A vaccine question...... (1 Viewer)

I have not yet had the opportunity to take the vaccine. Though I have been exposed to it, I have not contracted it. I've had both the antigen and covid virus test. The fist time that I was exposed was when my brother supposedly at his most contagious (2-3 days before he had symptoms). I quarantined and worked for home for 2 weeks.
The 2nd time that I was exposed was when my wife contracted it. My thought at the time was to go ahead and "get it over with" so that I would have it, too. I continued to sleep with my wife and not change anything.
Is there any evidence that some people are "immune"?

You can get an antibody test but it has to be pretty soon after the exposure and even then their accuracy is questionable

Anyway - I have had a similar experience. I will go to my grave believing that I had COVID last January, but as of now there is no way to tell definitively. But I have had 3 exposures to positives, including one that occurred in a small room over several hours 36 hours before the positive lost his sense of smell/tested positive. I've tested negative each time.

But I am taking the vaccine as soon as I can. I might have had it but I might just be lucky (so far). Not going to risk it.

At this point nobody has said that proof that you had the vaccine will be required for anything. It's all speculation/fear mongering about what could happen. But nobody has said that they will do anything like this. I don't even think hospitals are requiring their employees to be vaccinated in order to keep working in hospitals. This is just based on rumors started by people who seek a political/economic advantage in spreading rumors and lies about the government taking away rights.
thats good to know.

i know ocshner in lafayette doesnt. yet.

At this point nobody has said that proof that you had the vaccine will be required for anything. It's all speculation/fear mongering about what could happen. But nobody has said that they will do anything like this. I don't even think hospitals are requiring their employees to be vaccinated in order to keep working in hospitals. This is just based on rumors started by people who seek a political/economic advantage in spreading rumors and lies about the government taking away rights.
At some point it may, just like so many other vaccines. Right now, there is no way to enforce it given the shortage of vaccines and requirements to get one. I do think a covid vaccine passport will be set up at some point in order to travel internationally.

You can get an antibody test but it has to be pretty soon after the exposure and even then their accuracy is questionable

Anyway - I have had a similar experience. I will go to my grave believing that I had COVID last January, but as of now there is no way to tell definitively. But I have had 3 exposures to positives, including one that occurred in a small room over several hours 36 hours before the positive lost his sense of smell/tested positive. I've tested negative each time.

But I am taking the vaccine as soon as I can. I might have had it but I might just be lucky (so far). Not going to risk it.

Exact same situation here. Definitely still will get vaccinated as well.

At some point it may, just like so many other vaccines. Right now, there is no way to enforce it given the shortage of vaccines and requirements to get one. I do think a covid vaccine passport will be set up at some point in order to travel internationally.

I tend to agree there will be some restrictions at some point. But it's way too early for that right now since the vaccine is not yet available to everyone who wants it. In the meantime, countries will continue to restrict international travel is various ways and require masks and social distancing. I'm sure at some point it will be a required vaccine to attend school and possibly to be allowed into some countries, but I doubt that would happen until at least 2022, if not later.

I feel like the biggest question that isn't getting enough attention is whether people can still transmit the disease after getting vaccinated, or if it only wipes out the symptoms for the person that got the vaccine.

It's literally the most important question in the world right now, but no one even seems to want to venture a guess. I'm sure the vaccine providers have a good idea but probably don't want to risk being wrong.

The vaccinated are either going to be a barrier to the spread, or become unknowing superspreaders once they go out and start living their lives again. Everyone is kind of assuming its the former without any confirmation.

I feel like the biggest question that isn't getting enough attention is whether people can still transmit the disease after getting vaccinated, or if it only wipes out the symptoms for the person that got the vaccine.

It's literally the most important question in the world right now, but no one even seems to want to venture a guess. I'm sure the vaccine providers have a good idea but probably don't want to risk being wrong.

The vaccinated are either going to be a barrier to the spread, or become unknowing superspreaders once they go out and start living their lives again. Everyone is kind of assuming its the former without any confirmation.

I was told by people that have received the vaccine that they were told while being vaccinated that they needed to continue to mask because they could still harbor and spread the virus. Whether that is just to get them to wear a mask or not, I do not know, but it sounds like you can still be a carrier after being vaccinated. It would make sense that your body would need a window to produce the antibodies to fight off the virus if you got infected after being vaccinated.

Personally, I'm not changing my routine after I get the vaccine until at least a week after, and even then, still following recommendations for masking and distancing until the guidance for the public changes.

I was told by people that have received the vaccine that they were told while being vaccinated that they needed to continue to mask because they could still harbor and spread the virus. Whether that is just to get them to wear a mask or not, I do not know, but it sounds like you can still be a carrier after being vaccinated. It would make sense that your body would need a window to produce the antibodies to fight off the virus if you got infected after being vaccinated.
Yes I understand the delay for the vaccine to take effect for the people vaccinated. But whether they can still harbor the virus and spread to others after they produce the antibodies is the gigantic matzo ball hanging out there. If they can, then the whole concept of herd immunity is out the window.

Yes I understand the delay for the vaccine to take effect for the people vaccinated. But whether they can still harbor the virus and spread to others after they produce the antibodies is the gigantic matzo ball hanging out there. If they can, then the whole concept of herd immunity is out the window.

That's not only what I meant. Even once you are fully vaccinated, your body doesn't just stop inhaling the virus. When it does, there is a lag time between your body's (vaccination inspired) response which keeps you healthy. During that time, conceivably the virus could still replicate it and you could potentially be contagious. I would think that window would be pretty small and I think you would never be as fully contagious as someone who is truly sick, but I think there is some chance there.

This is the latest I can find on the transmission issue. "Encouraging" data but not concrete.
I'd like to think that theyre 99% sure it stops transmission and just don't want to risk being wrong. But would be nice to get some real numbers.

That's not only what I meant. Even once you are fully vaccinated, your body doesn't just stop inhaling the virus. When it does, there is a lag time between your body's (vaccination inspired) response which keeps you healthy. During that time, conceivably the virus could still replicate it and you could potentially be contagious. I would think that window would be pretty small and I think you would never be as fully contagious as someone who is truly sick, but I think there is some chance there.

The nurse who administered mine said, The research says it's basically the same as getting the flu shot. it will take a few weeks
for your body to build antibodies to make you immune. I could still get infected if I didn't social distance or wearing a mask. etc.
I'm due the 2nd dose on Feb 5th. I'm still following the protocol as if I've never received it. I won't feel really confidant until March.

This is the latest I can find on the transmission issue. "Encouraging" data but not concrete.
I'd like to think that theyre 99% sure it stops transmission and just don't want to risk being wrong. But would be nice to get some real numbers.

Saw this too - it is not proof positive but seems like that's where things are headed as more data arrives.

The rest of the subjects have developed more antibodies than patients who recovered from the disease.
“The results of the survey are consistent with Pfizer’s experiment and even exceeded expectations,” Director of the Infection Prevention and Control Unit at Sheba Medical Center and editor of the survey Prof. Gili Regev-Yohai said. "I expect that the survey results of the other employees participating in it will be similar. There is definitely reason for optimism."
Regev-Yohai also added that people who received both doses of the vaccine will most likely not become carriers of the virus and will not spread it further due to the high level of antibodies.

1) Delete Facebook.
2) Take the vaccine.
3) ??????
4) Profit.

Lol... There's no downside to taking the vaccine. Refusing the vaccine however doesn't affect just you, but the people you live with, work with and care about. YOU might be just fine if found positive for COVID, but your family may not be when/if they catch it from you. Every person that takes the vaccine is a step closer to herd immunity, which cannot be achieved without mass vaccinations.

NPR has a short article that directs you to the audio interviews about the vaccine. There is a lot more information available about the technology used in it's development. This technology in addition to the entire science community turning it's focus towards a vaccination plus us lucking out in this vaccine being easier to make than previous vaccines has led to a quick turnaround. It's fascinating stuff if your into that kind of thing. It's not widely available, hence the reason why Pfizer and Moderna are the only two that use mRNA technology for the vaccine. Here's a good (long) read about the mRNA technology, including it's origins in the 90's.
I would also like to add that so far all the data indicates that the same vaccine works for the new strains of COVID.

Well, at least you guys aren’t in the great state of California which is continually pausing to update a rollout that they paused to update a rollout. Good grief this state honestly couldn’t come up with a well thought out plan and execute it if someone gave it to them. Fresno county is now going through another week long pause to put together a new plan.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom