ABC news: NFL plan for teams to have some fans in stands (1 Viewer)

I think many of you are missing that we're not talking about 70,000 fans here - it would be a fraction of that. Seems manageable to me, and again - better than nothing.
Unrealistic. As someone mentioned, are they going to schedule bathroom breaks to maintain distancing? Would love to see some workable solution, but would be difficult.

Unrealistic. As someone mentioned, are they going to schedule bathroom breaks to maintain distancing? Would love to see some workable solution, but would be difficult.

They can easily mark off every other urinal and sink. I don't see the problem.

Yeah, they obviously have to do due diligence and think about every possible solution. When you're dealing with this amount of money, you have to. But I don't see any way to enforce the distancing 100% of the time.

Think of what gameday is like:

- The huge throng of people surging to the Dome from every direction. Walking down Poydras in crowds of 10-15 people wide, cramming into the bars, bunching up at crosswalks. Are they going to put cones and police tape on every street in a half-mile radius?
- Cramming into the lines to get into Champion Square. Then in Champion Square, up the steps, around the Dome
- The jam-packed concourses before the game
- The halftime rush for the bathrooms
- And then everything in reverse after the game.

There's no way you can police that many people for that amount of time and distance.

The shield is not going to risk the backlash if folks start getting sick and blaming it on the NFL. No way.

There will be a full schedule this year. But I don't see fans being there in person. Atlanta won't notice a difference.

That doesn't make sense. It's gonna be all or nothing.

All fans without a forceful mask restriction, because they can't police 70,000 fans to wear a mask during a game or no fans at all.

Logistical nightmare, keep trying
i feel that's what all of this 'open up' mess is
mostly just an effort to show that you are trying bc people are getting frustrated being shut-in
so 'leaders' are going 'hey we're planning on doing this opening thing of X date'
all the while knowing there's like a 85% chance they'll have to walk it back

crazy bad policy, but makes sense politically

Everybody crowded in the tunnels, concession stand lines, and bathroom lines. Lets add in the staff and police to enforce all this. No way can you maintain social distancing.

They can easily mark off every other urinal and sink. I don't see the problem.
What about where there are no urinals (troughs instead) and the lines that already extend into the walkways? Can it be done? Maybe. Realistically done? doubtful.

i feel that's what all of this 'open up' mess is
mostly just an effort to show that you are trying bc people are getting frustrated being shut-in
so 'leaders' are going 'hey we're planning on doing this opening thing of X date'
all the while knowing there's like a 85% chance they'll have to walk it back

crazy bad policy, but makes sense politically
I think the bulk of what's being said right now is for political and financial reasons to project confidence. The reality is daunting but compromises will be made eventually. The main problem with the team sports, in my opinion, is the number of support people (equipment people, trainers, video, etc.) you have to account for that would have to be put in a theoretical bubble. I think the idea of the NBA finishing up at Disney is a decent idea but teams and networks need to decide what is the minimum number of people you need to operate for a month in a bubble. You also have Korean baseball league that is about to start.

As others have said, good luck enforcing the orchestrated entrances and exits. And how the heck are you going to manage the halftime-rush to the restrooms? This will be especially challenging in the dome with its narrow concourses and tight restrooms.

Just doesn't seem possible to me.

And for the concession stand rush? Good luck.

Yeah, they obviously have to do due diligence and think about every possible solution. When you're dealing with this amount of money, you have to. But I don't see any way to enforce the distancing 100% of the time.

Think of what gameday is like:

- The huge throng of people surging to the Dome from every direction. Walking down Poydras in crowds of 10-15 people wide, cramming into the bars, bunching up at crosswalks. Are they going to put cones and police tape on every street in a half-mile radius?
- Cramming into the lines to get into Champion Square. Then in Champion Square, up the steps, around the Dome
- The jam-packed concourses before the game
- The halftime rush for the bathrooms
- And then everything in reverse after the game.

There's no way you can police that many people for that amount of time and distance.

The shield is not going to risk the backlash if folks start getting sick and blaming it on the NFL. No way.

There will be a full schedule this year. But I don't see fans being there in person. Atlanta won't notice a difference.
I disagree, on the Atlanta part! They will notice an increase in attendance in Atlanta, if the NFL limits the crowd to say 15,000/game. But it would be a stretch for 15,000 Falcons fans to show up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom