Adam Ruins Everything on Football (1 Viewer)

I mean, this is all well known if you follow CTE. Concussions aren't the issue, sub-concussive trauma is. It isn't the big hits that leave guys looking glazed over that cause CTE, it's the run of the mill tackles, linemen smashing into each other, etc. that are the real culprit. The NFL just latches onto concussions because it provides the illusion that they're doing something.

I'm sure eliminating tackling from football and replacing it with two-hand touch will make NFL even more intimidating and popular with American sports fans. Some things can't be regulated out of the sport it's just the dangerous risks and the price one is prepared to pay participating in a violent sport. Football is a collision sport. Not a contact sport. By definition, they are very two different beasts.

Sun, they also want to give the illusion their solving it because of the major class-action lawsuits brought by families, relatives of deceased NFL players, or retired players who believe the NFL knowingly hid or denied the long-term side effects of CTE or traumatic brain injuries on NFL players for decades. There's a financial incentive to try and appear contrite or proactive in solving concussion-related symptoms.

I mean, this is all well known if you follow CTE. Concussions aren't the issue, sub-concussive trauma is. It isn't the big hits that leave guys looking glazed over that cause CTE, it's the run of the mill tackles, linemen smashing into each other, etc. that are the real culprit. The NFL just latches onto concussions because it provides the illusion that they're doing something.

Do you think that tackling and blocking should be removed from football?

Do you think that tackling and blocking should be removed from football?
I don't, if the league will agree to a comprehensive health care plan for players once they've retired, or will be open and up front with future players about the dangers inherent in the game. If the actual participants are making the conscious choice to degrade their future quality of life for money and fame, I think they should have that right. But they should either know the risks that they are incurring, or know that they will be taken care of on the other side.

I don't, if the league will agree to a comprehensive health care plan for players once they've retired, or will be open and up front with future players about the dangers inherent in the game. If the actual participants are making the conscious choice to degrade their future quality of life for money and fame, I think they should have that right. But they should either know the risks that they are incurring, or know that they will be taken care of on the other side.
agreed, if we let coal workers do that **** work, we can't really mandate that football players not make the choice they want
BUT
it has to be an informed choice starting from when they first put on a helmet (and maybe we can delay how early we let kids play tackle)
AND
we should make sure that kids/athletes feel like they have more than 1 option
AND
we should make sure they get the best treatment afterwards

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom