A REALISTIC scenario where Jones, Jordan, and Mingo could be available (1 Viewer)

60minutes

Camp Body
Reaction score
1. Chiefs--Luke Joeckel, OT
2. Jaguars--Bjoern Werner, DE
3. Raiders--Damontre Moore, DE
4. Eagles--Geno Smith, QB

The first four picks are logical, maybe with Chiefs and Eagles swapping players.

5. Lions--Ezekiel Ansah, DE

Ansah is moving up and there was at least one team picking in the top 10 that stated anonymously that they see him as a top 10 pick. Doesn't mean he'll definitely get picked here but what we know is that the Lions run a traditional 4-3 scheme. With Werner and Moore off the board, they could opt for a CB like Dee Milliner here or take Ansah at DE. Jones, Jordan, and Mingo do not really fit the need at DE, though Jordan and Mingo might be more logical if they chose to take one of them anyway.

6. Rams (from Browns)--Chance Womack, OG

I am projecting a trade here. First, if the Browns stay put, I think they will take one of the OLBs with Mingo and Jones being the most likely two to be considered. But the Rams are desperate for some help on their interior line. They also have the ammunition to move up to grab Womack, who I think will be off the board by pick #10. The Cardinals, Jets, and Titans are all potential landing spots for him.

7. Cardinals--Eric Fisher, OT
8. Bills--Mike Glennon, QB

The Cardinals are likely to consider three players: Womack, Fisher, and Glennon. Ok, maybe Barkley but I do not see it. The Bills could take a QB as their owner suggested they would. Last year, he said they would take a CB and they did. If not, I can see them in the market for a MLB like Alec Ogletree. They might also be a candidate to trade down and I would not rule out Womack with Levitre a free agent.

9. Jets--Jonathan Cooper, OG
10. Titans--Dee Milliner, CB

Ok, this is where it gets tricky. Most projections I see have the Jets taking Mingo or Ansah. But the Jets beat writer continues to say that the team feels that it must address the offensive side of the ball first and that they will be in the market for help on the offensive line. Cooper is a 1b to Womack's 1a. The Jets are also prone to surprises and I would not be at all shocked to see them bypass a LB here. Even if they take one, that still leaves the other two on the board.

As for the Titans, their primary needs/target are said to be OL and CB. With Womack gone, Milliner makes a ton of sense here. If you take one glance at their starting CBs last season, you will quickly see why.

11. Chargers--Star Lotululei, DT
12. Dolphins--Cordarrelle Patterson, WR
13. Bucs--Jonathan Banks, CB
14. Panthers--Lane Johnson, OT

Like the top four picks, these picks are just logical. You maybe can swap the Chargers and Panthers' picks but it is hard for the Chargers to pass on Star who is a top 5 talent. He will replace the soon-to-be-departed Aubraya Franklin. With the Panthers, I can see them taking a DT like Jonathan Hankins or Jesse Williams here. But they also have needs at OT, which has been talked about in significant detail on their message boards. The Dolphins could be in line for help at WR, OL, and LB. I would not rule out any but Patterson is expected to blow the top off at the combine and move himself up into being a bonafide top 15 pick.

This now brings us to pick #15. We would be in a situation where Jones, Mingo, and Jordan are all on the board. What do we do? I know most people might say to either take Jones or trade down seeing as though all three are there. In the case of the latter, you have to have a WILLING trade partner and you also have to evaluate how far you can drop down without sacrificing the opportunity to draft one of the three. In the case of the former, Jones has been a spectacular and productive player at the collegiate-level, but there are some questions about his health, his athleticism/speed, and his preparation/commitment to being a great player. If he's the pick, do not get me wrong--I am not upset. I applaud it. But it would also not surprise me to see the Saints have Mingo and/or Jordan higher than him on their draft board.

So what to do? First, let's evaluate how far they might be able to trade back without losing any of the guys.

We know at pick #16, the Brown will be in the market for one of the LBs. Let's take away Mingo. At #17, the Steelers could also be in the market for a LB or a safety like Kenny Vaccaro. The Steelers might be most tempted to take Jarvis Jones since they tend to go for shorter OLBs. But I can see them holding off until the second round for a guy like Brandon Jenkins who profiles similar to the guys they have now. So let's say they take Vaccaro. At #18, the Cowboys have moved to a 4-3 and will either look at taking a 3-tech like Richardson/Floyd or OL help. At 19, the Giants can go in a number of directions, which might include a TE like Eifert/Ertz, a CB like Rhodes, or a LB like Ogletree. I also would not rule out a DE like Montgomery and Okafor For that reason, I have to also include Dion Jordan who might project to DE. Let's say they take Ogletree.

At #20, the Bears are likely to go with OL or LB. TE and CB might also become a factor depending on what's left. Let's say they take DJ Fluker. At #21, I think the Bengals take Okafor or Montgomery. At #22, the Rams would like to take Vaccaro if there. But if he's gone, then they might look at a WR, TE, or another S like Reid. No worries here. Minnesota is in the market for a WR or interior DL. Now, once we get to the Colts, we know that they run a 3-4 and could be looking for a stud OLB. Seattle runs a hybrid system and would not be afraid of taking a guy like Jordan, especially if someone like Richardson is gone. Green Bay has a 3-4 system as well. Though they have players in place, it is hard to pass on a top 10 talent.

So, potentially, if we were were to trade back, it would have to be a team selecting between pick #17-23 and that is cutting it VERY CLOSE. The Rams would probably like to jump ahead to assure themselves of Vaccaro, but that has two problems. First, if they move up for Womack, they are not likely to move up again. Second, even if they did, that would mean that the Browns would take say Mingo and the Steelers would take Jones leaving ONLY Jordan left for us and 5 teams picking before us at #23. Minnesota might come up but there is really no need. They can stay put and get a guy like Keenan Allen. Now, let's say they covet Richardson and do not want him to get taken by the Cowboys. They could trade with us or the Steelers. If it is with us, that might leave one or two of the guys on the board but might still be risky.So, in theory, we might only be able to move as far back as, say, the Bears but there would have to be some player on the board that would cause them to want to move up. Unless Jonathan Cooper or Lane Johnson is there, and they want to move ahead of Dallas to get him, then they are unlikely to do it. The best hope may be for Carolina to have taken Hankins and for Johnson to still be there. If so, we can get down to #20 and I am sure would still have a logical chance at landing whoever falls out of the three.

But if that's not the case, then we are probably more likely to stay put and take whoever it is out of the three we rank the highest. But it would be an interesting scenario that might bring a number of opportunities. The other thing I should mention is that you cannot control for teams behind these teams trading up to land one of these "falling" guys. So trading down is not always as ideal as it may appear.

I just thought I would share this scenario since I've been playing around with different things that "could" happen come draft day. I guess I should ask, what would you want the Saints to do at #15 if this happened. Would you take Jones, Jordan, Mingo or trade down hoping to land one?

If Star drops to 10 or 11 we should do everything we can to trade up.

Two guards in the top ten? Not going to happen... and there is no way any team would ever to move up 10 spots to the sixth pick for a guard. That would never happen.

Two guards in the top ten? Not going to happen... and there is no way any team would ever to move up 16 spots to the sixth pick for a guard. That would never happen.

Hmm, first, who moved up 16 spots to take a guard? I do not recall projecting such a trade.

Second, Womack is already considered a top 10 pick. Cooper is not far behind and we are talking about a New York Jets team that does not always operate by any accepted standard for how to approach the draft.

Further, I might also add that the league has changed. We used to be a league where more valued was placed on OTs than guards. That has, to some degree, changed. It was only a year ago that a NFL.com poll had Jahri Evans and Carl Nicks as two of the top three offensive linemen in the league, regardless of position. Joe Thomas was sandwiched between them. Teams are placing more emphasis on being able to build from the inside out. And to be honest, it makes sense. With the way the rules have changed, and the fact that this is such a passing league now, it is hard to generate pressure from the outside, especially against teams who featured QBs able to get rid of the ball quickly. So, it is important to then generate pressure up the middle through a variety of blitz packages and stunts where you can try to get a QB off his rhythm. So, to counter this, teams have to have solid interior offensive linemen.

I think it also a different draft year than other years. Right now, Womack by many scouts account is one of the top 5 players in the draft, period. According to Scout's Inc, he's #4. Cooper is #12. I think it is important for you to recognize the changes that are underway in our league. Five years ago, I might have agreed with you. Let us also remember there was a time when middle linebackers safeties, and tight ends did not get consideration in the top 15, much less the 10. Even that has changed significantly. You now need a top-flight safety on the backup who can cover if you want to slow down a passing attack. A stud TE can be a major asset. At the same time, having a guy like Willis or Kuechly to cover that TE is also important.

I am not trying to invalidate your opinion. Instead, I am offering you a bit of an alternative perspective.

If he fell to us, I would consider him. I do know that I would move up for him. What concerns me about him, and I think he's a terrific player, is his physical limitations. He has shorter arms that I think most scouts prefer and his lower body is thinner. You see the influence of both at times when he has gotten stonewalled by otherwise average offensive linemen.

Sorry but I disagree, we need an impact playmaker first and foremost. A player that brings every down it does not matter if it is an inside or outside linebacker but he needs to be a stud.

If Starlite Lotulelei is on that board at #11 I'd give up this years 1st and next years to get him!

Ya, if he happened to fall that far, i think a lot of teams will try to trade up for him at that point. But i seriously doubt he falls that far. As good as Ansah is, i dont think he's a top 10 guy. I actually think we'll be in prime position to take him at 15. For what we need, D-line/DB, i think we're actually in a great spot. And ya, someone who shouldnt fall to us, probably will.

I agree. Move up to get our NT. Our defensive line would be set for the next ten years with Cam, Hicks and Star. We could build this new defense from the inside out. Idk what it would take to move up 4 spots to get him but i'd be willing to give a good bit.

Read other teams forums. Every team is hoping that Jones drops to them. That should be a good indicater that it won't happen.

first of all i wouldnt call it a realistic scenario but if all three are available my choice would be jones easily. Id also take Mingo over Jordan by a mile, just not a fan of Jordan, the guy is athletic as hell but he is an athlete, not a football player

first of all i wouldnt call it a realistic scenario but if all three are available my choice would be jones easily. Id also take Mingo over Jordan by a mile, just not a fan of Jordan, the guy is athletic as hell but he is an athlete, not a football player

In another thread I had em ranked:

Jones
Mingo
Jordan
Ansah

In part, because of what you said. Jones and Mingo are football players who are also very good athletes, Jordan and Ansah are very good athletes who play football.

The time is NOW. Gimme a football player!

Wicket, what pick ahead was totally unrealistic? This thread is not making the argument that all three will fall; that's hardly the point here. But it does show a logical scenario in which it "could" happen. Point to the reaches and wild picks. Truth is, you only have six teams ahead of us running a 3-4. Of the six, KC is definitely going offense with the Cardinals also expected to do the same. The Jets, Chargers, and Dolpins could go either way depending on who is there. Even if the Browns stay put and take Mingo, the Jets would likely take Womack, Chargers Lotulelei and the Dolphins Patterson. So unless some 4-3 team tries to fit these guys into their system, or a 3-4 team trades ahead, that places the possibility of two being there on greater footing. Making the jump to three is not that farfetched even if it would take the perfect scenario as depicted above to happen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom