays NYG and philly play each other next week meaning 1 has to get a loss. menaing that philly or NYG would need to win out the other 3 games doubt it. i think the giants or bears miss with 10 wins most likely the bears since the giants have the tie breaker.

also GB and Chi play each other again, Chi plays NE and NYJ GB plays NE the end of year games are tough and it'll even out. the NFL did it like this on purpose so teams wouldn't lay down a meaningless game

Heck no. Exclusivity, and a premium on the regular season (most important individual games in all of sports). The fewer teams in, the better your odds of taking it all when you DO make it. Plus, expansion would likely start by eating away at the byes, which takes even more of a premium off a great regular season and wrapping up a 1 or a 2.

The only thing that needs to happen to the NFL playoffs is reseeding. We shouldn't take a playoff game away from a division winner- it usually keeps a significant portion of the league interested after all- nor should we take away the principle that if you win your division you get a home game. But the playoffs should be reseeded after the first round, no doubt.

they already are

... No, they're not.

If you start the playoffs as the 5th seed, you are the 5th seed all throughout.

The Saints, for example, will probably play on the road for their three playoff games, despite having a better record than all of their opponents..

... No, they're not.

If you start the playoffs as the 5th seed, you are the 5th seed all throughout.

The Saints, for example, will probably play on the road for their three playoff games, despite having a better record than all of their opponents..

yes they are.

I deleted my post because i assumed he was talking about home games..which you seem to be as well

i'm not

you cant make a bracket for the NFL because if 6 beats 3 then 1 will play 6 instead of the 4-5 winner like almost every other tourney bracket..because of reseeding

It's not gonna happen.

People think this every year around week 11 or 12 and every year teams play each other down the stretch and things start to dilute.

To say an 11 win team misses the playoffs would assume such teams as the Bears or Bucs win 11+ games. It isn't going to happen.

The Bears are 9-3, its not farfetched that they could win two more games. I doubt Tampa will get to 11 wins though.

It is likely that a 10 win team will miss the playoffs this year.

Ok here is the schedule for the NFC North and East.
First there are 3 games in which one of the top 4 teams has to loose because they
are playing each other.
GB CHI
NYG GB
NYG PHI

On top of that these top 4 teams play Ne twice, DAL twice, MIN 3 times, NYJ once.

The Best and worst columns are my guess for a range of their final record.
While there is a possibility that there are 2 teams that could end up at 11-5 and not
win their division it will most likely be the 10-6 teams going to the tie breakers for the
final Wc spot.

--------------------------best --worst
CHI 9-3 NE Min NYJ GB ---12-4 ---10-6
GB 8-4 DET NE NYG CHI --11-5 ---9-7

PHI 8-4 DAL NYG Min DAL -12-4 --10-6
NYG 8-4 MIN PHI GB WAS -11-5 --10-6

NFC South
N.O 9-2 STL Bal ATL TB ---13-3 --12-4
TB 7-5 WAS DET SeA N.O. 10-6 ---9-7
ATL 10-2 Car Sea N.O Car -13-3 --12-4

That isn't true reseeding though. True reseeding would be to issue new seeds after each round... Ala the Saints grabbing the 3 seed after WC round and could feasibly be 1 seed by the CG if the 1 and 2 are out... Instead of only being able to potentially host the 6 they could host any team except the 1 or 2.

But to your initial point, I am primarily speaking about home field with the reseeding comments. It makes no sense for a hypothetical team that may have the second best record in a conference to play three teams in a row with inferior records on their home fields.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom