A quote from my professor (1 Viewer)

I'll say this, the thing that we must realize about Science is that as much as we do know about physics, matter and anti-matter, even the most advanced logical systems, their is far more we don't know about the Universe and how infinitely complex it is. Just imagine what we know now compared to what may be possible in 100-200 years. It is a fact that we can't master even 1/10th the speed of light. And we may never able to prove it's possible, by our accepted standards of science. But then again atomic theory wasn't just a creation of the mid 19th century, it existed in the rudimentary form as far back into the ancient Greco-Roman world with it being first proposed by Licotus and Clementius. Even Plato wrote several treatises on the Forms in reference to understanding the material world in terms of atomic matter as far as to it's different levels. Not to mention Epicurean belief in how that after human beings die, their atomic makeup just falls apart, their is no Heaven or Hell, although Epicurus did say that a higher form of intelligence existed, but really didn't care one bit towards us.

But still the standard was set for people like Newton, Sir Frances Bacon, David Hume, Immanuel Kant, and yes even GWF Hegel's Absolute Will dialectical treatise, a crude forerunner to Marxism in some ways.

Scientific Logic is supposed to tell how things work and explain the natural properties, materialism or what not. That can cover endless amount of things, with many different theories, hypotheses, and time-honored empirical observation. Religion's job is to tell why things are the way they are, to give a humanist observation perhaps of why our flaws keep us from moving forward. Maybe answering some of the questions or just discussing what we may not be always to comprehend. Or as a Catholic priest told me once "Comfort the afflicted, and afflict the comfortable". IMO, if an overall intangible ideal like "loving thy neighbor as thyself" or reading about Jesus Christ's teachings of the Good Samaritan or Not throwing the first stone, then I feel its worthwhile to believe in and use in my own life. It's the overall theme, not picking and choosing what I feel comfortable with. That's what matters overall. and yes most people do choose to listen to what seems to fit into their worldview as opposed to knowing the overall ideal.

That's why so many people have gotten turned off by organized religion.

I think it was a reference to another thread where Jeff talked about flooding and how he'd managed to get flooded in two different states or something - don't remember the specifics

and Shockmo responded "We should call you JeffDaFloodGuy"

and he was playing on that flood pun

Wow ....someone still has a sense of humor on this board....plus rep for you.

No I don't. What I meant was that one can never prove anything "100%". I will concede, though, that one will get a lot closer to "100%" demonstrating an experiment on "creation/destruction of matter" than one demonstrating "God always existed". :)
While you may be technically correct, the Law of Conservation of Matter and Energy state that matter cannot be created or destroyed. It can be converted, but that's it. No scientific experiment has shown a change in the amount of available matter after a transformation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom