Article Adam Trautman Can Make an Immediate Impact for New Orleans Saints (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
1588038326466.png

By Ian Riise | LWOS

After the New Orleans Saints signed two-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders in free agency, it was unclear if the organization would prioritize adding more offensive weapons in the 2020 NFL Draft. Then on day two, New Orleans traded all four of their day three picks to select tight end Adam Trautman in the third round.

While the Saints already have a good tight end group in Jared Cook and Josh Hill, there are plenty of ways Trautman can boost their passing game in 2020.

Adam Trautman Can Make an Impact for the New Orleans Saints in 2020

Adam Trautman Overview

Even though New Orleans gave up a lot of draft capital to select Trautman, he was a steal in the third round. He was perhaps the closest thing to a complete tight end in the 2020 Draft, projected by many analysts to be selected in the second round. Trautman faces a tough transition from Dayton University, a non-FBS school to the NFL. However, his college game tape illustrates why his ceiling is so high.

Full Story - LWOS

Brees has a history of flourishing with an effective interior line and efficient play at the tight end position.

So the Saints were like, okay, here is another center to go along with McCoy and another pass-catching tight end to go along with Cook.

I LOVE this pick. Finally a TE that can do it all and doesn't tip your hat to run/pass by personnel usage. Long story short right now opposing defenses are going by this formula = J Hill in - Saints are running, Cook in - watch the pass. Majority of the time the defense would be right going by that simple logic and it's not like the Saints could help it before, just very different skill sets that are telling for our TE's. This kid can do it all, blocks extremely well, a very natural receiver - catches balls one handed effortlessly for a TE people, high points the ball well, timing his jumps well, and runs great routes. He is very fluid running after the catch and actually moves with the agility of a WR rather than a bulky TE. Waaaaay too many people are making a big deal over his 40, this kid is going to ball in this offense watch and prove to be one of the big steals of the draft telling you now

As long as he can make that catch that Dan Arnold should have made against the Rams in the NFC Championship game

lol there is a very good reason Dan Arnold went undrafted in 2017 and the Saints trading all their day 3 picks to draft Trautman in the third round who many are regarding as a steal. There is a grand canyon gap between these two players

lol there is a very good reason Dan Arnold went undrafted in 2017 and the Saints trading all their day 3 picks to draft Trautman in the third round who many are regarding as a steal. There is a grand canyon gap between these two players

Just making sure cause that was a game changer lol

As of now I just expect him to make the roster. I'm not saying he can't or won't contribute this year but I think it's expecting too much. TE typically takes a while to develop. I'm sure he has a lot of development to go coming from fcs.

I hope he can expand our offense but for now I see him as good depth. Hopefully he gets out there for a catch or two a game by years end.

As of now I just expect him to make the roster. I'm not saying he can't or won't contribute this year but I think it's expecting too much. TE typically takes a while to develop. I'm sure he has a lot of development to go coming from fcs.

I hope he can expand our offense but for now I see him as good depth. Hopefully he gets out there for a catch or two a game by years end.

Well SP said they have starting roles and visions for each player drafted, and in this draft that is easy to see considering the latest pick was a 3rd rounder which from past Saints drafts and Kamara in the third my confidence is in Ireland until he proves me wrong. If you are just expecting Trautman to just make the team and make a couple catches a game by year's end well I think you will be pleasantly surprised to say the least. Brees made Gates in his rookie year, Graham, and first year working with Cook to find a dependable connection, I really like Trautman's chances

As Payton said, Trautman is a "Y" (in-line) tight end. Cook is an "F" (flex) tight end. There should be opportunities for both to be on the field at the same time. Also, some others have correctly pointed out that we had to scrap a number of plays last year when Josh Hill was hurt. Hill was our only "Y" tight end. Trautman should therefore be good insurance for Hill, while serving as a potential successor for both, and at an extremely affordable price at a time we may be strapped for cash. They will both be in their thirties by the start of the season. With Cook's contract running out after the year, if it becomes clear we need to move on, Trautman will be yes, less versatile and less of a down field threat, but also a less predictable threat who is more effective in the run game, which will open different things up in both the run and pass.

With this pick I was kind of wondering if this was more for 2021 when Cook may no longer be here more so than Trautman having an impact this season.

With this pick I was kind of wondering if this was more for 2021 when Cook may no longer be here more so than Trautman having an impact this season.

If Trautman shows he can block in camp, then Josh could be on the bubble.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom