Adam Serwer @ Mother Jones: Obama Administration Says President Can Use Lethal Force Against Americans on US Soil (1 Viewer)

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
Source: Mother Jones

Yes, the president does have the authority to use military force against American citizens on US soil—but only in "an extraordinary circumstance," Attorney General Eric Holder said in a letter to Senator Rand Paul (R-Ky.) Tuesday.

"The U.S. Attorney General's refusal to rule out the possibility of drone strikes on American citizens and on American soil is more than frightening," Paul said Tuesday. "It is an affront the constitutional due process rights of all Americans."

Last month, Paul threatened to filibuster the nomination of John Brennan, Obama's pick to head the CIA, "until he answers the question of whether or not the President can kill American citizens through the drone strike program on U.S. soil." Tuesday, Brennan told Paul that "the agency I have been nominated to lead does not conduct lethal operations inside the United States—nor does it have any authority to do so." Brennan said that the Justice Department would answer Paul's question about whether Americans could be targeted for lethal strikes on US soil.

Holder's answer was more detailed, however, stating that under certain circumstances, the president would have the authority to order lethal attacks on American citizens. The two possible examples of such "extraordinary" circumstances were the attack on Pearl Harbor and the 9/11 terrorist attacks. An American president order the use of lethal military force inside the US is "entirely hypothetical, unlikely to occur, and one we hope no president will ever have to confront," Holder wrote.

Read more: Obama Administration Says President Can Use Lethal Force Against Americans on US Soil | Mother Jones

<HR SIZE=1 noShade>

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I can't see this going further than the last thread; I think both sides laid out pretty much everything there was to say.

JLaneSaints

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, if Dems do wrong, we need to stop talking about it, when Repubs do it, we can't bring it up enough.

Having said that, I can't get too upset directly at Obama. I can't say with a straight face that Bush and Cheney wouldn't be in the same place doing the same thing.

chad141fa

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Everyone needs to move along because this is negative towards the administration. Do not ask questions, we all no this is right wing craziness. Im sure the honorable Holder ment something else. The question was probably worded funny or misleading. This is all the bush administration s fault that caused us to be in this position. President Obama inherited this from him so it indirectly their fault. You are un wordly and untraveld , everyone is helpless and the top 1 percent wont alow me the american dream. Its your fault, not cause Im lazy, dress like a moron, and would be an embaressment to a company. My decisions or lack of plan and desire have no baring what so ever on my lot in life. Skrew all u conservative peoples.

Posted from Saintsreport.com App for Android

chad141fa

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
There you go intense, I saved you 8 pages of thread covering all the normal discourse.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, if Dems do wrong, we need to stop talking about it, when Repubs do it, we can't bring it up enough.

Having said that, I can't get too upset directly at Obama. I can't say with a straight face that Bush and Cheney wouldn't be in the same place doing the same thing.
Grab a clue. Wow. For you to insinuate I, of all the posters on this board, am saying it's a non-issue or don't talk about it, well, you're just a total moron.

There you go intense, I saved you 8 pages of thread covering all the normal discourse.
Try reading the original thread, which was far more than 8 pages, and though I disagreed with many, at least they were thoughtful or tried. Not a party-line-no-think-troll-post. You project that attitude onto others because it's your own. Do yourself a favor and read the first thread. It wasn't party line. Con posters were defending Obama, and I was appalled by him. Some of us mix our politics with actual thought.

chad141fa

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Galbreath34 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLaneSaints

Grab a clue. Wow. For you to insinuate I, of all the posters on this board, am saying it's a non-issue or don't talk about it, well, you're just a total moron.
I dont think he was aimed directly at you Gallbreath. I know I wasnt because I have seen you ask honest questions.

chad141fa

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
chad141fa said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galbreath34

Quote:

I dont think he was aimed directly at you Gallbreath. I know I wasnt because I have seen you ask honest questions.

Your first post was a pretty much this is done close the thread

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well, it's done by having a 150 post thread about 10 topics down on the board; the topic is an important one, but I think we just played out the news in this article with the last go round.

I just get a little edgy when sleepless, not that I'm the gentlest and most tolerant when well rested.

chad141fa

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Galbreath34 said:
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad141fa

Try reading the original thread, which was far more than 8 pages, and though I disagreed with many, at least they were thoughtful or tried. Not a party-line-no-think-troll-post. You project that attitude onto others because it's your own. Do yourself a favor and read the first thread. It wasn't party line. Con posters were defending Obama, and I was appalled by him. Some of us mix our politics with actual thought.
I base my views off of experience and we are run by idiots who are untouchable and unaffected by what they do. Continue to believe they have everyones best intrest. Yall are the ones that fail to see not me. what has any of them done for the betterment that wasnt filled w perks and a reason. These same people that parade around their support of us. Do you know when they come to talk with us for an hour take a bunch of pictures they disarm us. .First they took our weapons, but word got out and it was bad pub, so now just the ammo. . No Gal, I am angry in both parties and I am tired, we are tired, this two party system is corrupt and they have ecveryone blinded. ..its like the wwf wrestling they all pretend tell each group what they want to hear. create a divide and then you have lack of unit. Its for their own protections. can you imagine if we all agreed that the current elected officials all needed to go an that washinghton needed to change.

BIG E

SR is my life!
Reaction score
I for one do not welcome our American killing, Drone wielding Overlord.

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
The OP once again ignores details within the information he himself is posting and posts an inaccuracy.

Holder's letter does not say that the President has the authority to kill Americans on U.S. soil.

He says it might be possible to imagine a hypothetical where the President would be authorized to use military force on U.S. soil.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone needs to move along because this is negative towards the administration. Do not ask questions, we all no this is right wing craziness. Im sure the honorable Holder ment something else. The question was probably worded funny or misleading. This is all the bush administration s fault that caused us to be in this position. President Obama inherited this from him so it indirectly their fault. You are un wordly and untraveld , everyone is helpless and the top 1 percent wont alow me the american dream. Its your fault, not cause Im lazy, dress like a moron, and would be an embaressment to a company. My decisions or lack of plan and desire have no baring what so ever on my lot in life. Skrew all u conservative peoples.

This whole thread is stupid.

The topic is misleading and contradicts the actual quotes within.

Further, Rand Paul demanded an answer to an hypothetical question in order to remove a hold on a nomination. Holder answered the hypothetical question with this response as quoted above:

An American president order the use of lethal military force inside the US is "entirely hypothetical, unlikely to occur, and one we hope no president will ever have to confront," Holder wrote.
There is a distinct difference between saying "yes, the president can do something" and, "yes, in response to your asinine hypothetical question and blackmail, we can imagine in some strange situation where the hypothetical might take place."

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I base my views off of experience and we are run by idiots who are untouchable and unaffected by what they do. Continue to believe they have everyones best intrest. Yall are the ones that fail to see not me. what has any of them done for the betterment that wasnt filled w perks and a reason. These same people that parade around their support of us. Do you know when they come to talk with us for an hour take a bunch of pictures they disarm us. .First they took our weapons, but word got out and it was bad pub, so now just the ammo. . No Gal, I am angry in both parties and I am tired, we are tired, this two party system is corrupt and they have ecveryone blinded. ..its like the wwf wrestling they all pretend tell each group what they want to hear. create a divide and then you have lack of unit. Its for their own protections. can you imagine if we all agreed that the current elected officials all needed to go an that washinghton needed to change.

huh? So did they or didnt they take your weapons?

nm....dont answer that. I dont have the strength this morning.

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
One example of such justification would be shooting down a hijacked airliner over Pennsylvania, which was en route to crashing into the White House after other airplanes had already been hijacked and crashed in other parts of the country.

This doesn't make me feel any better about someone having the power to arbitrarily label another as a terrorist and ordering their assassination via drone. That's not to say that this President or even the next President would do such a thing - but allowing this is a dangerous thing.

chad141fa

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I am talking about over seas. yes they did take our weapons and secured them so we could listen to their drivel, it also took away from guys down time not on mission. The rumbling in the ranks then shifted it to keep your weapons but no load out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom