A vaccine question...... (1 Viewer)

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Granted, I am not a doctor.......just a citizen that is trying by best to stay informed by reading as much as I can on Covid, Covid's history and vaccine information.

While there seems to be information on all sides, the one thing I can wrap my head around......

It seems to be a standard universal acceptance are that vaccines take 10-15 years in labs and trials and errors on animals, studying the science and effects over that span.

However, this Covid -19 vaccine is available now.

I do have a job that allows me to get it.

As a healthy male, not overweight.....and haven't been sick through this past year.......I'm just so hesitant to take the vaccine.

However, if it's something I should take to prevent a future disease.....I'm for that. I get a flu shot each year.

I just can't get over the rushed feeling.

Curious to the thoughts on this board.

This vaccine is built on science that they have been working on for well over 10 years.

I am going to get it as soon as it is available to me.

Same here. I honsestly cant wait to get, along with my wife and kids and not have to continuously be overly-cautious with daily interactions ( which i have plenty of )

To the OP- as stated above, this isnt "new" science. mRNA science has been ongoing for years. This is legit. This is what science can bring about when collaboration and united efforts are maintained.

Ultimately it is your decision, but for the good of the folks around you, you may want to do your part in protecting them.

just a thought.

Same here. I honsestly cant wait to get, along with my wife and kids and not have to continuously be overly-cautious with daily interactions ( which i have plenty of )

To the OP- as stated above, this isnt "new" science. mRNA science has been ongoing for years. This is legit. This is what science can bring about when collaboration and united efforts are maintained.

Ultimately it is your decision, but for the good of the folks around you, you may want to do your part in protecting them.

just a thought.

I think this is all correct. But, I'll add that the technology for developing vaccines has come a long way in the last 10 or 15 years. Things like mRNA vaccines have made it possible to make vaccines much faster than was possible years ago.

In addition, drug companies have been working on vaccines for various corona viruses like SARS for over 10 years so they had a head start on how to make a vaccine for COVID-19 which is just another form of corona virus like SARS. In fact, I think they had already decided that the best place to attack this type of virus was at the spike protein. So, they had a head start.

Finally, I can't confirm this because I can't recall where I read it, but I think the COVID-19 vaccine has actually had bigger trials than any other previous vaccine before it's release. It's true that we are not certain regarding long term issues at this point, but all indications are that it won't be a problem. I personally think that the risk of long term issues is very small when compared to the danger of the virus on a personal level as well as the effect it has on our economy.

Granted, I am not a doctor.......just a citizen that is trying by best to stay informed by reading as much as I can on Covid, Covid's history and vaccine information.

While there seems to be information on all sides, the one thing I can wrap my head around......

It seems to be a standard universal acceptance are that vaccines take 10-15 years in labs and trials and errors on animals, studying the science and effects over that span.

As a healthy male, not overweight.....and haven't been sick through this past year.......I'm just so hesitant to take the vaccine.

However, if it's something I should take to prevent a future disease.....I'm for that. I get a flu shot each year.

Think of it this way - we used to go to into space on a Saturn rocket that was only usable one time and fell in stages back to Earth.

Now SpaceX sends rockets into space and lands them back safely on a drone ship.

Technology improves.

I'm 58 and will never forget what my HS biology said 40 years ago. The amount of scientific knowledge doubles every 5 years.
The Genome of the corona virus has been mapped since 2004. Phizer and Moderna had a 16 year head start. They weren't
starting from scratch

1) Delete Facebook.
2) Take the vaccine.
3) ??????
4) Profit.

Lol... There's no downside to taking the vaccine. Refusing the vaccine however doesn't affect just you, but the people you live with, work with and care about. YOU might be just fine if found positive for COVID, but your family may not be when/if they catch it from you. Every person that takes the vaccine is a step closer to herd immunity, which cannot be achieved without mass vaccinations.

NPR has a short article that directs you to the audio interviews about the vaccine. There is a lot more information available about the technology used in it's development. This technology in addition to the entire science community turning it's focus towards a vaccination plus us lucking out in this vaccine being easier to make than previous vaccines has led to a quick turnaround. It's fascinating stuff if your into that kind of thing. It's not widely available, hence the reason why Pfizer and Moderna are the only two that use mRNA technology for the vaccine. Here's a good (long) read about the mRNA technology, including it's origins in the 90's.

I think this is all correct. But, I'll add that the technology for developing vaccines has come a long way in the last 10 or 15 years. Things like mRNA vaccines have made it possible to make vaccines much faster than was possible years ago.

In addition, drug companies have been working on vaccines for various corona viruses like SARS for over 10 years so they had a head start on how to make a vaccine for COVID-19 which is just another form of corona virus like SARS. In fact, I think they had already decided that the best place to attack this type of virus was at the spike protein. So, they had a head start.

Finally, I can't confirm this because I can't recall where I read it, but I think the COVID-19 vaccine has actually had bigger trials than any other previous vaccine before it's release. It's true that we are not certain regarding long term issues at this point, but all indications are that it won't be a problem. I personally think that the risk of long term issues is very small when compared to the danger of the virus on a personal level as well as the effect it has on our economy.

i turn 50 this year. long term effects dont really factor in for me at this point lolol

I'm repeating a lot of what's already been said but:

1) These vaccines were developed quickly but the underlying science and technology has been developed over the last 20+ years.

2) We mapped the typical coronavirus genome 15+ years ago.

3) There's very little reason to expect long term effects from an mRNA vaccine:

mRNA is an instruction set for your cells to start producing something, in this case a protein that the virus uses to infiltrate your cells. This will trigger your immune system to produce antibodies so that if you are infected with the actual virus, your body already knows how to deal with it. This is why you may feel sick for a day or two after getting vaccinated. That means it's working.

Once your cells have received those instructions, your body will very quickly dispose of the vaccine via secretions. By very quickly I mean hours or days at most. There's no reason for your body to keep the mRNA around after your cells have processed the instructions it carries. All that will be left are the antibodies waiting for if/when you become infected.

I have not yet had the opportunity to take the vaccine. Though I have been exposed to it, I have not contracted it. I've had both the antigen and covid virus test. The fist time that I was exposed was when my brother supposedly at his most contagious (2-3 days before he had symptoms). I quarantined and worked for home for 2 weeks.
The 2nd time that I was exposed was when my wife contracted it. My thought at the time was to go ahead and "get it over with" so that I would have it, too. I continued to sleep with my wife and not change anything.
Is there any evidence that some people are "immune"?

I have not yet had the opportunity to take the vaccine. Though I have been exposed to it, I have not contracted it. I've had both the antigen and covid virus test. The fist time that I was exposed was when my brother supposedly at his most contagious (2-3 days before he had symptoms). I quarantined and worked for home for 2 weeks.
The 2nd time that I was exposed was when my wife contracted it. My thought at the time was to go ahead and "get it over with" so that I would have it, too. I continued to sleep with my wife and not change anything.
Is there any evidence that some people are "immune"?

With it being a novel virus it's a near certainty that no one is naturally immune.

With it being a novel virus it's a near certainty that no one is naturally immune.
There was some discussion in scientific circles about the possibility that some people are less impacted by the Covid-19 virus because at some point in the past they had fought off a virus similar enough to give them good antibody response.

I lost track of that and it was all very preliminary so I don't know if peer review supported or disproved.

There was some discussion in scientific circles about the possibility that some people are less impacted by the Covid-19 virus because at some point in the past they had fought off a virus similar enough to give them good antibody response.

I lost track of that and it was all very preliminary so I don't know if peer review supported or disproved.

I haven't seen anything like that so I can't comment, not that I'm in any way an expert. I do know the belief has been that viral load/exposure is the best indicator for infection/disease, so if @UK SAINTS wife wasn't particularly sick he may not have been exposed to a high enough viral load to get sick himself.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom