Accepting Facebook friend request from stranger lands Atlanta producer in jail (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Accepting Facebook friend request from stranger lands Atlanta pr - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

I'd argue that bad police work is actually what landed him in jail...

In 2014, the Richmond County sheriff was trying to track down four men who stole $80,000 worth of jewelry from a display case at Costco. Cunningham first caught the attention of investigators because he accepted a Facebook friend request from the wrong woman. She is a total stranger whom he has never met or spoken to before.

"I have fans, you know, people follow me. And I add people back. I have no issue with following people back," explained Cunningham.

Court records show Ronnica Westmoreland rented the getaway car used by criminals in the Costco robbery. When police later caught up with Westmoreland, they pressed her for names.

"She said, 'I loaned it to a guy named David.' David is a pretty common name so they went to her Facebook page, found everyone named David. They found a black man who wears a lot of jewelry. So they jumped to the conclusion, that must be him," said Cunningham's attorney, James Radford.

"If he was someone else, someone without family, without means, without a father who understood the process, that 10 days could have turned to 50. It could have turned to 100. That's how people get sucked into the system," said defense attorney Caleb Gross.

It's an example of just how much power a police officer has, and what the consequences can be if that power is misused.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom