A very old Raiders game (1 Viewer)

SaintNashville

Saints Fan 4 Life
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone remember the game... Years ago, must have been in the 70's. The Saints were beating the Raiders 28-0 at half time. They came back to beat us. I believe ole Snake Stabler was the QB and I also think it was a Monday night game. I'm hoping for a slightly better outcome this Sunday!

I remember that game like it was yesterday. I was the only person in my house still watching at the end. I was just a kid. Cliff Branch stepped out of bounds on the winning TD. It didn't get called. I still haven't gotten over it.

It was 1979, score 42-35 and Stabler was the Raiders QB. Saints are 6-5-1 lifetime against the Raiders winning the last three meetings. We have a good chance to win this Sunday. :17:

um yes ... still a nightmare to me ... Howard Cosell was on the call if I remember correctly and I believe he swore then that the Saints would never be on Monday night again ... which was the case until many years later ...

That full game was on youtube a few years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone remember the game... Years ago, must have been in the 70's. The Saints were beating the Raiders 28-0 at half time. They came back to beat us. I believe ole Snake Stabler was the QB and I also think it was a Monday night game. I'm hoping for a slightly better outcome this Sunday!

It was 28-14. Saints made it 35-14 in 3rd Q. I think it was the first Monday night game in the Dome, maybe even the first for the Saints.

um yes ... still a nightmare to me ... Howard Cosell was on the call if I remember correctly and I believe he swore then that the Saints would never be on Monday night again ... which was the case until many years later ...

Kudos on the Cosell reference, but the team was indeed on MNF the very next year (the 1-win season) and then once each in '83 and '84.

But the Raider loss in '79 was once of two gut-buster losses that kept us out the playoffs, the other being the opener at home vs. Atlanta. I love watching old games in the offseason, but I refuse to watch the second half of either game. I was just four years old and have no recollection of that season, but it's still too painful!

I was there. It's one of many (disappointments) that stick out from the early days of the Superdome. The younger generation of fans have no idea what we went through back then. Our troubles today are pale in comparison.

I was there. It's one of many (disappointments) that stick out from the early days of the Superdome. The younger generation of fans have no idea what we went through back then. Our troubles today are pale in comparison.

1000x this!! Man those were rough times. Wasn't at the MNF game but was there for the opener against the Clowns.

___
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/g1lNo6kuOB4" allowfullscreen="" height="315" width="560" frameborder="0"></iframe>
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oshwWBS3290" allowfullscreen="" height="315" width="560" frameborder="0"></iframe>

It's a shame that we couldn't have held on in that game. We would have finished the season 9-7 and made the playoffs. Sad to think it would be another eight seasons before we made the playoffs.

First game I ever went to and it cemented my love for the saints.

I've shared this story before...house around the corner from mine caught fire. As a 12 year old, I went to go watch a Corvette melt in the garage at halftime. Came back and said "what happened?"

It is scared in my memory forever....We looked incredible the first half, and absolutely lost in the second half.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom