Abortions Are At Their Lowest Point In 45 Years Yet Most Republicans Want To Eliminate The Cause Of The Drop (1 Viewer)

Zztop

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
For all of the debate surrounding abortion from both sides of the aisle, two things have been made abundantly clear:

1. Abortion rates have been declining for years
  2. Mainly thanks to birth control
Taking out the politics of whether or not a woman should have a choice about her own body, the easiest way to prevent an abortion is to prevent the pregnancy from happening in the first place.

In 2014, the abortion rate in the U.S. reached 14.6/1000 women, according to the Guttmacher Institute, below the 1973 Roe v Wade rate of 16.3/1000 women and well below the peak of 29.3/1000 women set in 1981. It just so happens that as access to birth control and information about it becomes easier to obtain, abortion rates go down.

Already in the new session of Congress, a House bill has been introduced that would defund Planned Parenthood, one of the largest distributors of free and low-cost birth control in the nation.

Also see: Giving Access to Free and Low-Cost Birth Control Saves the U.S. Government at Least $17 billion a Year

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Because there are a lot of willfully uninformed people in this country, and unfortunately a lot of those same willfully uninformed people are "Christians" with a lot of non-common-sensical attitudes about sex, particularly around the abortion issue.

Whereas I have read the Gospels, and there is very little if anything in there about preventing conception in the first place.

And don't get me started on the Catholic Church's willingness to butt into everything except pedophile priests.

Nolaboy1970

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
For all of the debate surrounding abortion from both sides of the aisle, two things have been made abundantly clear:

1. Abortion rates have been declining for years
  2. Mainly thanks to birth control
Taking out the politics of whether or not a woman should have a choice about her own body, the easiest way to prevent an abortion is to prevent the pregnancy from happening in the first place.

In 2014, the abortion rate in the U.S. reached 14.6/1000 women, according to the Guttmacher Institute, below the 1973 Roe v Wade rate of 16.3/1000 women and well below the peak of 29.3/1000 women set in 1981. It just so happens that as access to birth control and information about it becomes easier to obtain, abortion rates go down.

Already in the new session of Congress, a House bill has been introduced that would defund Planned Parenthood, one of the largest distributors of free and low-cost birth control in the nation.

Also see: Giving Access to Free and Low-Cost Birth Control Saves the U.S. Government at Least $17 billion a Year
You are looking at this from the wrong angle.
Let me say, you are intermingling two different issues: Abortion and alternative forms of birth control.
This isn't about providing free and low cost birth control (i.e. Pills, devices, and education).

This has everything to do with government funding abortions. This is about speaking up for millions of innocent children who didn't choose to be conceived and now have to suffer the consequences for their parents irresponsibility. This about speaking up for those who don't yet have a voice.
Personally, I see that as valiant and don't understand the criticism.

Also, to the one making a claim that "Christians are willfully uniformed people", could you please provide some data/sources to back your claim?

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Let me say, you are intermingling two different issues: Abortion and birth control.
This isn't about providing free and low cost birth control.

This has everything to do with government funding abortions. This is about speaking up for millions of innocent children who didn't choose to be conceived and now have to suffer the consequences for their parents irresponsibility. This about speaking up for those who don't yet have a voice.

Also, to the one making a claim that "Christians are willfully uniformed people", could you please provide some data/sources to back your claim?
No, you are looking at it from the wrong angle. The OP's point is that Planned Parenthood, which cannot and does not use any federal funds to promote abortion, dispenses a tremendous amount of birth control to people in need, resulting in a substantial decrease in unwanted pregnancies, which in turn reduces the number of abortions.

Second, the "willfully uninformed" comment was mine, and I didn't claim that Christians are willfully uninformed. For instance, I'm a Christian, and I may be a fool, but not for lack of trying to learn.

What I did say was that there are a lot of willfully uninformed people in this country, and a lot of those are "Christians", which I put in quotes, as I find their membership more nominal and self-identified, as opposed to those putting His guidance into practice across the board.

I don't have a source for it, but I bet someone could dig up some data point about how many people rely on a single or substantially single source of media for the vast bulk of their new information, or none at all.

You may now go back to your regularly scheduled crusading.

not2rich

NO State of Mind
Reaction score
Let me say, you are intermingling two different issues: Abortion and alternative forms of birth control.
This isn't about providing free and low cost birth control (i.e. Pills, devices, and education).

But the Federal government doesn't fund abortions.

Planned Parenthood’s 2008-2009 annual report states that it received $363.2 million in "Government Grants and Contracts." (See page 29.) That’s about one-third of its total revenues for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2009.

However, not all of that money is from the federal government. Planned Parenthood’s government funding comes from two sources: the Title X Family Planning Program and Medicaid. About $70 million is Title X funding, Planned Parenthood spokesman Tait Sye told us. The rest — about $293 million — is Medicaid funding, which includes both federal and state money.

But Planned Parenthood cannot use the money it receives from the federal government for abortions anyway. According to the Department of Health and Human Service’s website, "by law, Title X funds may not be used in programs where abortion is a method of family planning." Medicaid funding is restricted by the Hyde Amendment to only abortion cases involving rape, incest or endangerment to the life of the mother. Some states use their own funds under Medicaid to go beyond that. Seventeen states and, until recently, the District of Columbia pay for "medically necessary" abortions, according to the Guttmacher Institute. The federal budget deal now bans Washington, D.C., from using its funds to pay for abortions.

Planned Parenthood
If you're behind defunding Planned Parenthood in its entirety, although a very tiny percentage of its services include abortions which aren't federally funded anyway, who is looking at this from the wrong angle and intermingling different issues?

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
This has everything to do with government funding abortions. This is about speaking up for millions of innocent children who didn't choose to be conceived and now have to suffer the consequences for their parents irresponsibility.

Do you think that we should provide free food, clothing, shelter, health care, and college for these poor children who didn't ask to be conceived?

They shouldn't suffer the consequences of their parents irresponsibility.

Reaction score

Do you support welfare programs?

Edit: Would you be okay with funding another group that provides everything Planned Parenthood does except for discussing or performing abortions?

Last edited:

mb504

Word.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Poor people shouldn't be *******. Alternatively, if they choose to do so, they should be forced by the rest of us to have babies that we won't pay for and hope to prevent from ******* in the future.

HJBandME

Pro-Bowler
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Misinformation about abortion and about Planned Parenthood is rampant. And perpetuated by our politicians, including Paul Ryan on 1/12/17! Since 1976, federal funds have not gone to abortion services.
Clinton, I believe, made it possible for cases of incest and rape.

OP

Zztop

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
If you're behind defunding Planned Parenthood in its entirety, although a very tiny percentage of its services include abortions which aren't federally funded anyway, who is looking at this from the wrong angle and intermingling different issues?
Yeah, this is the rallying cry that a lot of pro-lifers have taken up.
They only focus on one aspect, and something that is a small % of what planned parenthood actually offers.

Note to others, planned parenthood offers a significant list of services.

For example: While services vary depending on location, men can visit clinics for prostate, colon, and testicular cancer screenings, vasectomies, male infertility screenings, and sexual-health services, among other necessary health treatments. In 2014, Planned Parenthoods nationwide provided vasectomies to 3,445 men.

Nolaboy1970

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah, this is the rallying cry that a lot of pro-lifers have taken up.
They only focus on one aspect, and something that is a small % of what planned parenthood actually offers.

Note to others, planned parenthood offers a significant list of services.

For example: While services vary depending on location, men can visit clinics for prostate, colon, and testicular cancer screenings, vasectomies, male infertility screenings, and sexual-health services, among other necessary health treatments. In 2014, Planned Parenthoods nationwide provided vasectomies to 3,445 men.
Just wanted to prevent any misinformation about what services Planned Parenthood provides:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...t-are-both-misleading/?utm_term=.a086f473fba8

Also, whether you agree with this or not, simply by the fact that Planned P. is affiliated with abortions is reason enough to consider this cut in funding. I no way do I want my tax dollars going to any organization that provides abortions. And I don't care if the money is used to pay for abortions or not.
Abortion used in the case of an unwanted preganancy is a disgusting practice.

Suavecito8

Hispanic causing panic
Reaction score
Just wanted to prevent any misinformation about what services Planned Parenthood provides:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...t-are-both-misleading/?utm_term=.a086f473fba8

Also, whether you agree with this or not, simply by the fact that Planned P. is affiliated with abortions is reason enough to consider this cut in funding. I no way do I want my tax dollars going to any organization that provides abortions. And I don't care if the money is used to pay for abortions or not.
Abortion used in the case of an unwanted preganancy is a disgusting practice.
:idunno::idunno:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom