Aaron Glenn (1 Viewer)

Never have I understood, how as a CB, you are never taught to use your body to an advantage on a WR, to feel for where the WR is, instead of trying to shadow the WR and thus reacting to when the ball lands in the WR’s hands? And why is it, none of our CB’s are taught, read the WR’s eyes and head movement, to help understand when the ball is on its descent. Then look back for the ball; it’s coming! Instead they just keep their back to the LOS and react after the ball is in the hands of the WR.
There are a couple of things that really bother me when I watch our DBs. They rarely challenge receivers on their release. Usually they are playing 5-10 yards off, even when it is only 5 to go for a first.
They are always letting the receivers get behind them and they end up in “chase” mode. Which means they can’t look back for the ball and often get called for the PI because they have no idea where the ball is and just run into the receiver.
This ties in with the last point, they never look back fro the ball. How many under thrown balls have we seen this year that were easy picks if the DB just turned around.

If the issue is scheme and players being confused on assignments, then the Defensives Leaders/Veterans need to step up and correct this issue with the Coaches. I understand you can't simply run a Man-Man or Zone 100% of the time, but you can't take players that are great in one aspect and horrible in another and expect them to do well if you don't give them help. It seems like our DB's are better in man coverage with safety help over the top. They line up 1 on 1 and run with their man and they usually do well. IMO the issue is usually in Zones where players pass a receiver off to another player and have to trust that player is where he is supposed to be and a lot of the times they are not.

Like on the Long pass, it's hard to tell if Robinson bit on a stutter step and got burnt or if he was playing a zone and passed the WR off to a safety who wasn't where he was supposed to be and then had to chase the WR himself. This is where Veteran Leaders like Lattimore, MJ, JJ need to step up and bring the players and Coaches in and say "this isn't working, what can we do to fix it!" I know a lot of Coaches don't like to be told how to Coach, but when you bring in Pro Bowl Players who regress in your system, maybe you should sit down and talk to those players about what they were doing in the previous system that led to them being great. That's the true value of a Coach, someone who can sit back and evaluate their schemes and ADJUST THE SCHEME TO THEIR PLAYERS STRENGTHS! You wouldn't take Deion Sanders and Derrel Revis and put them in a Zone Scheme.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom