AC Unit died (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
Yesterday our AC Unit went to live with Harambe, David Bowie, and the all of the angels. Today we had an AC guy come in and tell us that a new 4 ton unit (compressor, coil, fabrications, etc.) would cost us $3,800.

This is the first time we have ever had to replace an AC. In New Orleans, is this a good price? Any advice welcome.

its still summer time so prices will be higher now then during the winter i would suggest you call around and get some other estimates. but that sounds about right if you need a new unit .

Yesterday our AC Unit went to live with Harambe, David Bowie, and the all of the angels. Today we had an AC guy come in and tell us that a new 4 ton unit (compressor, coil, fabrications, etc.) would cost us $3,800.

This is the first time we have ever had to replace an AC. In New Orleans, is this a good price? Any advice welcome.

$3800????????? what seer?

Is that both inside ( air handler ) and outside ( compressor ) ?

if that's installed price... not too bad.

You can get a 2.5 ton for about $2000 but that's just the unit itself, no labor or other materials. I'd guess $2500-$2800 for a 4 ton, and a ballpark $1k labor and additional material estimation seems about right.

$3800????????? what seer?

Is that both inside ( air handler ) and outside ( compressor ) ?

I was assuming both Condensing unit (outside) and Evaporating unit (inside) - and assuming a decent seer too, along with assuming it is heat pump with electric reheat. AC Depot shows an Ameristar 4 ton with a 10kw heater for $2722 - not including install

So the repair man told my wife that it would cost $3,800 for the compressor, coil, fabrication, 10 yr warranty, and labor. He didn't mention anything about an air handler.

what seer?

that seems like a really reasonable price

I replaced a 5 ton in 2014 - 16 seer variable speed unit cost me $7000~ iirc maybe a bit more.

But that variable speed is great. reduced energy bill by almost 35%

just that alone. Well worth a bit more imo.

what seer?

that seems like a really reasonable price

I replaced a 5 ton in 2014 - 16 seer variable speed unit cost me $7000~ iirc maybe a bit more.

But that variable speed is great. reduced energy bill by almost 35%

just that alone. Well worth a bit more imo.

14 seers, 4 ton, outside (compressors, coils, retrofitting, 10 years transferable parts and labor warranty).

Have you gotten a second opinion? How old is the unit? Specifically what did the tech tell you wrong with the unit?

The reason I ask is that sometimes, actually often, the capacitor goes out which can be replaced easily for little money. I replaced mine that was only 5 years old for about $20. I quick search on youtube has how to's on the process of testing and replacing.

14 seers, 4 ton, outside (compressors, coils, retrofitting, 10 years transferable parts and labor warranty).

If your inside unit isn't 14 seer or completely compatible you're better off doing the whole system.

IF your old unit was 10 years old, it was likely an 8 seer or so which after 10 years was likely working at less than 50% rated efficiency. Going from a 10 yr old 8 to a brand new 14 will save you a good deal of money on power bills.

Unless the air handler is in very good condition and compatible completely I'd do both.

$3800 seems high for just the condenser.

My cost on a new 16 seer carrier infinity system at my house was 6500 which is a pretty good deal from a good friend. the 14 seer carrier was 4800.

Yeah, the system was over 10 years old, and our system in the house is outdated by quite a bit (both companies told us that).

So far we have quotes at $3800, $3500, and this latest one is $3300. I wish we could get it at less than $3k but that just might not be in the cards.

Yeah, the system was over 10 years old, and our system in the house is outdated by quite a bit (both companies told us that).

So far we have quotes at $3800, $3500, and this latest one is $3300. I wish we could get it at less than $3k but that just might not be in the cards.

is that only the outside unit?

Without doing any real math, I'd suggest you bite the bullet and do the whole system. Even if you only go with a generic 14 seer, you're likely to save over $100 per month in power usage. There are also likely tax breaks or refunds from your utility company for a heat pump.

If you power bill last month was more than $300 for a house with 4 tons, you're probably saving at least $75. If it was up near $400 it could be 150 or more.

I swapped out the smaller unit in my house and dropped my bill probably 75 per month. It's quite amazing how efficient the new systems are and if you're going to be in your house awhile, then opt up for the high seer 16 with variable speed fan and condenser.

Outside unit.

like DTC said...make sure your inside unit is compatible with outside.

If not, you can have issues.

Thats why we chose to do both at same time. Bit the bullet and just did it. It was eye popping ( cost ) at the time, but ive heard HORROR stories about upgrading outside unit and leaving old air handler inside.

I wanna say there was a post here a while back about that ....someones relative had this done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom