A player that I believe would be better than DRC (1 Viewer)

Guitarzan

Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
After reading the question and answer section and seeing how well Talib played as he grew I've become more and more convinced that he's the better NFL ready cornerback.
His attitude is as good as an Old-schooler like me and Byron Scott could want. He's well spoken and humble enough to keep me from worrying about any prima dona syndrome that can come with a first round pick. He'd probably still be on the board through the bottom half of round 1. I think he's probably worthy of a pick somewhere around 19-24. Trading down for more picks in later rounds and still getting him at around 22 would be a coup. IMO

read more:
PFW: What was your favorite sport growing up? I’ve talked to guys in different professional sports, and it seems like the sport they’re playing isn’t always their first love. Is that the case with you?
Talib: Nah, nah. Football is actually my favorite sport. I actually played more basketball growing up, but I always wanted to play football. When I lived in New Jersey and Cleveland, everyone was always playing basketball, but I always was the one who wanted to play football. So football is definitely my favorite sport.

PFW: At Kansas, the basketball program has a lengthy tradition of success and naturally gets a lot more recognition than the football team. But you guys really stepped into the spotlight this year. What was it like to take away some of the spotlight from the basketball team like that?
Talib: I don’t think we really took any of the shine away from them — we just kinda got our name out there too. When teams and other people say Kansas, of course they’re going to say basketball, but now they’ll say, ‘Oh, they beat Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl too, didn’t they?’ So they might be thinking football now too. Before, they would think basketball and not even think about the football program. So, hopefully we can kinda keep things going and make ourselves known a little bit more every year.

PFW: You played in relative obscurity on a Kansas squad that went 6-6 your sophomore year, and then you’re playing in a BCS bowl game on the national stage one year later. What was that transformation like?
Talib: Man it was, it was … wonderful. It took hard work. We kinda had to change up everything that we did. It was a good experience though man, just to be a part of that team, and to get to celebrate and put on those hats and T-shirts after the game. It was wonderful, man.

PFW: In several mock drafts, you’re projected to be selected in the first or second rounds. For a guy who didn’t really have that many scholarship offers coming out of high school, did you ever see yourself reaching this point?
Talib: Of course, playing in the NFL was always a dream, but for it to be here now and for me to be a potential first-round pick, man, it’s crazy. It’s kinda unbelievable. It probably won’t hit me completely until my name gets called on the 26th (of April, at the NFL draft). It’s just surreal.

PFW: What’s more satisfying, scoring on offense or defense?
Talib: Oh, defense. NO question it’s defense. On offense, your goal is to score touchdowns, while your goal on defense is to stop the offense from scoring touchdowns. So if you score on defense, it makes that much more exciting and humiliating for the other team.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...alib031808.htm

As a Junior, Talib has established himself as one of the best defensive college football players in the country by being a Consensus First-team All-America. Not only has he performed well as a cornerback he has contributed on the offensive side as well. Though playing wide receiver sparingly, Talib has caught four touchdown passes through the first nine games. In a game at Kansas State, he ended a potentially game winning drive by intercepting a pass by Josh Freeman. He has also returned an interception more than 100 yards for a touchdown. In the 2008 Orange Bowl at the end of the season against Virginia Tech, Talib returned an interception 60 yards for a touchdown and was named the game's Most Valuable Player. On January 6th, 2008 Talib announced that he would forego his senior season and enter the 2008 NFL Draft.

Talib was invited NFL combine from February 23-26. He had an amazing combine. He had a 42 inch Vertical Leap, ran a 4.47 40-Yard dash, bench pressed 225 pounds 10 times, and had a broad jump of 10 feet 11 inches, and did a excellent job at the postion drills. [3] NFL draft experts have predicted Talib to go in the mid to late 1st round.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqib_Talib

I'm very high on Talib too, but not high enough for me not to feel a bit "eek" at #10. But I'd feel that way about any of the corners. And since there are 4 who have similar grades (Talib, Jenkins, McKelvin and DRC), any of whom I would be 'happy' with, I think the answer if our DT scenario doesn't happen is to traed back (partners willing).

If no trading partners...? I'm glad I don't have to make that decision, but I think the FO will go BPA, and I'd agree with them on that. Clady or someone like that would prob be the pick. There isn't anyone who looks like huge value at 10

I like the potential for immediate return on players like Jenkins or Talib more so than DRC....I see the talent in DRC...but he wasn't a dominate player at his level and that should say a lot about the production you will get outa this kid....I don't think he is worth the #10 pick....if he gets taken that high or higher it will be because of his combine numbers and not his play on the collegiate level.

Last edited:
Talib is a Junior looking to cash in, I don't want one, nothing personal, but for the #10 pick I want a history and work ethic, not a 3 year player with a few stats trying to get paid.

Give me Mike Jenkins if you want to draft a CB

I'm very high on Talib too, but not high enough for me not to feel a bit "eek" at #10. But I'd feel that way about any of the corners. And since there are 4 who have similar grades (Talib, Jenkins, McKelvin and DRC), any of whom I would be 'happy' with, I think the answer if our DT scenario doesn't happen is to traed back (partners willing).

If no trading partners...? I'm glad I don't have to make that decision, but I think the FO will go BPA, and I'd agree with them on that. Clady or someone like that would prob be the pick. There isn't anyone who looks like huge value at 10

same here if we stay put and select at #10, I'm doubtful as to whether or not he'd be graded that high.

What's it worth to trade down to around 19-22?

Talib is a Junior looking to cash in, I don't want one, nothing personal, but for the #10 pick I want a history and work ethic, not a 3 year player with a few stats trying to get paid.

who said anything about taking him at #10?

YAY finally the DRC hype is being shot down. Leodis or Talib

Last edited:
What are you gonna fight me now?, I was just asking because, well you were the only one replying...to your own thread.....just asking.......anyway...I like the potential for immediate return on players like Jenkins or Talib more so than DRC....I see the talent in DRC...but he wasn't a dominate player at his level and that should say a lot about the production you will get outa this kid....I don't think he is worth the #10 pick....if he gets taken that high or higher it will be because of his combine numbers and not his play on the collegiate level.

Actually he did dominate on his level. Stats don't tell the whole story of a cornerback. He was rarely thrown at, so his stats won't be the same as some others. Not saying that it would translate to the nfl, but it might.

I like DRC and have always believed him to be one of the two most intriguing players at CB; Leodis McKelvin was the other guy. I also believe that he is more talented than Aqib Talib, who is extremely inconsistent and seriously need to work on fundamentals. That said, at this point, I would not want either player at #10. I think if Dorsey or Ellis are gone, you start to look at a guy like Keith Rivers assuming no other top payer has fallen lower than expected.

Talib is not the answer, though. Heck, I would not touch him in the first round even though I know he'll be taken in the first. I would much rather have a guy like Tracy Porter in the second than Talib anywhere in the first as I think he's a boom/bust type player.

What are you gonna fight me now?, I was just asking because, well you were the only one replying...to your own thread.....just asking.......anyway...I like the potential for immediate return on players like Jenkins or Talib more so than DRC....I see the talent in DRC...but he wasn't a dominate player at his level and that should say a lot about the production you will get outa this kid....I don't think he is worth the #10 pick....if he gets taken that high or higher it will be because of his combine numbers and not his play on the collegiate level.

what??? If i ask if there's a problem you take that to mean malice? How nicely can it be put? I asked if there was one in the meaning of the word. If so then I'd delete it and PM yop are do something else to fix the "problem"
And NO I wasn't replying to my own thread, I was populating it with info on this player. Both of those are from separate websites with different addy's. Don't want to infringe on any copyright laws.

Again... is there a problem with this that annoys you? if so we can fix that

I agree, about Talib with the exception I would take him at 10, if he is the highest rated player on our board. IF we want him and he would be a good pick at say 19, well than he is a good pick at 10 IMO. Now sliding down a few spots and picking up an extra 3rd is a more appealing option and we would still get our targeted player. But I think if no one is will to play the trade game with us. I would grab him at 10 (barring both DT's being gone).

He has the best ball skills of all the corners, the guy flat out makes plays on the football. He will need to hone in his outher skills and get better technique (but that goes for almost all college prospects moving to the NFL) He isn't a one year wonder, he had a very productive overall career (over 63 defended passes 13 picks in 2 and1/2 years as a starter. Likes to mix it up in the run game. Has the best size/weight/speed combo and a hair under 6'1" but its build "better than a rail" and 204 pounds. He is an impressive prospect to say the least.

I know he was burt by Jordy Nelson bad on one play (which you will see soon, if it isn't already being posted as I type) But those people that go link us that will have to scroll through like 15 highlights of Talib (which the will conviently avoid, because it dosen't support thier case) and subsequently the only TD he allowed in man coverage all year. Its actually othe only one credited against him. The people will also post the he let up 45 - 92 passes, but if you watched any games and didn't just pick out a stat from a website you would know that alotta thos completions were short litte dumps when we was in zone coverage and he had no problem coming up and putting on the wack. He is the only top echelon corner this year to have under 10 yds per catch. Which is a stat that goes to show, alotta those passes were underneath and didn't go very far.

His ball skills are sick and he is dangerous with the ball in his hands, which I think is indicated by the fact they would not hesitate to line him up at WR and go to him. He has seen the endzone many many times in his career which just shows he is a threat if he does get the ball in his hands.

I think he is a serious playmaker, and a very good prospect and at the very least has all the tools you'd like to try and build upon. Plus he has alot of starting time under his belt even tho he is an underclassman and i think he would come in an contribute from day one. Will there be bumps along the way, yup. will he get beat in the NFL early in his career, yup, thats gonna happen to. But does he have the skill set to be sucessful in the NFL, yup, I have to say he does, and anyone that does should be considered, no matter where we pick.

Last edited:
I like DRC and have always believed him to be one of the two most intriguing players at CB; Leodis McKelvin was the other guy. I also believe that he is more talented than Aqib Talib, who is extremely inconsistent and seriously need to work on fundamentals. That said, at this point, I would not want either player at #10. I think if Dorsey or Ellis are gone, you start to look at a guy like Keith Rivers assuming no other top payer has fallen lower than expected.

Talib is not the answer, though. Heck, I would not touch him in the first round even though I know he'll be taken in the first. I would much rather have a guy like Tracy Porter in the second than Talib anywhere in the first as I think he's a boom/bust type player.

I've not seen much on Leodis. He's smaller and faster than Talib. But Talib has more TD's, interceptions and pass break ups against tougher competition. All-American and MVP and all. I'm trying not to get caught up in a frenzy here but can't seem to find a better candidate to trade down for at his spot. Do you think Jenkins is worthy at #10?

Ok see your flat out wrong, he was red shirted and could have left as a sophmore when he had just as good a year if he was trying to "cash in". The reason he left now is because he has a first round grade, and graduated academicly from the university of Kansas. He could have stayed in school to play one more year of football and take say ball room dancing (like say Matt Leinart), and even worse risk injury on the field. Or he can give the NFL a shot and see what hes got.

Lets put this knock on him to bed, because its silly and you have no clue what his reasons for declaring as a Jr. (rs) Or if it was money related.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom