A Really Good Mock Draft... (1 Viewer)

Analyze This

increase after a decline
Reaction score
Guy's I did not see this one posted out there yet ,so I posted it. It is actually a very realistic mock draft, one of the better I've seen (IMO). It answers some of the questions I've been seeing on SR (is Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie a 1st rounder) and it gives reasoning behind each pick made. Looks like we go heavy Defense/Secondary picks (great!). I like all the picks but I wish we could get DRC and I'm not a C. Jackson fan (lacks speed)!!! If we want DRC we have to pull the trigger at #10 everyone has this guy as a 1st rounder.

Saints picks:

1st-Kenny Phillips DB
2nd-Curtis Lofton MLB
3rd-Chevis Jackson CB
4th-Patrick Lee CB

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008.php

That would be interesting, but I doubt Patrick Lee will go in the fourth. I'd be willing to bet, he'd be drafted before Chevis Jackson.

I hope we get Kenny Phillips. I don't see why people say he is only rated highly on SR. He would make the bad play of our corners less obvious.

CAREER: Considered by many to be the best safety in America...Will be a leading candidate for the Jim Thorpe Award as the best defensive back in college football...Was named to virtually every All-Freshman team in 2005 and was named third-team All-America as a sophomore in 2006 despite missing three games with an injury...In two seasons, has started 21 of 22 games played...Has two-year totals of 159 tackles (111 solo), nine tackles for loss, two QB pressures, one fumble recovery, 10 pass breakups and five interceptions...Team's leading interceptor in 2006...Has the most starts of any returning player in the secondary...UM coaches say he has "the body of Sean Taylor and the knowledge and speed of Ed Reed"...Had a stellar prep career in which he was the nation's top safety prospect and USA Today High School Defensive Player of the Year in 2004...Made an immediate impact as a freshman in 2005, starting the final 11 games of the season...Was named ACC Defensive Back of the Week following his first collegiate start in Clemson's Death Valley in 2005 (he ended that three-overtime game with an interception)...Excellent player in run support...Physical big hitter and outstanding man-to-man cover defender...Ball hawk who has great range, speed, power and has a nose for the ball...Quick learner who developed into a team leader as a true freshman...Has a great understanding of defensive football to go with poise and confidence...Sports administration major.

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/phillips_kenny00.html

I think Kenny Phillips will prove allot at the combine but I like DRC. I think he will be a major upgrade, instant starter, and a nabove average kick returner. He addresses 2 or more of our problems from day 1... He would be a major pick up. I love the pick of Curtis Lofton in the 2nd, he also starts day 1.

Mayock doesn't even have Phillips as the best safety in the draft.

Found this from another board:

North Carolina State safety DaJuan Morgan doesn't have any illusions about being a Top 10 pick. He understands that he's not the top safety in this year's draft (he's not even close to Miami's Kenny Phillips), but he says that if he works hard between now and the scouting combine, he thinks he might be able to get into the second round.

http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/messages/chrono/5995081/0/0/6001474#ID6001474

Why are we spending more mid-round picks on wanker CBs that will amount to nothing? If we want a good CB, then we had better bloody well get one early.

If Ryan Clady is there at #10, I think the Saints should take him. He would be the BPA, IMHO.

In round 2, Highsmith, Mayo or Derrick Harvey should go to the Saints before Lofton.

Round 3, Jackson, Steltz or Forte would all be good selections.

Patrick Lee in the 4th would be a great pick.

Draft 3 dbs in the first 4 picks? So if 10 dbs make the roster, only 7 are vets, and 1 of those is Usama Young? I like the idea of flooding the roster with young db talent as much as the next guy, but positional drafts like these are ludicrous. The only way I can foresee such a draft is if unexpected players fall to those slots. Otherwise, balance is the key.

Why are we spending more mid-round picks on wanker CBs that will amount to nothing? If we want a good CB, then we had better bloody well get one early.

Very little chance the draft would work out like this; and as you mention picking up two more middle-of-the-pack CBs after the 2nd doesn't make much sense. Mocks prior to free agency are pretty much a waste of time. I think it's practically a given the front office has to bring in LB and CB help during free agency. Hopefully they do better than in recent years at these positions (Fujita excluded).

If we do get a solid CB in FA Phillips in the first would be an excellent pickup that would almost immediately improve the secondary. If not I'm with you that the team needs to pick the best CB available barring something unexpected like Ellis falling to 10.

Whatever does happen though, they must draft all defense early this year. The team desperately needs an infusion of talent on that side of the ball at almost every position. Some respectable play on D for a change would really help out the offense and keep Drew from having to put it in the air 40+ times a game. Watching the San Diego D play NE I couldn't help but think that the Saints would be practically unbeatable with some hard-nosed, aggressive play like that.....one can hope.

I think Kenny Phillips will prove allot at the combine.

So, he will prove himself in tights and running in a straight line? I've never been a fan of the combine stars.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom