Saints According to Frelund's numbers Lattimore a liability (2 Viewers)

jasonsw

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think her analysis is flawed. She said that Lattimore has given up a perfect passer rating on the times he has been targeted. She glosses over that Lattimore, typically covering the no. 1 receiver, has only been targeted 19 times this year and only given up 15 catches, i.e., 3 catches a game for 250 yards (50 yards a game). So on the other 35 pass plays each game, the qb is not throwing Lattimore's way, which is often (granted not always) due to good coverage. Using her exact stats, I could say that Lattimore is holding each team's no. 1 receiver to 3 catches (and 50 yards) a game.

I think her analysis is flawed. She said that Lattimore has given up a perfect passer rating on the times he has been targeted. She glosses over that Lattimore, typically covering the no. 1 receiver, has only been targeted 19 times this year and only given up 15 catches, i.e., 3 catches a game for 250 yards (50 yards a game). So on the other 35 pass plays each game, the qb is not throwing Lattimore's way, which is often (granted not always) due to good coverage. Using her exact stats, I could say that Lattimore is holding each team's no. 1 receiver to 3 catches (and 50 yards) a game.

That is a terrible take by you. 3 completions for 50 yards is a TON. DeAndre Hopkins who leads all receivers this season is averaging 12.8 yards per reception. Lattimore is allowing a horrendous 16.7 yards per reception.

Only FIVE players out of the TOP FIFTY receivers average more than 16.7 yards per reception.

When Lattimore is thrown at, he gives up huge plays. That is, by all meanings of the word, a liability.

Yeah no way to sugarcoat it. He just hasn't been great this season. But who has? The team has gotten off to a slow start but I'm expecting them to come out ready to go starting this week. They've had time to make adjustments. Hopefully they'll be healthy. No more excuses.

The good thing is that despite the slow start the team is still 3-2. We've seen slow starts under SP that resulted in the team trying to back to .500 all season.

That is a terrible take by you. 3 completions for 50 yards is a TON. DeAndre Hopkins who leads all receivers this season is averaging 12.8 yards per reception. Lattimore is allowing a horrendous 16.7 yards per reception.

Only FIVE players out of the TOP FIFTY receivers average more than 16.7 yards per reception.

When Lattimore is thrown at, he gives up huge plays. That is, by all meanings of the word, a liability.
That's a TON as you put it if he gives up a lot of receptions. If he only gives up 3 passes and 50 yards a game, that's no. 1 cb production.

As far as I'm concerned we don't need numbers to show what eyes can see. Lattimore has been equivalent to a roller coaster ride. We've seen him at his best and his worst. When he first got into the league he showed all the ability of a shut down corner. The beginning of the next season he showed signs of regression but in the Playoffs against the Eagles he had two game changing interceptions. Last season he was up and down. However, he seemed off in the playoff game against the Vikings. This season so far, here we go again. Lattimore starts the season shutting down his nemesis Mike Evans. After that we see him giving up big play after big play most recently against Mike Williams. But then he atones for it by making the game saving 4th down tackle on the same player.

Bottom line, Lattimore has to show who he is every week on every play. Is he a shutdown corner or is he a teaser? He's not going to go against a Julio Jones or Mike Evans every week, but whomever he does face he has to dominate that matchup to get the kind of money he's likely going to want from the Saints.

Any way you slice it he, to this point, has not been anywhere close to the level of play that we all expect of him.

we are hitting the regular yearly stretch where we start putting together some really good games. The next 3 weeks will be telling. He has no where to go but up. And all the ability in the world to do that

Lattimore is still well above average in Cover 1 when he can man up on the receiver. But the Saints have been playing a lot more Quarters (4 deep, 3 under zone) this season to allow the safeties to get more involved in the run game, and Lattimore is struggling in this coverage. If he can learn the nuances of his assignments in Quarters, he has the potential to return to greatness.

The eye test says Lattimore hasn't played well the last 4 games.

Using her exact stats, I could say that Lattimore is holding each team's no. 1 receiver to 3 catches (and 50 yards) a game.
How much is he giving up per game when you include his penalty yardage?

- Lattimore owns Mike Evans, We've long known this and it is very nice considering the Saints play Tampa twice every season.
- LV's leading pass catcher is their TE (Waller). Their WR group isn't anything to write home about.
- No Devante Adams for Green Bay but yet Rodgers targeted Lattimore 4 times yielding 4 completions for 83 yards and a TD.
- Keenan Allen didn't play the second half in week 5, but Mike Williams went on to have himself a day.

Last edited:
Lattimore is still well above average in Cover 1 when he can man up on the receiver. But the Saints have been playing a lot more Quarters (4 deep, 3 under zone) this season to allow the safeties to get more involved in the run game, and Lattimore is struggling in this coverage. If he can learn the nuances of his assignments in Quarters, he has the potential to return to greatness.

Or...hear me out...we can play coverage schemes in which our players excel. I've seen a lot of busted plays this year that feel flat out like the result of our players not feeling comfortable in their role.

We just have to keep encouraging him and motivate him to improve week to week. He’s the best we have and there is no magic replacement. Unless we look to the Jets for a trade. Seems like they’re willing to trade everyone for bargain prices.

Will agree that Lattimore needs to step up his game but let’s face it. As I always reiterate. A secondary is only as good as the pass rush.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom