About this shutout (1 Viewer)

Vermont Saint

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Hey All,
Obviously, the Saints defense played extremely well, but I just wanted to point out that the Bills were lined up to kick a rather high percentage field goal when they ran that beautiful fake. I believe this is why, in his press conference today, Payton seemed to brush off the defensive shutout idea. I think he said something to the effect that "the defense wasn't on the field when they scored..." or somesuch.
Zero points or three points, it was quite a defensive effort anywhere and anytime, but particularly on the road, early in the season. I'm not sure there is an order of magnitude large enough to describe the improved level of play provided by Sharper in comparison to Kaesviharn. I think, in net terms, Sharper is the most important addition to the defensive roster. Any thoughts?

You are correct. It was still very impressive albeit not a shutout.

The D is still going to give up some points this year but they are solid and opportunistic enough to win games for us.

Imagine the pressure Drew must feel off of his shoulders today! Last year's team would have ended up in a shootout in this game with the offense playing catch up. Drew would have to be answering questions about why 27 points wasn't enough to win.

We didn't shut them out, but our Defense did. I Think it is a great victory for our defense that the 6th best offense in the league got held to a trick play to get just 7 points. I also agree that Sharper was a great pickup, but I really really REALLY like Jabari Greer, he is my pick for the best offseason aquisition. He is a shutdown cornor, nice guy, and a team player. Sharper and Jabari are the real frickin deal..

. . . I just wanted to point out that the Bills were lined up to kick a rather high percentage field goal . . .

Actually; this is not as plain as down and distance indicated. There was quite a bit of wind swirling around the stadium all day and, going in the same direction the previous quarter, we chose to simply go for it on 4th down rather than kick what would have been a 45 yd field goal. The Bills lined up for a 43 yarder that may not have been quite the "gimme" that it usually would be elsewhere.

I've witnessed far too many Saints kickers whiff on "rather high percentage field goals" to think that any FG is a given. Then, you have to factor in the wind that swirls in that stadium. That wind is the reason Payton decided to go for it on 4th and 2 as opposed to kicking in the 1st quarter. Of course, all of this is JMO.

Actually; this is not as plain as down and distance indicated. There was quite a bit of wind swirling around the stadium all day and, going in the same direction the previous quarter, we chose to simply go for it on 4th down rather than kick what would have been a 45 yd field goal. The Bills lined up for a 43 yarder that may not have been quite the "gimme" that it usually would be elsewhere.

Absolutely, it was not a gimme. Lindell is good, however. As it happens, he was the AFC special teams player of the week last week (vs. Tampa Bay). Indeed, there is no way to know the actual outcome of that attempt. Carney for a potentially wind affected 45 yd attempt? Not quite the same thing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom