According to WNSP (Mobile) Saints Going After Mike Wallace (1 Viewer)

Yeah, and Darelle Revis too :rolleyes:

Folks, the only people putting out "rumors" right now are agents. Teams are on lockdown, there is nothing leaking from Mickey Loomis' office.

Agents may have responded to feelers from teams, they may have some indication of what's going on. But they aren't honest brokers. They're trying to generate as big a market as possible. Increased demand drives up value. They aren't telling journalist things out of some profound sense of duty to the truth. They're saying things strategically to generate more money.

Its March in the offseason. This is a fan-forum thirsty for any droplet of news we can find.

I thought you guys would at least find this interesting.

Revis now Wallace. Please. Wallace is going to the Dolphins.

Morgan is plenty fast enough and cheap enough for what we need to keep defenses honest, Drew can't reach where Wallace is open.

He would actually be the perfect piece for our offense. He is the biggest deep threat in the NFL and with Sproles short and Graham, Colston and Moore intermediate almost impossible to defend.

However, we do not have the money and need some balance with a functional defense.

I am excited about the prospect of upgrading our WR core. They are a good group, but Drew makes them look better than they are.

I would like to acquire some guys who are stars when Drew leaves, and can make a QB look good. (Not including Wallace here)

As I am writing this, Saintly Mission, you have said quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read on SR.com. Drew can't reach Wallace down the field? Do you not realize most people in the league agree that Drew has THE best deep ball accuracy in the league?

I don't really want him. He doesn't offer a great skillset other than as a deep threat. He's also, not a very good teammate, a bad locker-room guy. That's not typically the type of player that Payton likes to go after.

This is in addition to the huge payday that he's looking for. I seriously doubt that anything come of this rumor.

Not true. Dude is a really good route runner too.

Wallace is great and could be better with Sean Payton, but he will require huge money, money I would rather spend on corners, OT's and Safeties

Would be nice to have but he is unnecessary especially with Toon, Givens, and Hakim with 4.3 speed waiting in the wings.

Brees was the biggest and obviously a unique situation, then Grubbs, then Sproles. Past that we traded for Shockey and Jeff Faine and that's really it. Then you're in David Thomas, Jonathon Goodwin, Mark Brunell territory.

Grubbs and Sproles were direct responses to high level losses (Nicks and Bush). Really only the Jeremy Shockey trade (and Brees to begin with) has been the only time Payton has looked outside for a clear roster upgrade on offense.

We haven't really ever brought-in the best free agent talents to the team. You named them all, pretty much, and even with Brees, there was no slam-dunk on him being what he is now. He was coming off injury, passed over on by Miami, and his original team had already drafted his replacement. Brees needed us as much as we needed him to be what he is now.

That said, with so many big names out there, I wouldn't poo-poo the possibility of us nabbing a talent that is head and shoulders above what we have on the team, as far as WRs, DL, DB goes. We are really in need of upgrades, and WR talent could actually help Brees stand above his peers for a few years.

Heck, Randy Moss came to NE at a time that he was still a monster, and helped them become undefeated in regular season, and just one 'fluky' ~ball stuck to helmet at last minute catch~ away from having a fully undefeated season.

We would have to work some money moves, but why not give Brees a Wallace gift, just to see what we can do with it? Some pay cuts will have to occur to make it happen, but that's what all teams are doing.

Don't mention Morgan, Toon, Givens, etc. as they are nowhere near the caliber of player Mike Wallace is. He can not only pop the lid off of a defense, but he can get you amazing YAC on slants, hitches, drags, screens, etc. This guy is an elite WR and a true #1 (something Drew Brees has NEVER had).

I would be esctatic if we got this guy.

Now when has the Saints ever pursued ANY big ticket offensive free agent? Think about it. Ben Grubbs might be the most they'll spend on a free agent.

We can find these guys in every nook and cranny of the country.

Does the name Drew Brees sound familiar to you?

Don't mention Morgan, Toon, Givens, etc. as they are nowhere near the caliber of player Mike Wallace is. He can not only pop the lid off of a defense, but he can get you amazing YAC on slants, hitches, drags, screens, etc. This guy is an elite WR and a true #1 (something Drew Brees has NEVER had).

I would be esctatic if we got this guy.

I'd be happy too but how realistic is any of this? We have limited options in FA and are coming off of yet another good year on offense and the worst in memory on defense.

As we've seen with Drew's huge contract, it's easy to make the first few years very cap-friendly, so of course it could happen with Wallace. I'd just prefer some FA help on D. So if we made a few moves on D + got Wallace, sweet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom