A quick thought on Devery Henderson (1 Viewer)

FH_BIGGINS

Long Snapper Deluxe
Reaction score
With his speed and ability to only catch a pass or two a game.... why not convert him to a cornerback?

Interesting thought. Maybe it's been tried, maybe it hasn't. He is a coach killer -- all the talent in the world to get wide open and drops the ball. I know I'm crazy but I'd love to see him back with the Saints at WR because I think he's going to learn how to catch. We'll see...

With his speed and ability to only catch a pass or two a game.... why not convert him to a cornerback?

It'd probably take a few seasons before he'd have the technique down to be a viable option. That is, of course, assuming that he can learn the proper techniques: backpedaling for five to ten yards, how to get his hips turned, when to look for the ball, etc.

Interesting thought. Maybe it's been tried, maybe it hasn't. He is a coach killer -- all the talent in the world to get wide open and drops the ball. I know I'm crazy but I'd love to see him back with the Saints at WR because I think he's going to learn how to catch. We'll see...

With our ball control type of offense we need guys who can catch the ball and keep drives alive.There is no place on this team for a Devery Henderson,maybe if he could be signed for cheap and get him to place special teams then I would be all for it,but with the amount of 4 wide receiver sets we run I don't even want him on the field.He is just a distraction for Drew.

I don't think we will resign him. I expect him to get a pretty good FA contract from someone. The guy's got gamebreaking speed and somebody is going to believe that they have the staff to make him consistent. I won't be holding my breath on that.

You're not crazy unless I'm crazy too I'd love to see him back .

I don't think we will resign him. I expect him to get a pretty good FA contract from someone. The guy's got gamebreaking speed and somebody is going to believe that they have the staff to make him consistent. I won't be holding my breath on that.

That's how I see it. Henderson will be offered a pretty big contract by someone else after they watch some film of his big plays. They'll think - he's big, he can run, we can teach him to catch (if Saints' WR Coach Curtis Johnson couldn't there's little chance anyone can). And by week 8 he'll be what he has been for the Saints, a deep threat. And agree with most everyone else here - if nothing else, Robert Meachem can come in on third and long and run a 25 yard streak pattern.......

I had some great comment that was right in my hands, but I dropped it.
rating_5.gif

Honestly, why not bring him back, he played himself out of a Big Contract, we can give him a 1yr deal and let him try to impress in a "Contract Year" again, he's not gonna get big money anywhere else and I think Devery likes playing for the Saints, I think he is a good locker room guy and he does bring a demension to this offense we need even if we can't count on it to work all the time, I would hate to go into next year depending on some other guy to bring us what Devery did and they fail, there is no harm in bringing him back and let him work his way up the depth chart while still being that deep threat option.

Colston, Patton and Meachem will probably be the top 3, with Moore and possibly Copper being kept, Henderson's spot is really not that pressing to replace (#4 reciever) that's a good spot for him if you ask me.

It's time to let him go. Lets just re-sign Dave Patton. He's WAAAAY more valuble than Devery was and will ever be. He's just fast, thats all.

with devery

If u say he is a number 4, number 4 has to do special team duty. The question is who is better at number 4, Copper or Henderson. Copper in a landslide. He has contributed more to this team as a whole. He made good plays on the offense and key plays in the punting game and kick off. You go with the product that u will get more value out of and that is copper

Soft hands and the natural coordination it takes to catch a football is not something that is taught. The dude is in his 4th year. If he hasn't learned how to catch by now he isn't going to. Signing him to the league minimum would be the only situation where I'd bring him back. He is more then expendable with Meachem on the roster, who is more then physically capable to replace him as a deep threat (plus hes taller on top of being faster).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom