AAF skybox ref. NFL needs it (1 Viewer)

Bartyboy

60's Saints fan
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm very impressed with the AAF sky box ref.
There is no reason the NFL doesn't adopt it.
I have started tweeting the members of the competition committee.
The compitition committee needs to be swarmed with tweets and actual letters.
If they don't do it I don't know what to think.
Can we as a group start hammering them?

I agree, but it isn't enough.

They are using him to verify or overturn challenges or penalties. What they REALLY need is the ability to metaphorically throw a flag themselves on an obvious no-call.

What they are doing in the AAF is great, and certainly an improvement, but it would not have fixed what happened to us in the NFCCG.

They are using him to verify or overturn challenges or penalties. What they REALLY need is the ability to metaphorically throw a flag themselves on an obvious no-call.

What they are doing in the AAF is great, and certainly an improvement, but it would not have fixed what happened to us in the NFCCG.

^^This.

Said it before in here many times. What seems to separate today's refs from ones I watched growing up is the apparent control yesterday's refs had. There was no deferring to technology or indecision on most calls like you see today. Calls were even stated to the crowd more authoritatively than today, where the ref is almost guessing....like someone not sure of their answer on Jeopardy. Or, like a kid in school who's been called on by the teacher but really didn't study enough to know the answer.

I'm very impressed with the AAF sky box ref.
There is no reason the NFL doesn't adopt it.
I have started tweeting the members of the competition committee.
The compitition committee needs to be swarmed with tweets and actual letters.
If they don't do it I don't know what to think.
Can we as a group start hammering them?

There's no "good" reason; we've heard plenty of bloviating from the league and Goodell around the Super Bowl about why they "can't" do such things.

It's this resistance that makes it much harder for me to believe they can get something implemented that would have helped fix the NFCCG fiasco within the next few years. I just don't see it, barring overwhelming pressure from the owners (let me guess how many are currently ready to make it #1 on the list on of things to address at the first owners meeting: maybe a handful, if that)

I didnt catch any of the games this weekend, but last week there was a game where they did just that. I believe it was AZ/SLC. A defender had a free run at the QB, dont remember if it was a sack or hurry, but they lined up for the next play and the ref stopped the game and announced that "after consultation with the sky judge" there was a penalty on the defense for Illegal formation. I put that one bit in quotes because that was the exact phrase he used, and it was the first I had heard it called.

Few thoughts on this:

1. It's very coinky-dinky that the AAF suddenly has this sky judge, immediately following the worst call/no-call in NFL history.

2. If a sky judge can over-rule a penalty, that's great. If the sky judge can't throw a flag, having one wouldn't have helped us anyway.

3. If the conspiracy theorist are correct, and the refs are a tool for the league to achieve certain game situations and/or results, then creating a sky judge gives them even more power to do so. More control of the game.

4. If the conspiracy theorist are wrong, and everything is on the up and up... And the sky judge can both overturn BS penalties, and call flagrant fouls that were missed on the field, then it could work.

5. If the sky judge's responsibilities and authority are vague and limited, then we'd simply have more of what we already have.

So I don't know if I would like the NFL to adopt the sky judge thing. I'd have to read the fine print first.

The sky judge in the AAF can call down a penalty to the head field ref even if a flag wasn’t originally thrown on the play.

What I really like about it is that the ref talks through why a call is made.
Transparency is the key.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom