A Retrospective Of John Mecom’s Tenure As Saints Owner (1 Viewer)

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously, his ownership of the Saints is so intriguing. He gained control of the team at 28, which is still the record for youngest owner in any sport. His abysmal record during his tenure.
How did the League allow this? I just turned the same age as when he bought the team and I still realize I make stupid decisions.
I can’t think of how this got approved.

It was a much different league and world.

He was very uninterested in winning. He liked making money but never wanted to spend any.

His tenure literally ruined the emotional sporting lives of the fans that wanted to see our team win or at least look respectable. It never happened.

When Benson took over and promised to bring a winner I was suspect as many were. Then we started winning and it was like having an emotional sports thorn pulled from my heart. The entire city spirit city was lifted up.

Now we have an entire generation of fans who expect to win every year. So new orleans today has a tale of two different experiences and some in between. I can’t say that I expect to win every game but I sure do appreciate quality football being played in the black and gold. Winning is langniape for me

Seriously, his ownership of the Saints is so intriguing. He gained control of the team at 28, which is still the record for youngest owner in any sport. His abysmal record during his tenure.
How did the League allow this? I just turned the same age as when he bought the team and I still realize I make stupid decisions.
I can’t think of how this got approved.
How did the League allow this?

easy, back then there really wasnt any organization so owners did as they pleased and there was no central leadership or league rules for owners to follow.

each organization lived or went bankrupt from its own decisions so it was every owner for himself, there was no league office has to approve what you do back then, that only became a thing after players became a union

Hank Stram was a decent hire, but he fired him one season too early (Manning was hurt for most of one of Stram's 2 seasons). It would've been interesting to see Stram calling plays for Manning and Muncie/Galbreath/Chandler/Childs for the 78 & 79 seasons instead of Dick Nolan.

Bum wasn't a bad hire, and the 83 team probably should have been a playoff team but was hamstrung by terrible luck, subpar quarterbacking (Just like Earl Campbell a year later, Stabler was way over-the-hill by the time we got him but Bum was loyal to his old guys), and finally Bum's decision to play a super-soft zone on the Rams' game-winning field goal drive in the 83 finale (2 most painful losses of my lifetime were both the Rams).

Other than that, yeah, it was a total trainwreck.

Last edited:
Let me save you some trouble. I was a precocious eight-year old when it all started and I had a front-row seat for the whole thing.

You might be being a tad harsh. Let's give him his due. He was a trailblazer. He was the first to make an other worldly hire, installing an astronaut as general manager. And he was the first to make an unprecedented head coach hire, managing to poach a coach from the Richmond Roadrunners.

So there's that.

(Now where did I put my beer?)

And without him, no New Orleans Saints.
Not necessarily...

It goes back to the whole NFL antitrust agreement that was settled in NO... New Orleans was going to get a franchise... Mecom was up for ownership...

Hank Stram was a decent hire, but he fired him one season too early (Manning was hurt for most of one of Stram's 2 seasons). It would've been interesting to see Stram calling plays for Manning and Muncie/Galbreath/Chandler/Childs for the 78 & 79 seasons instead of Dick Nolan.

Bum wasn't a bad hire, and the 83 team probably should have been a playoff team but was hamstrung by terrible luck, subpar quarterbacking (Just like Earl Campbell a year later, Stabler was way over-the-hill by the time we got him but Bum was loyal to his old guys), and finally Bum's decision to play a super-soft zone on the Rams' game-winning field goal drive in the 83 finale (2 most painful losses of my lifetime were both the Rams).

Other than that, yeah, it was a total trainwreck.
Crazy knowing people remember turning points in a game before I was born.
Goes to show, no matter how big a fan you think you are, they're always someone that has the right to roll their eyes at you.

Crazy knowing people remember turning points in a game before I was born.
Goes to show, no matter how big a fan you think you are, they're always someone that has the right to roll their eyes at you.
dont-roll-your-eyes-at-me-4338320.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom