A UK fan's view (1 Viewer)

DahnVill

Guess which one is me!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just found this website recently so thought I better join in!

I've been a fan of the Saints since the 91/92 season, the year of the 7-0 start and first ever division title, (and the playoff loss to the unmentionables…) so I haven't just jumped on the bandwagon!

I finally got the chance to go to a game for the first time last month, as myself & my girlfriend came over for the Eagles game - I don't think I could have picked a better first game! The whole day was absolutely amazing & I nearly lost my voice, but it was worth every penny though and I'll be coming back again every year from now on!

I think it's great that the team are getting some attention for the right reasons and they're even getting noticed over here now. On TV over here on Sundays we basically get a choice of 2 games at 1pm ET and 2 games at 4pm ET, and this week the TV channel had a 'fans vote' where viewers got to pick the games - and yep, you guessed it, they picked the Saints-Steelers game (I only voted once, so it wasn't all down to me!). This will be the 4th time they've been shown live on UK TV this season, or 5 if you count the Monday Night Massacre which was shown on a different channel, (& which I got up for at 1.30am UK time so I could watch it!) which probably matches the total number of times they've been shown in the last 3 years. Originally they showed the Saints cos of all the hype surrounding Reggie, but now we've proved we're a legitimate team we're getting some proper attention for a change.

Hopefully this increased exposure will generate some new fans, cos there aren't many Saints fans in the UK that I know of. In fact, I was trying to find a UK fans website when I stumbled across this site! If we do get some new fans, hopefully they won't just jump off the bandwagon sometime down the line when things get tough again (which hopefully won't be for a good few years yet!) and will stick with the team, as I did during the late 90's.

Back in 1991 I had no knowledge of the Saints history or reputation, but they looked like a good team & they weren't one of the 'big name' teams either, as it seemed at the time everyone who liked American Football over here was a fan of either the Bears, Dolphins, 49ers, Raiders or Redskins, so that was another reason I chose the Saints as my team. The TV coverage back then was pretty much non-existent, something like 3 hours of highlights a week and that was it. No live games other than the Super Bowl. Therefore keeping up with the team in those pre-internet days was pretty hard, but I kept an eye out for results & went to school & then work slightly happier if the Saints had won the night before.

It seems we're still not getting everyone's respect in the US though, after reading various articles and comments on this site. But that's fine by me and it seems the team aren't bothered by it either, if everyone keeps expecting us to lose then it just makes that chip on our shoulder even bigger & makes the players more determined to prove everyone wrong.

Being realistic, I know it's unlikely we'll win the SB this year, but if we can keep the players & coaching staff together for a few years I really believe we'll be legitimate contenders for the forseeable future.

Although Payton, Brees and Colston have been getting most of the plaudits, I think the whole franchise has done tremendously well to turn things around after what happened last year. I was seriously concerned for the future of the team after reading various news reports online & hearing that Benson was trying to move the team to San Antonio, but after visiting last month I don't need to worry any more as the city simply won't allow the team to leave, even if Benson wanted to. And after following the team from afar for 15 years I now feel like a 'real' fan after going to a game & visiting the city and as I've already said, I'll be coming back every year from now on.

Well I think I've gone on long enough for now, so just time for a prediction - Steelers 20 Saints 23

GO SAINTS!!

Excellent post Darren and welcome to the forum. That is so great that you get a shot to watch our favorite team "across the pond" especially this week against the Champs. GO SAINTS!!

Hey everyone, I just found this website recently so thought I better join in!

I've been a fan of the Saints since the 91/92 season, the year of the 7-0 start and first ever division title, (and the playoff loss to the unmentionables…) so I haven't just jumped on the bandwagon!

I finally got the chance to go to a game for the first time last month, as myself & my girlfriend came over for the Eagles game - I don't think I could have picked a better first game! The whole day was absolutely amazing & I nearly lost my voice, but it was worth every penny though and I'll be coming back again every year from now on!

I think it's great that the team are getting some attention for the right reasons and they're even getting noticed over here now. On TV over here on Sundays we basically get a choice of 2 games at 1pm ET and 2 games at 4pm ET, and this week the TV channel had a 'fans vote' where viewers got to pick the games - and yep, you guessed it, they picked the Saints-Steelers game (I only voted once, so it wasn't all down to me!). This will be the 4th time they've been shown live on UK TV this season, or 5 if you count the Monday Night Massacre which was shown on a different channel, (& which I got up for at 1.30am UK time so I could watch it!) which probably matches the total number of times they've been shown in the last 3 years. Originally they showed the Saints cos of all the hype surrounding Reggie, but now we've proved we're a legitimate team we're getting some proper attention for a change.

Hopefully this increased exposure will generate some new fans, cos there aren't many Saints fans in the UK that I know of. In fact, I was trying to find a UK fans website when I stumbled across this site! If we do get some new fans, hopefully they won't just jump off the bandwagon sometime down the line when things get tough again (which hopefully won't be for a good few years yet!) and will stick with the team, as I did during the late 90's.

Back in 1991 I had no knowledge of the Saints history or reputation, but they looked like a good team & they weren't one of the 'big name' teams either, as it seemed at the time everyone who liked American Football over here was a fan of either the Bears, Dolphins, 49ers, Raiders or Redskins, so that was another reason I chose the Saints as my team. The TV coverage back then was pretty much non-existent, something like 3 hours of highlights a week and that was it. No live games other than the Super Bowl. Therefore keeping up with the team in those pre-internet days was pretty hard, but I kept an eye out for results & went to school & then work slightly happier if the Saints had won the night before.

It seems we're still not getting everyone's respect in the US though, after reading various articles and comments on this site. But that's fine by me and it seems the team aren't bothered by it either, if everyone keeps expecting us to lose then it just makes that chip on our shoulder even bigger & makes the players more determined to prove everyone wrong.

Being realistic, I know it's unlikely we'll win the SB this year, but if we can keep the players & coaching staff together for a few years I really believe we'll be legitimate contenders for the forseeable future.

Although Payton, Brees and Colston have been getting most of the plaudits, I think the whole franchise has done tremendously well to turn things around after what happened last year. I was seriously concerned for the future of the team after reading various news reports online & hearing that Benson was trying to move the team to San Antonio, but after visiting last month I don't need to worry any more as the city simply won't allow the team to leave, even if Benson wanted to. And after following the team from afar for 15 years I now feel like a 'real' fan after going to a game & visiting the city and as I've already said, I'll be coming back every year from now on.

Well I think I've gone on long enough for now, so just time for a prediction - Steelers 20 Saints 23

GO SAINTS!!

You should make contact with a bloke named Simon. He's got a fan club going:

www.britishsaints.com

Check it out.

Tell him Mark sent you.

Darren

There used to be a UK fan club with more than 200 fans. It folded and the link above is a new venture. I have met Simon, he is as hard core as you can get (seeing every home game in NO - I think). So there are some fans, but not many. A pitty you missed the Saints beat the Raiders in London in 1987 (or 88). That was a pre season game.

That's awesome that we got a little following in the UK......That Philly was an exciting game, matter of fact, the ATL, Tampa, and Philly games were probably some of the top games i've been to.......

Welcome to SR.com. The UK contingent of SR.com members continues to grow. :)

Niiiice!!! my fiance visits family every year in the UK and i will be going with her this year. She eventually wants to make the move permanent and my number 1 concern was if i could follow all the games over there.

With the NFL traveling out of the country, you may get to see them at home in the near future.

Welcome to SR Darren. I continue to be amazed at how many fans the Saints have in the UK. Until recently I didn't realize that NFL had much of a following in the UK. Much less the Saints. I am lifelong Saints fan and I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that the NFL fans in England voted to see the Saints/Steelers game on TV instead of the Dallas Cowgirls. Finally, some respect. I'm glad that you got to see the Saints play Philly at the Superdome. That was a really great win for the Saints against a very good Eagles team. I was told that the Superdome was rockin' for that game. I wish I could have gone but the Atlanta and Carolina games depleted my funds and wrecked my voice for two weeks. Nice to have you aboard. :beerchug: :gosaints:

Welcome to SR Darren. I continue to be amazed at how many fans the Saints have in the UK. Until recently I didn't realize that NFL had much of a following in the UK. Much less the Saints. I am lifelong Saints fan and I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that the NFL fans in England voted to see the Saints/Steelers game on TV instead of the Dallas Cowgirls. Finally, some respect. I'm glad that you got to see the Saints play Philly at the Superdome. That was a really great win for the Saints against a very good Eagles team. I was told that the Superdome was rockin' for that game. I wish I could have gone but the Atlanta and Carolina games depleted my funds and wrecked my voice for two weeks. Nice to have you aboard. :beerchug: :gosaints:

It definitely was a great one, awesome feeling lots of emotion and great plays on both sides, we had control for much of the game until that 3rd quarter but then the clock eating offense came through in the 4th when Carney kicked that kick through the uprights people were hugging and all kinds of stuff, just like the Tampa game(another thriller), except this time I really felt that we were legit after that win, that's the first time I felt that we had a good enough team to make the playoffs, hopefully that's the case.......

Welcome to the Saintsreport Forum. This is the epicenter for Saints fan everywhere around the World. Since leaving New Orleans in 2001 (Chicago), this is my main source for news and information about the team. Everything you want to know about the team can be found here.

Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Football is definitely on the up again over here, which is great. I was too young when we had the original boom in the early 80's and it was in danger of dying out altogether after the London Monarchs in NFL Europe were relocated to Germany in the 90's. But thanks to increasing TV coverage and hard work by lots of people at ground roots level, it's popularity is increasing again.

We actually have around 40 teams over here & I played for 4 years, but the standard is pretty poor to be honest!! I caught a high school game while I was over last month & the level of play was way higher than what I used to play at.

But that's not really the point, guys over here play it cos they love the game & it's pretty expensive too with all the kit & travelling around & stuff, so you really have to be dedicated.

It's great that the NFL are going to have a regular season game over here soon, the tickets will sell out in minutes, believe me. Just hope I can get my hands on one!

Welcome to sr.com. I myself started following the team back in 91 as well. Its funny, but prior to that I liked baseball and not football. My friend across the street kind of pushed football on me because I went out and played football almost every single day. After awhile I was like....I like this game. We started watching the Saints games and next thing you know I was hooked. Can't see myself being a fan of any other team

Good to see a fellow UK saint at SR. Very jealous you've actually been to a game. I'm gonna try and get out next season and see one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom