According to Mike Martz the reason Brees struggled in the first half (2 Viewers)

brees is THE king of stepping up!
And I thought it was common knowledge. Baldy's "Playbook"d it. Martz needs a COME ON, MAN!

Haslett just said that the "Mad Genuis" can meet him outside in the alley. Neither one leaves until the other is on the ground.

Yeah, Brees is a regular Ben Roethlisburger out there. He never steps up in the pocket :Singe1301:
The Big Ben mention reminded me, I wish I could have interrupted Dilfer and Cowherd this morning when Dilfer said that Ben was definitely a top 3 QB -- I'd love to know which of Manning/Brady/Brees he thought was a notch below.

I watched The Coaches episode and I didn't hear Martz say that Brees didn't like to step up in the pocket. He did say that the game plan was to have the Dolphins ends squeeze the pocket so brees was forced to step up he also complimented Brees and the coaches on their ability to make half time adjustments. I think some people want to have something to be mad about even if the Saints are 6-0.. So stay mad Martz if you like!

The problem in the first half was that there was no where for Brees to step up into... the Dolphins were getting great penetration up the middle as well, which allowed their outside rushers to get to Brees, as he literally had no where to go. Some poor outside blocks from the tackles, and some poor blitz pick ups from our backs.

I watched The Coaches episode and I didn't hear Martz say that Brees didn't like to step up in the pocket. He did say that the game plan was to have the Dolphins ends squeeze the pocket so brees was forced to step up he also complimented Brees and the coaches on their ability to make half time adjustments. I think some people want to have something to be mad about even if the Saints are 6-0.. So stay mad Martz if you like!

He did say that Brees doesn't like to step up in the pocket and likes to move side to side in the pocket. He did compliment the halftime adjustments but the halftime adjustment he mentioned was Brees started stepping up in the pocket instead of moving side to side.

He said the reason Brees moved side to side was to find passing lanes and the reason he doesn't like to step up in the pocket is because height is an issue and attributed that to the batted balls.

He didn't say he learned how at halftime, that was me saying "like he learned how to step up at halftime and hadn't ever done it before".

The entire piece was Mike Martz talking out of his *** and it isn't like he couldn't have found a million things to break down with the Saints and Brees that actually makes sense.

The Big Ben mention reminded me, I wish I could have interrupted Dilfer and Cowherd this morning when Dilfer said that Ben was definitely a top 3 QB -- I'd love to know which of Manning/Brady/Brees he thought was a notch below.
100% guarantee it would be Brees, since he has consistently said his primary factor in ranking QB's is postseason success and Brees is the only one without a Super Bowl... so far.

Martz is an idiot. One of the few head coaches that figured he had to continue passing with a three tyouchdown lead in the second half, against 6 man secondaries; when he probably could have run all day with Marshall Faulk. Come to think of it, Tony Sparano did pretty much the same thing in the second half in Miami yesterday.

Maybe I'm just understanding it a little differently... to me... what he said was that MIA wanted to squeeze the edges to make Drew step up in in the pocket, where MIA's interior dline was getting pressure, and make him throw over the big guys. I mean it was working in the 1st half... hell he had about 4 balls batted/deflected.

Maybe I need to put on my B&G glasses? :shrug:

It didn't work in the 2nd half because there was no pressure inside, but MIA was getting after them in the 1st.

What? I've always thought Drew was one of, if not THE best QB when it come to stepping up in the pocket and throwing a very accurate ball. Just another example of how the word "genius" get's thrown around too much. Martz is no genius.

I thought that he was talking about side to side to find lanes and that they crashed the outside to prevent the same. Whatever.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom