A shorter preseason and more efficient training camps will benefit players in a longer NFL season, says Commissioner (1 Viewer)

Possibly I guess.

I'm for shortening the preseason. As a fan I want more games, but understand the arguments against it.

I'm fine with the 18 game season now.

I hate preseason injuries.

They'll make the proper adjustments to expanding the rosters, changing IR/PUP rules, increased health benefits, lighten the offseason workload, etc.

Who could possibly be against turning 2 of the 4 preseason games into meaningful games?

Will be interesting to see how they handle the scheduling.

I think they will probably just expand the first team plays a first team from that division rule into 1st/2nd place teams play 1st/2nd place teams from the other divisions, and same for 3rd/4th. So, this year we would have played Dallas/Philly and Minny/Green Bay. Now 3rd/4th placed teams actually have a more decided advantage in scheduling over 1st/2nd placed teams.

To quote eminem

"yall are so mother f'ing full of #@! that you stopped up"

This is all bs and he knows it. This is about more revenue.

What the hell is a more efficient training camp? I swear this guy is making it up as he goes, right now starters play about 1 full game in the preseason spanned out over 4 weeks. 16 game regular season that's 17 games of wear and tear.

In an extended season they'll probably play 1 full game in 2 weeks, and have an 18 game season. So that's 19 games. A lot of teams go limping into the playoffs as is, just imagine what it'd be like with a longer season.

Plus you lose 3 games to evaluate the backups and bubble players. Yeah those games might be boring to watch but for the integrity of the sport they are necessary. With an extended season Galette would have never gotten a chance to stand out, there are simply too many players and not enough playing time.

All Goodell sees is dollar signs because there is no way this benefits the players. I call bull****!

Question is will players be compensated for the additional games?

Another thing is it only gives organizations only 2 games to evaluate players instead of 4.:idunno:

Question is will players be compensated for the additional games?

100% certain they will. No question.

Another thing is it only gives organizations only 2 games to evaluate players instead of 4.:idunno:

You'll just see starters playing less in the preaseason most likely.

Whether that's a bad thing or not I guess is personal opinion. Less injury risk in meaningless games, but crappy teams won't have extended time to get their starters work that they probably need.

I'm conflicted.

Meh I think taking away two preseason games but changing it to 17 regular season games is the perfect compromise.

the league gets 16 more games to profit out of for a week that will be full of even moire playoff drama.

The players have one less game to be injured in and to stretch their existing contracts into.

Then ago it could all be a coup by those stupid '72 Dolphins since they are getting to old to handle the stress or digest the champagne :hihi:

Yeah, pre season is long and boring, but I think it's necessary simoly for talent evaluation. I just simply think 18 regular season games is too much for the level of play of the NFL. It's hard enough keppeing these guys healthy.

I actually think that the schedules should be more compatible throughout the division. If we move to an 18 game schedule I would like to see this layout.

4 games - Entire NFC West
4 games - Entire NFC East
4 games - Entire NFC North
6 games within the division
2 games - Falcons
2 games - Bucs
2 games - Panthers

= 18 games

Everyone in our division will play the identical schedule. I know it eliminates all the AFC games. But at least the easier/harder schedule non-sense would stop. This would also allow for the entire NFC to be compairable with win-loss records because we wouldn't get the luck of the draw AFC division games.

Just my $0.02.

I'm sure some of this is for $$$, but i'm all for eliminating all preseason games. There is way too much crap that can happen in those games that are uncalled for. You don't get preseason games in college, why do you need them in pros?(and don't give me "you need to see players actually play, etc" you can cut/trade/sign/re-sign

To quote eminem

"yall are so mother f'ing full of #@! that you stopped up"

This is all bs and he knows it. This is about more revenue.

Yep.

This is about $$$$$$$$$ and nothing else.

I think the 4 preseason games are actually perfect. The first game, teams are still out of it. The second game, teams are finding their way, and the third game is the final tuneup for the starters - the fourth game is all about those young guys. It makes sense.

But getting rid of one game would be fine. Getting rid of two games just means that teams will still be rusty when week 1 starts.

I actually think that the schedules should be more compatible throughout the division. If we move to an 18 game schedule I would like to see this layout.

4 games - Entire NFC West
4 games - Entire NFC East
4 games - Entire NFC North
6 games within the division
2 games - Falcons
2 games - Bucs
2 games - Panthers

= 18 games

Everyone in our division will play the identical schedule. I know it eliminates all the AFC games. But at least the easier/harder schedule non-sense would stop. This would also allow for the entire NFC to be compairable with win-loss records because we wouldn't get the luck of the draw AFC division games.

Just my $0.02.

Well, it is interesting at least, but no NFC/AFC crossover except in the Superbowl would be really weird.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom