AAFL All But Dead (1 Viewer)

QBall13

Beignets
Reaction score
I know there were a few people here, myself included, that were looking forward to this new league. (Mods, if I put this in the wrong board then I apologize.)

http://news.jacksonville.com/justin/2008/03/06/all-american-football-league-expected-to-fold-2/

The All-American Football League is expected to announce Thursday that it will not play its inaugural season, according to a source familiar with the situation.

The source, who requested anonymity because the person didn’t have authorization to make the announcement, said late Wednesday night that financial issues have saddled some of the teams in the six-team league. The league, which targeted players who are college graduates, was supposed to begin play April 19 with teams in Florida, Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee, Texas and Michigan.

I was really looking forward to this interesting concept.
I feel sorry for the commisioner of the league, he had been working on the idea for over 20 years. He'll probably be really annoyed

So it's not dead YET. It says they are looking for a new majority OWNER. In other words, they are not considering selling franchises to stockholders. That's a problem right there.

Oh, and they have no TV contract yet. Really big problem there. I can't think that is helping any potential sponsorships.

Lesser details: No alcohol sales in several venues translates to HUGE losses in revenues.

This whole thing started out as an idea (at least in public) two or three years ago, and I would check on information from time to time via the internet. You couldn't get any details until the last nine months. It seems like it was being rushed to completion, and now it's starting to show. It's not hard to believe that the decision making was so indecisive considering many of these guys are the reason we can't get a playoff in Division-1A college football.

If they don't get their ducks in a row before they start, it might not last as long as the XFL (i.e.: Incomplete season).

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom