A pill that is able to induce autism. A cure for autism? (1 Viewer)

peytonknows

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Could be a great breakthrough for the autistic. I'm not sure if I would wanna take a Rain Man Pill (TM) though.

As I mentioned to Peyton in a PM, it would be interesting to see the world the way my kid does.

The "cure" being researched is specifically for Fragile X syndrome, which accounts for between 2 and 6 percent of autism cases. Still, a boon for those families if the research is borne out.

I'm always a bit skeptical of "autism cures," (specifically DAN and the like) however, because most of the time, it is intertwined with various unproven toxin theories as well as a startling lack of empathy or respect for people with autism. I want to help my kid, but I don't want to destroy what is unique about him.

Good Lord, if only it were that simple!!!!!

I hope and pray constantly that some type of cure, treatment or variation of both comes along to help my son and the children of all the parents I know. My wife and I are getting to an age where we have already had our will drawn up for the formation of a trust fund for our son and who would be his guardians in the event that something happens to us.

Our son is 20 and the outlook for any type of sustainable employment is bleek. Anything that would allow him to be able to interact with others and stay on task for employment purposes would be a Godsend, but the with various problems which autism present any type of sure fire cure is a long shot.

Hopefully some of this can become a reality in his lifetime so that he may be able to benefit from it.

As I mentioned to Peyton in a PM, it would be interesting to see the world the way my kid does.

The "cure" being researched is specifically for Fragile X syndrome, which accounts for between 2 and 6 percent of autism cases. Still, a boon for those families if the research is borne out.

I'm always a bit skeptical of "autism cures," (specifically DAN and the like) however, because most of the time, it is intertwined with various unproven toxin theories as well as a startling lack of empathy or respect for people with autism. I want to help my kid, but I don't want to destroy what is unique about him.

I'm skeptical of "cures" as well, Pasty. I believe that there are some who will improve if they do have a high metal content that can be reduced, food allergies that can be addressed, etc., but it's all part of MANAGING the autism. I'm all for continuing research, but I wish more attention would be given to helping our kids NOW with the proper educational environments, therapies, etc., to help them function in the world when we're not here to take care of them. My 10 year old son is turning into such a delightful young man; very sweet, caring, and smart. I credit his ability to be so interactive despite his autism to the early intervention and therapies we received, along with some fantastic support in school. I still get tired of the slow response of the school district at times (a weighted blanket for OT purposes was recommended at his ARD in May, but he still hasn't gotten it...), and I get sad when I hear of parents struggling to get basic services from their schools; more focus should be on making expensive therapies available to all, so that these kids can get the early help they need to manage their autism better.

We had some friends in NJ with a Fragile X son...very sad. If this is a cure for kids like him, I'm all for it.

Last edited:
Hi folks, my nephew has been diagnosed with Autism. Do any of you belong to an "online community"....kind of a support group? If you know of any I would appreciate a link that I could pass along to my sis. Thanks

Another dilemma to face:
Would it be selfish to "cure" my son or would it be selfish not to?
I so understand the dilemma Saint 58 faces with his son, because I wonder if our son will be in the same situation 10-15 years from now. I would love to see a way to remove that burden from him, but then I fear what said "cure" would do to his personality if such a thing ever becomes a reality.
For many with advanced autism, a "cure" would be a no-brainer, and certainly if my son were in the non-responsive set, it would be a no-brainer for me as well; but because he is high-functioning I worry how such a treatment might alter his personality. So, again, I have to wonder if I would be acting selfishly to give him the cure or be acting selfishly by withholding it?

I will say this: I certainly hope it is a dilemma I will be able to face. In the meantime, we must be diligent for our children in getting them treatment, therapy, services, etc., that will hopefully steer them toward being able to lead their life at least semi-independently.

Another dilemma to face:
Would it be selfish to "cure" my son or would it be selfish not to?

My son (7 yrs) overheard me telling my wife about this thread. We thought he was caught up in his videogame, but he heard us. A brief transcript:

Pasty: One of my friends online posted an article about a combination of pills that can induce and "cure" autism.
Son: (interrupting) Well, am I going to have to do that?
Pasty: Do you want to take a medicine that cures autism?
Son: No.
Pasty: I think you're fine just like you are.

Problem solved for me.

RPM28, where do you live? I can point you to a number of Mississippi resources. There's also a lot of national and international stuff, too.

I subscribe to a number of autism-related blogs, and you can find them by clicking here: >> READ MORE <<

Who here has a child/grandchild/relative with autism? I'd like to make a list, if no one objects....sometimes people think they're "alone" with this issue, when in fact there is a community of us here on sr.com alone. Also, sometimes I come across something interesting that I'd like to share with my friends here who are in the same situation, and being able to pm them as a group would be nice. I know that Pasty and I have shared thoughts over the last year or so, and having that kind of support is priceless.

Add to the list, if you want:
primadox/tenordas: 10 year old son with autism (high functioning)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom