Access 10 formatting questions (1 Viewer)

geauxboy

Boo Boo Bear
Reaction score
I am trying to build a basic tool to enter new messenger requests. Everything is going along pretty smooth, but I am having trouble with a few parts.

I have the following tables so far:
Employees
Addresses
Client Matter
Messenger Requests
POD Information
Messenger Services

I am building the form so that the client can make their own requests. My goal is to publish it on the intranet, but that's down the road a bit. I'll take any advice I can on it though.

I would like to make it as easy and user friendly as possible, so I would like to start off by having the client enter their attorney id number and that will auto populate their first, last and phone. I would like to also default the pickup location to be our office (or use a yes/no box above the pickup or deliver to section to auto populate our office address with their client info). I would like to be able to have it set up to filter everything according to that client's recent requests when they enter their attorney id (addresses and client matter). Both address and client matter are combo boxes based on their respective tables.

Question #1: Auto populating the remaining address information when using the combobox to select a company/residence. How do I get the form to auto populate the address fields based off the dropdown of saved company/residence?

Question #2: Using a yes/no box to save new addresses in the address table. I have the box setup and barely breathing, but how do I map it to the address table to auto update?

Unsure if it matters, but I built the form based off the Messenger Request table which basically contains all requests and info. Do I need to rebuild the "save address" section from the address table or will it work this way?

I am trying to build a basic tool to enter new messenger requests. Everything is going along pretty smooth, but I am having trouble with a few parts.

I have the following tables so far:
Employees
Addresses
Client Matter
Messenger Requests
POD Information
Messenger Services

I am building the form so that the client can make their own requests. My goal is to publish it on the intranet, but that's down the road a bit. I'll take any advice I can on it though.

I would like to make it as easy and user friendly as possible, so I would like to start off by having the client enter their attorney id number and that will auto populate their first, last and phone. I would like to also default the pickup location to be our office (or use a yes/no box above the pickup or deliver to section to auto populate our office address with their client info). I would like to be able to have it set up to filter everything according to that client's recent requests when they enter their attorney id (addresses and client matter). Both address and client matter are combo boxes based on their respective tables.

Question #1: Auto populating the remaining address information when using the combobox to select a company/residence. How do I get the form to auto populate the address fields based off the dropdown of saved company/residence?

Question #2: Using a yes/no box to save new addresses in the address table. I have the box setup and barely breathing, but how do I map it to the address table to auto update?

Unsure if it matters, but I built the form based off the Messenger Request table which basically contains all requests and info. Do I need to rebuild the "save address" section from the address table or will it work this way?

#1 - I think you want to use the combobox's "After Update" event. Then grab your recordset and assign the form fields. (I'm speaking generically, because I usually use SQL pass-through which makes the data-access portion a little more difficult).

#2 - You can use code to write the address info to the address table, but it might be easier to just use a subform so you can save info by just using a "Refresh" action.

#1 - I think you want to use the combobox's "After Update" event. Then grab your recordset and assign the form fields. (I'm speaking generically, because I usually use SQL pass-through which makes the data-access portion a little more difficult).

#2 - You can use code to write the address info to the address table, but it might be easier to just use a subform so you can save info by just using a "Refresh" action.

Thanks for the reply.

In the Properties of the combobox, I selected the Event tab. Correct? If so, is it a macro, expression or code builder? I am looking at the dropdown options in the macro, but I can't decipher what option it is.

I'm getting better by the day, but of course there is still much I don't know yet.

After thinking about it, if the fields on your form are bound (to fields in the table), just set your combobox after update code to be

form.recordsource = "select * from table where clientid = " & combobox.column (1)
form.refresh

Obviously, this assumes that you have two fields (presumably) in your combobox source (select name, id from client). You can set the width of the second column in the combobox to 0 so it's not visible, but you can still reference it.

After thinking about it, if the fields on your form are bound (to fields in the table), just set your combobox after update code to be

form.recordsource = "select * from table where clientid = " & combobox.column (1)
form.refresh

Obviously, this assumes that you have two fields (presumably) in your combobox source (select name, id from client). You can set the width of the second column in the combobox to 0 so it's not visible, but you can still reference it.

I started playing around with it last night, but I am apparently not getting something right. We'll talk about that later.

I'm hoping to get some help this morning about protecting the db. I am having a meeting with our main IT dept this morning in WV. I will need to be sure that when I post this to the network server that the IT person can't just save it for himself and present it to his boss as his. How do I go about this besides setting a password for the db? That won't help anyway because I will have to give him the password so he can look over my work during the meeting.

Mind you, this morning I am working on Access 07 and not 10.

If he is the admin and has passwords to everything, I would resort to the obvious - screenshots, cameraphone pics, and such. Remark your code in the modules. Set the properties of the database ("created by", "date", "version", etc) - not that he can't change all that stuff, but then you have him really going through work to make it his own.

And if that's something you have to worry about, you have my sympathies.

i just see access and think.. OMG get off that ....
use a free sql express db with web . format it with css.
Especially, when say maybe put on intranet....
One you dont' have to panic about will it work every time a new version comes out.

i just see access and think.. OMG get off that ....
use a free sql express db with web . format it with css.
Especially, when say maybe put on intranet....
One you dont' have to panic about will it work every time a new version comes out.

A lot of people think like you, but Access has been successful because it's got its own niche. Can it effectively store millions of records and support thousands of open queries? No. Is it ideal for distributed environments? No.

It is, however, a very nice fully-featured environment for small offices or departments with small needs and has WinForms and a sub-set of Crystal Reports (or an engine exactly like it) built-in.

Then, if so configured, the Database application can be executed like a desktop application using the forms you defined for CRUD operations on the underlying data, but the details and complexity of the data structure are completely abstracted from the user. It can generate reports as nice as you have talent to create and email or publish them...etc.

Name one software package that does this as easily and as well as Access.

SQL is next on my list. I want to relearn Access and then jump into SQL. I know it's a bit of a long road, but there are things that I need to learn from the very basics first. Besides that, the company I work for isn't very helpful, so I am forced to use what we have knowing that I will not receive much help. The original db is Access also.

I'm using lynda.com to relearn as it is. It's a good site, but only a few sql vids. That's another reason I am doing Access first. Get a dang good understanding of dbs in the first place, then jump into a more dynamic db like sql.

There are several versions on MS' site. Is SQL Server Express LocalDB (MSI installer) the right one to start with?

another good site for basics, for many technical related sql, php, python, java, c, is
Tutorials for Assembly, Operating System, JasperReports, JSON, iOS, Design Pattern, VB.Net, Computer Fundamentals, JSF, C Sharp, Flex, GWT, PL/SQL, Eclipse, JUnit, Pascal, Maven, Scala, Spring, Struts 2, HTML5, ANT, iBATIS, log4j, Hibernate, JSP, JAV

maybe for the start, use the pass-thru in access using sql express as the db, so it's much easier to transition, once learn how to manipulate the forms. just a suggestion.

another great resource, if you can get funding, www.books24x7.com for value it can't be beaten. access to all sorts of books for length of subscription.

If you build it in Access, you can easily transfer the table structure and the data to an SQL Server of some variety.

If you build it in Access, you can easily transfer the table structure and the data to an SQL Server of some variety.

Access used to have a "SQL upsizing tool" that worked very well, but I don't know if it's still there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom