A recent news story got me thinking about abortion... (1 Viewer)

(BTW PureEnergy, I am a Catholic...and, yes, therefore a Christian. And having a Pro-Choice stand is hardly taking "the easy way out." But it's the sound decision, not clouded by religious superiority, but hardly easy... and certainly not popular around here.

Anyone can believe whatever they wish to believe. I was reared in the Catholic faith...became an Easter/Christmas Catholic in high school and college and returned to the Church over the past few years. I know many, many Catholics who are pro artificial birth control and some who are pro abortion. I'm not sure what you mean by religious superiority, but as a Catholic, I believe the teachings of the Catholic Church. If I didn't believe in the teachings of the Church, I wouldn't be Catholic. The Catholic Church teaches us that abortion is wrong, as a Catholic I believe this. I don't believe I am Superior to the Church; I'm just a follower who strives to do my best.

What a BS post, totally meant to drum up support for your anti-abortion sentiment. First of all, no one is "pro-abortion", and to label yourself as such is to give away the fact that you are against a woman's right to choose. "My girlfriend had an abortion" is akin to "I'm not racist, some of my best friends are black." The rest of your post merely backs up this observation. Are you looking to controversy to make people on the board side with you? All you have to do is state your real opinion if you want allies. There are plenty here.

Seems to me you have some reading and comprehension issues. Thats your problem. I gave my opinion on the issue and you are the ONLY ONE who took it as me trying to start an anti abortion thread. Again, thats your problem. I dont post here as much as most people, but Im sure a few posters here know from some of my past posts that Im not afraid to give my opinion on controversial issues, so if I meant this as an anti abortion thread there would have been no attempt by me to disguise it as otherwise. My opinion is all there laid out in my original post, and if you cant understand it then again, that is your problem. All I wanted to do was start a discussion on the lack of consistency brought up in my original post, and it is clearly written that I dont care which side it falls on, I'd just like to see more of it, or a good explanation for why there is not. I also wanted to get other peoples opinions because I dont understand why things are the way they are with the stuff I brought up and I figured maybe somebody could point out some things I hadnt thought of.

The "liberal media" (as you label it) doesn't latch on to "pregnant woman murders"...

Its pretty well know, by everybody but you I guess, that CNN and others lean left while Fox leans right. I guess only Fox leans right and everybody else calls it right down the middle huh. I also must have dreamed that whole Lacy Peterson thing up in my head too.

The media does, however, spend too much time covering the "Missing White Women of the Week" stories.

If you would have said "Pretty missing white teenage girl" then I would agree. But that has nothing to do with this thread, so moving on...

And I'm so sick of this bull: "The only time I care enough to be against abortion is when far left liberal wacko's claim its ok to perform abortions all the way into the 8th month. (To me, when it reaches the point where it can be born prematurely and still have a very good chance of living, then its a baby and to kill it is murder.)" Does anyone really think that a woman, 7+ months into her pregnancy, suddenly decides she doesn't want to have a baby? Late-term abortions happen for two reasons: A)her life is at risk if she carries to term, and B)she was put off for so long by the government that she couldn't have one before. "B" is extremely rare....for now.

Well, its been a pretty big story in the news lately about how some doctor gave a woman an abortion in the 8th month because she was depressed. So I guess they do happen and I guess they happen for more than the couple reasons you mentioned. And why did you completely neglect to mention the rest of that part of my post? You know, the part with the religious nut jobs and my feelings on abortion in the case of rape/incest? Hmmmmmm, agenda much? Oh wait, Im the one with the hidden agenda.

I can't get any of you to change your religious beliefs on this issue. But the point remains: IT'S NOT UP TO YOU! You start getting pregnant, and then we'll talk. But until then a fetus is only a "life" when the woman carrying it conveys that status upon it. Sorry if this offends your sensibilities, but that's the way it is. And no amount of machismo or religious rhetoric will change that fact.

Im an atheist. Its pretty well known here by at least a few members who Ive discussed religion with. This part of your post fails so miserably its laughable. But then again I clearly stated in my original post that Im not religious. There goes that reading and comprehension thing again.

In conclusion bop, if you want to start some kind of anti-abortion thread (which is hardly a new topic here), just do so. Don't bring out strawman arguments looking for people to support you. Just speak your mind. You'll be respected a lot more for doing so.

And you'd be a lot more respected if you didnt put words in peoples mouth and attack them for no reason other than your own desire to spew forth a multiple paragraph rant about your opinion on the topics of abortion, racism, child support, the death penalty, womens rights, religion, etc, etc. Dont twist my words, or outright make them up for me, as an excuse to give you a reason to post your opinion. Its a big board. Start your own thread for that.

"My girlfriend had an abortion" is akin to "I'm not racist, some of my best friends are black." The rest of your post merely backs up this observation.

This is a family friendly board, so I cant tell you what to do with that little observation. But I can tell you that if you want to come in my thread and attack me, attack me for what I actually wrote and I'll debate with you all day long. Just dont attack me for what you THINK I wrote or what you WISH I wrote when my thoughts, opinions, and intentions were CLEARLY put forth in my original post.

Last edited:
This confusion and broad band of an intrepretation of what is right and wrong is partly why God laid out the rights and wrongs. So that someones jaded opinion of what is right or wrong would not cause confusion/unrest, or come to harm someone else. A standard was/is set so there would be no confusion of right with wrong. The law is for the lawless. God is not the author of confusion. Man/woman confuses things when he/she begins to stray into his/her own justification of right and wrong. The pride of life, the lust of the eye and the lust of the flesh.
If we were left to one anothers opinions of what is right or wrong I'm sure many serial killers would not be dealt with because in their own opinion they were doing what is "right."

Last edited:
So if I understand your post correctly, a person performing an abortion should be made to pay a penalty determined by the father of the unborn.

That would get weird pretty quick.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom