Adalius Thomas... (1 Viewer)

DownWithDisease

Very Banned
Reaction score
I just found out today that this guy is slated to become an UFA at season's end. He would be a HUGE addition to this defense , and the fact that he wouldn't be the "top" FA LB on the market might bode well for our chances at getting him. Lance Briggs is going to get the BIG $, and Cato June is regarded (in some circles) as a better FA LB than Thomas, but IMO, Thomas is the best of the bunch. The fact that he played his college ball at Southern Miss could also help our chances. He could come in and be the sideline to sideline MLB that we've all been hoping for.

Check this out from his player page, I thought it was pretty impressive...

"Thomas became the first ever player to play all 5 defensive positions (DE, OLB, MLB, Safety, and CB) in not one game, but three."

20805608.jpg

Somebody else is going to waaaaay overpay for this guy.

Can we please stop overhyping players from the Ravens defense?? Yes, as a unit they are very good, but individually on other teams they continue to prove that they are mediocre.

Gary Baxter -- The unknown stud CB went to the Browns and lit up the stat line with 8 total games and 43 tackles in two years.

Kemoeatu -- We were all worried when the Panthers signed this guy, and even more worried now that he has 17 tackles and 0 sacks.

Ed Hartwell -- Saints fans wanted him BAD and in his two years with the Falcons he has played a grand total of 7 games with a whopping 22 tackles.

Will Demps -- Averaging nearly 5 tackles a game, this guy is a force to be reckoned with and we really missed out on his 0 INT's and 0 sacks. Plus, he could have really helped out the city of New Orleans with his modelling career.

/sarcasm off.

The only decent FA to come out of Baltimore recently have been Chester Taylor and Dave Zastudil (a punter).

Somebody else is going to waaaaay overpay for this guy.

Another guy that will be overrated and overpaid because he reaped the benefits of playing next to Ray Lewis and behind Haloti Ngata.

See: Ed Hartwell

Edit: Oops, was beaten to it.

Free agency seems to be just as much of a crapshoot as the draft is. Football is a system game whether it is an offensive or defensive player. You can't be fooled by the good play of both Adalius Thomas and Lance Briggs. Look at the units those guys play on. If either would come here they would be the main guy and I don't know if they would be as successful. You may end up overpaying for them.

Thomas is a great player, period. He brings a lot of flexibility to a defense. I would not mind to get him. Although, I think the priority would be a MIKE for next season.

The only thing I disagree with DWD is that he would be looked after Briggs and June. To me, he can cover as well as these two. And he can play on both sides and Briggs and June won't. I won't be surprised if Thomas is the first signed and to a bigger contract.

Still, I think the saints will not be looking for any high-profile free agent next season. Too many signing bonuses will be given to players that are part of our team now.

with his attitude, he is no payton player

What attitude? Other than his agressiveness (which is an attitude that any decent defensive player has) I haven't heard of any issues with this guy...

Hartwell isn't overrated. He's been injured. He proved himself by stepping in and the Ravens defense not missing a beat because Ray Lewis was hurt. He is best in a 3-4 defense, too.

Yeah, I'm not sure where you got "the attitude" thing from. He's actually a pretty nice guy. Watched him terrorize offenses upclose while he was at Southern Miss. I had a class in grad school with him during the spring of his senior season. Sports Finance was the class and he was preparing for the draft. Most of the semester we discussed his contract with his agent and his draft possibilities. Needless to say, he did not go as high as we all thought he would and he did not finish the semester. But overall, he was a good guy in and out of the classroom, always respectful and approachable.

So from a quick google the only thing "attitude" related regarding Thomas was a "lax" attitude this past offseason that was challenged by defensive coaches. I'd say that's a worry no more. The guy comes from a stable home where his parents have been married for 31 years. He participates in several charitable organizations and is known as a "hustle"-type player that played his way up from special teams.

I just don't see the profile of a problem maker...

I am leery of the 2nd fiddle defensive player. We had one in Pat Swilling who was a stud for the saints with Ricky Jackson but he was a bust when he left. I think the coaching staff has to look at FA for their raw talent just as you would a draft prospect.

Thomas is a freak of nature, it's rare that someone his size can move like he does and cover well, his versatility in my mind makes him on of the best, if not the best, DEF free agents available, unless there is some great CB that I' forgetting will be a free agent; the ravens woud be fools not to resign him and we'd be lucky to have him, can he play MIKE consistently? i don't know, but i'd take him at a top 5 LB salary;

draft your offense (mostly); buy your defense (mostly)

go saints

I think people are mistaking him for Bart Scott and the rest of the Ravens thug squad.

That said, we already have a starting SLB although Thomas would probably be an upgrade. We need an MLB and probably a WLB.

Can we please stop overhyping players from the Ravens defense?? Yes, as a unit they are very good, but individually on other teams they continue to prove that they are mediocre.

Gary Baxter -- The unknown stud CB went to the Browns and lit up the stat line with 8 total games and 43 tackles in two years.

Kemoeatu -- We were all worried when the Panthers signed this guy, and even more worried now that he has 17 tackles and 0 sacks.

Ed Hartwell -- Saints fans wanted him BAD and in his two years with the Falcons he has played a grand total of 7 games with a whopping 22 tackles.

Will Demps -- Averaging nearly 5 tackles a game, this guy is a force to be reckoned with and we really missed out on his 0 INT's and 0 sacks. Plus, he could have really helped out the city of New Orleans with his modelling career.

/sarcasm off.

The only decent FA to come out of Baltimore recently have been Chester Taylor and Dave Zastudil (a punter).

You beat me to it... Ravens defensive players are "system" players no doubt... take them out of that scheme and they'll stink. The only guys that would excell out of that system are Ed Reed, Ray Ray, and Chris McAllister... who by the way are the heartbeat of that defense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom