A vaccine question...... (1 Viewer)

There was some discussion in scientific circles about the possibility that some people are less impacted by the Covid-19 virus because at some point in the past they had fought off a virus similar enough to give them good antibody response.

I lost track of that and it was all very preliminary so I don't know if peer review supported or disproved.
If that were the case with me, would a similar virus show up on the antigen test?

I haven't seen anything like that so I can't comment, not that I'm in any way an expert. I do know the belief has been that viral load/exposure is the best indicator for infection/disease, so if @UK SAINTS wife wasn't particularly sick he may not have been exposed to a high enough viral load to get sick himself.
That's a good point. My brother ended up being hospitalized, but my exposure to him was only one day; though I say directly beside him on the couch as we watched football that day.

That's a good point. My brother ended up being hospitalized, but my exposure to him was only one day; though I say directly beside him on the couch as we watched football that day.

I would assume you were just lucky instead of assuming natural immunity and get vaccinated when you have the opportunity.

I actually read an article or something relating to this. Most vaccines have a 7 year development. The first portion is identifying and doing all the background work on finding the weak point on the virus. This virus is very similar
To SARS which had this step done 15 years ago. Now, the rest of the clinical trials of stages 1-3 are exactly the same in this virus. The difference is that the paperwork review and personnel was able to be greatly increased because of essentially unlimited funding and pressure to hurry. So it wasn’t a case of constantly fundraising which takes the majority of time. The results also didn’t sit on someone’s desk and get shuffled around until they felt like looking at it and reviewing it.
Volunteers were willing to participate. The staff needed to oversee was budgeted fully. Results were reviewed immediately and the next step started immediately. Money was never an option. That’s why this vaccine was done in 7 months. Any vaccine can hit this timeframe now with the science available. All it needs is money and hundreds of thousands dying to motivate governments to supply the motivation to get it done.

There's not "information on all sides." There's information and then there's misinformation. To give you the cliff notes version, the information says you should get the vaccine as soon as you can. Everything else is the misinformation.

This covers the basics. But, in short, thanks to SARS And MERS, we had an early jump on bad coronaviruses. And also, luckily both of those diseases never broke out into full on Pandemic mode.

Then the last bit... money was no longer an object.

Also, the 7-10 years is misleading.. a little hurry up and a lot of wait fills that time.

One reason the vaccines were produced so quickly is because all three phases of clinical trial were run simultaneously rather than in succession. There is no fundamental scientific reason why three phases of clinical trials couldn't be run simultaneously. The reason this had not been done in the past was economics. It's extraordinarily expensive to run clinical trials, and the cost increases exponentially with every phase. No company would want to run phase three trials without first knowing that phase 1 showed no problems.

However, with the COVID-19 pandemic, governments showed they were willing to fund companies with enormous and unprecedented amounts of money whenever there were promising results. What you're seeing now is the speed at which vaccines could be produced if money were no longer much of an limiting factor.

If that were the case with me, would a similar virus show up on the antigen test?
I'm in no way qualified to answer this. I'm not even sure there's enough data for anyone to make that call, so if this would be true you could only get there with a wild guess.

Better to follow the science.

I have not yet had the opportunity to take the vaccine. Though I have been exposed to it, I have not contracted it. I've had both the antigen and covid virus test. The fist time that I was exposed was when my brother supposedly at his most contagious (2-3 days before he had symptoms). I quarantined and worked for home for 2 weeks.
The 2nd time that I was exposed was when my wife contracted it. My thought at the time was to go ahead and "get it over with" so that I would have it, too. I continued to sleep with my wife and not change anything.
Is there any evidence that some people are "immune"?
I don’t think there is a solid answer. My coworker’s wife spent 5 days in the hospital, he was with her before that as she was obviously very sick taking care of her. He never tested positive, nor did he get sick. My friend who was very sick and ended up with a heart condition from it had her dad be positive and only had one day of sore throat. All sorts of stories I know like that. Some families are hit hard others have one or two and no one else. They are thinking possible previous corona infection with something similar to provide some immunity, or in some way people just are more susceptible.
If my wife had it very early last year before testing (of the group of 3 cohorts all were sick at the same time, both of her friends positive for antibodies, she was just never tested) all I had was a mild loss of taste and smell and a bit of very mild chest congestion no worse than allergies.

random vaccine question.

i've seen articles (not sure how "valid" they are), about airports, sporting events, concerts, etc requiring proof you've had the vaccine before you can do such things.

is there any truth to that? if so, how soon could we honestly expect that? my fiancee and i have planned our honeymoon in november that involves a flight, i'm not sure we'd be able to possibly even get the vaccine by then, if we were to choose to. just curious if we need a backup plan or not.

random vaccine question.

i've seen articles (not sure how "valid" they are), about airports, sporting events, concerts, etc requiring proof you've had the vaccine before you can do such things.

is there any truth to that? if so, how soon could we honestly expect that? my fiancee and i have planned our honeymoon in november that involves a flight, i'm not sure we'd be able to possibly even get the vaccine by then, if we were to choose to. just curious if we need a backup plan or not.

At this point nobody has said that proof that you had the vaccine will be required for anything. It's all speculation/fear mongering about what could happen. But nobody has said that they will do anything like this. I don't even think hospitals are requiring their employees to be vaccinated in order to keep working in hospitals. This is just based on rumors started by people who seek a political/economic advantage in spreading rumors and lies about the government taking away rights.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom