Article Adam Trautman Can Make an Immediate Impact for New Orleans Saints (1 Viewer)

The offense should be stout. Just hope we have enough on defense to be a complete team.

As Payton said, Trautman is a "Y" (in-line) tight end. Cook is an "F" (flex) tight end. There should be opportunities for both to be on the field at the same time. Also, some others have correctly pointed out that we had to scrap a number of plays last year when Josh Hill was hurt. Hill was our only "Y" tight end. Trautman should therefore be good insurance for Hill, while serving as a potential successor for both, and at an extremely affordable price at a time we may be strapped for cash. They will both be in their thirties by the start of the season. With Cook's contract running out after the year, if it becomes clear we need to move on, Trautman will be yes, less versatile and less of a down field threat, but also a less predictable threat who is more effective in the run game, which will open different things up in both the run and pass.

This is honestly what has me so excited about this pick. We can better disguise what we are doing and provide more protection for Drew if we run more 2 TE sets. I really expect (or at least am hoping for) more personnel groupings with 2TE's on offense. Especially in short field situations - imagine a Taysom package in a "Tiger" like formation with Kamara, Trautman, and Cook basically surrounding him. That'd be killer!

As Payton said, Trautman is a "Y" (in-line) tight end. Cook is an "F" (flex) tight end. There should be opportunities for both to be on the field at the same time. Also, some others have correctly pointed out that we had to scrap a number of plays last year when Josh Hill was hurt. Hill was our only "Y" tight end. Trautman should therefore be good insurance for Hill, while serving as a potential successor for both, and at an extremely affordable price at a time we may be strapped for cash. They will both be in their thirties by the start of the season. With Cook's contract running out after the year, if it becomes clear we need to move on, Trautman will be yes, less versatile and less of a down field threat, but also a less predictable threat who is more effective in the run game, which will open different things up in both the run and pass.
He's faster than his 40 indicates, his form wasn't that great. He ran the 20 yard shuttle a quarter of a second faster than Jerry Jeudy and his 3 cone was better than all receivers besides Mims and only a few tight ends have run faster in the last 20 years. I would say that's fast for a tight end. Im glad he ran the 40 poorly otherwise he might have not landed here

He's faster than his 40 indicates, his form wasn't that great. He ran the 20 yard shuttle a quarter of a second faster than Jerry Jeudy and his 3 cone was better than all receivers besides Mims and only a few tight ends have run faster in the last 20 years. I would say that's fast for a tight end. Im glad he ran the 40 poorly otherwise he might have not landed here
I get that, but he's still not going to be Jared Cook. Cook ran a flat 4.50. But we won't need him to, because he will excel in many other areas.

Agreed. I posted about this the other day. It was pretty clear he had little training in how to run the 40. He was totally upright within the first 5 yds. Iā€™ve seen O linemen run with better technique. šŸ˜‚. With proper coaching, I think he runs in the mid/high 4.6 range! But like u said, I think it worked out well for us!

Hope he turns out to be a good pick. Iā€™m curious how the transition to the NFL will be for him, as he most certainly played against inferior talent. Seems like it could take him longer to adjust and make an impact than some expect, but I very well could be and hope I am wrong. Definitely rooting for him.

If Trautman shows he can block in camp, then Josh could be on the bubble.

Even if he does show that he can block there is no way the Saints cut Josh Hill loose...ā€¦...ā€¦......Payton loves him and he's probably the best blocking TE in the league. Watch any Saints RB highlight reel and you'll quickly see the value that Hill brings to the team.

I can't even begin to guess how Trautman gets utilized this year, especially considering what we are all going through and how that will inevitably impact the preseason activities if we have a 2020 season.

That said, he certainly appears to have all the tools that you want in a "true Y" and it wouldn't surprise me to see him have the 2nd highest snap count of all the skill position players during the 2021 season.

I don't know if I'm happy or sad, to be honest. It's highly likely that the very first Saints team in a long time without Drew Brees under center will be the most talented team in club history. I honestly hope the Brees/Brady rivalry heats up and Drew decides to hang around for at least an additional year, because I really believe the roster will be good enough that it won't matter if he declines a little bit between now and then.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom