According to NFL Total Access..... (1 Viewer)

Balmer is slowly turning into the DT from Michigan last year whose name slips me right now. He's big and ... well ... he's big.

I would go a step further and say Mock Drafts are a complete joke! All it takes is 1 franchise to have some player ranked way higher than everyone else and it will throw the entire draft into a tailspin that leaves everyone scratching their heads.

I know it's a down time and this is all we have to talk about, but anyone who says "X" player will not be at spot "Z" has never watched an NFL draft in their entire life. It is the ultimate reality TV show, which is what makes it so fun to watch.....you have no idea what will come next and for that reason I was a bit disappointed they made the draft shorter. One of my favorite days of the year--sports-wise.

I remember a certain DT that was slotted to go in the top 10 and even in the top 5 last year that fell to Arizona's 2nd round pick.....yet someone can't fathom Dorsey or Ellis falling a couple spots behind where they are projected by quazi-experts....:dunno:

At our pick, #10, any person who has decared for the draft could be there when we pick. There is not one player this year that you can tell me has no chance to be there when we pick, especially before the combine.

This is why I hate this time of the year and love it at the same time, I hate this time of the year because this forum gets flooded with people who wanna predict the draft, make up there own REDICULOUS Mock Drafts so there isnt much real or realistic football talk going on (cause there is no football in the news) but on the other hands, its that time of the year again when the Combine and then the Draft is soon to approach, I honestly dont have a favorite player I really only gravitate to guys we can possibly or realistically get, everything else is just a waist of time to me.......then the draft comes....and like every Draft, it never plays out like it was predicted.

Maybe this draft will be different and we can get the player that we want.

Sedrick Ellis and Glen Dorsey are a dream.

I am tired of hearing people say this! Why? The front 7 DID A GOOD JOB STOPPING THE RUN. That is there job!! When it is 3rd and 15 and an offense is in max protect and the defense is not blitzing you need guys that can knock a ball down, and we don't have that as of right now. We need DEFENSIVE BACKS!!!!! WE HAVE 2 FORMER FIRST ROUNDERS ON THE DEFENSIVE LINE!!! Yes a good MLB will help but if we cannot get our Corners (mainly JD) to quit looking in the backfield (for no apparent reason, its 3rd and 15) and getting burned through the course of a year its time for some new ones. The only person we have that is a starter in our D-Backfield at the beginning of the year is Roman Harper. MM is going to be hurt and NOONE ELSE IN THE BACKFIELD WOULD START FOR A TEAM RUNNING OUR SCHEME!!

The front 7 has to be adept at stopping the run AND applying pressure to the QB. The Saints front 7 did an abysmal job at applying any kind of pressure to the QB, even with 6 and 7 man blitzes. The only times I recall the defensive backs getting burned really bad was when the QB had massive amounts of time to throw, because of lack of pressure.

I would think we would have all learned from watching the NY Giants to know that we need a formidable front 7. They don't have any superstar D-backs The defense needs to be built from the inside out, and that starts with the D-line. Getting Sedrick Ellis would give us a handful at DT that could eat up space, stop the run, and free up Will Smith and Charles Grant.

I don't see why it has to be one or the other. The Saints can draft both a defensive tackle AND a defensive back, but a defensive tackle needs to be drafted first, as the DT will bring about a bigger (and quicker) impact. Defensive backs are rarely ready to start their first year.

well not an official report, but something that made me wonder, they did a draft portion on the NFC South and they said that the Saints #1 priority is Cornerback (which I can see) but then went on to say that who the Saints are really hoping for is Sedrick Ellis, he said that he thinks that, thats who we are hoping for and would be the BPA if he fell to us...but Corner was are supposed "need" postion for the #10 spot.

I'd never take a corner with a top 10 pick unless he's the second coming of Champ Bailey...

If Ellis is there at 10 (I doubt he would be), it's a no brainer.

We can get corner help in FA, if we're agressive. There are a few good ones available - At least the first 6 FA CBs would be a huge upgrade over last year (minus MM, of course)

Ellis wont fall to #10

Just like there's no way Reggie Bush falls to #2? ?Or Brady Quinn out of the top 10? Stuff happens.

It's absolutely too early to make any kind of definitive statements. 2 months is a looooong time. Best thing for the Saints to do is to plan as if he will be there, and see how the next few weeks pans out. They can't just give up if that's the guy they want (and all indications say that Ellis is their man).

Balmer is slowly turning into the DT from Michigan last year whose name slips me right now. He's big and ... well ... he's big.

Thats Alan Branch....and he was very productive at Michigan, he got All American votes his last 2yrs there....I cant say the same for Balmer

I am tired of hearing people say this! Why? The front 7 DID A GOOD JOB STOPPING THE RUN. That is there job!! When it is 3rd and 15 and an offense is in max protect and the defense is not blitzing you need guys that can knock a ball down, and we don't have that as of right now. We need DEFENSIVE BACKS!!!!! WE HAVE 2 FORMER FIRST ROUNDERS ON THE DEFENSIVE LINE!!!

Did you miss the Super Bowl? For those who don't know, the Jersey GiAnts do not have stellar Pro-Bowl type corners. They have moderately decent corners. What they have is a defensive line that creates havoc in the opposition's passing game because they swarm to the QB so quickly. And yes, on 3rd and 15, THAT IS THEIR JOB.

The Saints DESPERATELY need a DT who can rush the passer, toss off blockers, and stomp on running backs. We don't have anyone like that and having someone (Dorsey or Ellis, even if we are dreaming that we can get them) would solve many of our corner issues. That's not to say we don't need to do something about the lack of talent back there, but solving the non-existant pass rush is half of that battle at least.

We need "solid" corners, we don't need super stars, as important as the corner back position is, you don't need stars at that position, but you cant have 'decent" guys there either, you "solid" guys, guys who do there job but have the natural talent to make a play on the ball...and in order for that to happen, you need a front seven that has the ability to rush from the edges and up the middle, and a linebacker corp that can blitz when its asked to and be solid in pass coverage....we don't need super stars at every spot to be good, we need to get players who can make plays....and the one's asking for all the money aren't the only ones that can do that....if you show the ability to get to the QB regardless of the round your chosen in or division you come from, the Saints need to seek these type of players out, our best defenders may come in the later rounds because they don't get real consideration because of the div they played in.

I really believe you can find a starter in every round (they may not start there first year) if you draft guys who strong points are weak points at the position on the team your trying to upgrade, no player comes into the league complete, your gonna have to teach somthings, it doesnt make that player not worth the selection, cause your drafting based on potential....immeidate impact is what you hope for, but its not guaranteed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom